Sukhoi Su 80

leaded50

Legendary member
another build for "the hangar" when awaiting servos and recivers , still not in the mailbox.
This was a plane made 2006 (?) with idea of taking over the Russian small flight routs from eg. Ant 24. Well, it didnt..... been quite quiet about this plane afterward, even if showed very good characterics for such use. Later plans was too produce with turbojet engines too.
Its more or less a "triwing" boom plane. I liked the style.. plans made at 1000mm wingspan.

Sukhoi-Su-80 (1).JPG
Su-80GP airplane.jpg

leaded50

Legendary member
this did get easy in building.... just a few troublesome stuff. No plans, just made by a 3D view profile drawing.
Wings isnt glued on yet, i need get servos in mail first, for easyness of mount. At mean time its another plate there, just to hold the motor/booms in front.
1050mm wingspan., a bit wider wing (20mm), for even more float/lift, than the original in scale. Wing used two layers of foam as spar, together with a 4mm carbon tube.
DSC_0701.JPG

Last edited:

leaded50

Legendary member
i used a few techinques here.
1. curbing of tailfin/stabilizer: scires, and drawed over with a bbq scewer. Foamcuts filled with woodglue, also a good layer on outside. (eg. where the cuts are. ) Also i cut of a part off the paper outside , and removed similar part of foam on the stab, to make a reinforced joint.
DSC_0702.JPG

leaded50

Legendary member
The tailbooms aint just square, used typical easy build technique from FT, with scores and a bbq scewer. Rolled to get a rounded profile on foam part at the top, together with a few formers.

This is very close to the shape on the booms on the original plane from Sukhoi. Booms also get very strong as such.

DSC_0703.JPG

leaded50

Legendary member
front of "motorpods" booms, are opening round, made a little bigger then the "squared shape on the booms. Then pressed in flat at all 3 sides and glued in to the boom. It dont show as good at the picture, but now most of the transition from front rounded skin, to the squared boom are quite even. last is adjusted when sanded a little.
This front skin
DSC_0704.JPG
was mounted after the motors with its X. mount, because its a small opening.
Opening is "massaged" inside, with a solder iron, melted some of the foam, to get the necessary spacing for the motor, and airing.

leaded50

Legendary member
i believed by CG calculator, that the batterybox needed be approx against front.... when checking with a 4500mAh battery, it needed mostly be mounted approx. direct under the wing, to keep correct CG !!. Needed extend the "batterybox" further backwards...
This is something that could happend with scratchbuilds.... you never know, before tryed.... ;)

The hatch was planned be as here, in front of wing.
DSC_0705.JPG

leaded50

Legendary member
closer and closer to ended the build.....
Glidetested it today..... fantastic! I "think" i need collect scetches i did, and try make some plans for it. High wing, dual motors.. feels like can be a very nice flyer, as next plane for a new flyer.

If the original plane have such "flying behavior" as this feels can have, the Russians did a good job!!

DSC_0712.JPG
DSC_0713.JPG

Last edited: