The FAA is Up to NO GOOD Again

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Again? They were NEVER up to "good" at any point in time since they got their new found powers.

I keep telling you guys the only way to fight them is to go for a ZERO regulation policy regarding our hobby but noooooo the snowflake generations went with the "Lets compromise" thing and look what it got us.

I will say one more time. The F.A.A. has its own agenda and WE (the flying RC hobby as a whole) DO NOT fit into their plans. They know what rules they want and they are going to get them no matter what if it only boils down to them making the cost to fly insane even for the most fortunate of people with licensing, fee's registration. The killing blow will be a mandatory separate from all other insurances outrageously priced illegally mandated insurance.

For those who are not smart enough to figure this out think about what rules they are imposing then think about how "Drone delivery" or any commercial flying will be done. They shut us down for safety reasons, enacted mandatory rules for us to have to follow but in the case of commercial "drone" flights they will be breaking every one of the rules they hold us to EVERY flight. If you cant figure this whole thing out as a scam then I truly feel bad for you.

Last edited:

Captain Video

Psyborg, I agree fully. But it is big government agency. We only have a few days to make our voices heard. We must weigh in on the this advisory or it will roll over us and we will be regulated out of our hobby. Without our voices they will continue regulate untill it will be illegal to even think about flying.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Oh I'm not saying don't speak your opinions on this. I'm just saying it does not matter. They proved that with the first round.

Now they are dumping the rest of their agenda onto CBO's. The people you should be asking just showed up in the forums about how the CBO applicants are going to respond to this all. The answer is they are going to cave in other wise its obvious they will NOT become a CBO. The FAA did not leave enough time to get that info into the public light let alone organize a response with enough numbers to even slow it down.

You say it best in your signature. You fly and you VOTE.

The ONLY way this is even going to slow the hobby's eventual extinction is to stop messing with the FAA as they have proved that real laws and procedures do not matter to them and to start writing Senators and Representatives letting them know if the FAA keeps running roughshod over our laws to destroy our hobby that their ass wont be shining the seat they sit in come next elections. The way corrupt government works is you either have enough money to buy the laws you need or enough votes to wield power to force what you want. There is no compromise there is no in between. We obviously do not have those "Lobby" dollars to pad politician bank accounts so I guess that leaves the stick.

Dealing with the FAA at this point is about the same as trying to kill Godzilla with a box of rubber bands. Your not gonna even make it look in your direction.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
Unfortunately 'I want to fly stuff as a hobby' is rather low on the general voter's thoughts, especially right now. Given the 2 party system that has taken over our governmental system, only the biggest priority issues end up getting considered by the general voters and therefore the same by representatives.

Consider if this was your choice:
- politician A - Agrees with you on big issue x, doesn't care about the flying RC hobby
- politician B - Disagrees with you on big issue x, agrees with you about the flying RC hobby

Are you going to vote for politician B in this situation? I suspect most people would not...

I am not saying to not tell your representatives about your concerns in this situation.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Unfortunately 'I want to fly stuff as a hobby' is rather low on the general voter's thoughts, especially right now. Given the 2 party system that has taken over our governmental system, only the biggest priority issues end up getting considered by the general voters and therefore the same by representatives.

Consider if this was your choice:
- politician A - Agrees with you on big issue x, doesn't care about the flying RC hobby
- politician B - Disagrees with you on big issue x, agrees with you about the flying RC hobby

Are you going to vote for politician B in this situation? I suspect most people would not...

I am not saying to not tell your representatives about your concerns in this situation.

Its not so much that "we want to fly" as it is We aint letting you walk all over us any more. They back doored us. They are also doing the same thing to drag racers thru a different agency. Creating laws without investigation or representation over profits. this is just a tiny piece of the puzzle.

But again I will state that they have their agenda and we don't matter so trying to compromise and work with them is a useless endeavor and more direct action will be required to undo it or at least keep that tiny ledge we have because they want us gone. PERIOD. Going thru the FAA will not work. They are bought and paid for to the end.

Captain Video

Gentlemen:
I am not suprised. But I will not sit idle while the FAA and Amazon are going to railroad our hobby into oblivion. There have been deaths in footbal than in Model Aviation. Is the goverment mobilizing the forces to regulate football into oblivion? No.
I would still urge everone to listen to the pod cast. They discuss the issue from about 6 minutes to the end of the podcast. One of the guys is an airline pilot and he compares the FAA proposed changes to require, eventually, model aviation pilots to be certified and medically sound to fly. Airline pilots must have medical exams and be recertified every six months. The podcast does a better job explaining it than I can in these few short paragraphs.
Additionally, the proposed rule change also give local law enforcement power to enforce the FAA rules. They did not have any power before. Within proposed rule change they write it in so much lawyer speak, much of the sections can be interpeted any way the FAA wants. You must be physically sound and mentally sound to fly your aircraft. Who makes this decision? You must fly in a manner which you must not endanger people or property. We all follow those rules.
The AMA sanctioned field could have their CBO authorization status pulled if somone crashes and their lipo catches fire and the local FD shows up to put it out. The FAA could pull the fields CBO status because of that. If they feel you were not flying safely. They could ban you from flying as well and levy a fine. Then if the local goventment realizes these fines can be a source of income, fines will fall like rain. Or is someone who does not like the sound the planes make can complain to the local police or the local FAA office, then a fine is leveled and the flying field loses it CBO status.
I am providing examples of what could happen. If the FAA gets this passed, they can also change the Avisor Circulars to what they want without giving us the opportunity to voice our opinions. Do we want to give the FAA and they big money backing companies (Amazon) the carte blache to change the rules when they want? If they get it passed, they will regulate us out of you hobby. No flying your Cub, No gasser fighter, no toy quads for your kids. No kites, no model rockets no paper airplanes. Then no airline pilots, mechanics to replace those who retire.
Go comment on the FAA site and then contact your senators, congressmen and President. I contacted our local tv station but not heard back from them. We may not be able to must 53,000 comments in these few days but we need to be heard.
I fly Model Airplanes and I vote.

JasonK

I already respond pointed out numerous logical flaws in the AC. For example, the failure reporting, if followed 100% (perhaps to the point of malicious compliance) they would be so buried in reports as to never be able to process all of them. As listed a dead stick landing needs to be reported. a 'combat' would account for a report for every plane in it (so FF would account for a few 100+ reports for example). All for things that pose no real danger.

I did miss the whole conflict between not having to be a member of a CBO and following all the club rules (which could just include you being a member thereby effectively forcing the matter).

Scotto

Elite member
I havent read the ac but I listened to the podcast. I would like to point out that it is "too stupid to be stupid". It is an attack. It is not supposed to make sense. We think logically and assume that quality in others. The people making policy are sociopaths. They are insane people on a power trip.
1eagey.jpg

I suggest civil disobedience. Dont take the orwellianly named competency test for starters.

M

MCNC

We want convenience, we want it quick, we want it cheap, we are too lazy get out of our cars to order a 2000 calorie burger. This has been headed our way for a long time. Folks getting what they ask for. Don't see any way to stop it now. Sad.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
An FAA Advisory Circular (AC) is not regulatory in nature. While it represents the FAA's interpretation of a rule or classification of rules, it is the actual regulations in 14 CFR that regulate, not ACs. I could give you countless AC references that the FAA themselves do not follow. A perfect example is when the FAA issues revised ACs that undo massive parts of the previous versions. While not as benign as a SAFO, I would not get too invested in an AC that clearly shows the regulators don't know what they are talking about.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
What we really need is a congressional move to stop the FAA from regulating ad infinitum the airspace over private property. Their jurisdiction, as mandated by the Commerce Clause of the US Constitution should be limited to "usable" airspace above private property. For instance, above the highest structure, or an arbitrary altitude such as 400 feet AGL.

M

MCNC

Is the ultimate goal not to hand you a happy meal? Can that be done from 400 feet? What is the real goal here, maybe I am mistaken.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
The AMA are up in arms about the FAA's UAS registration web site where it says all recreational UASs must be registered (not one registration for each pilot) - and yet AMA now says that the latest AC is acceptable (no doubt because they think their affiliate fields are safe).

From AMA's August Magazine: YOU MIGHT HAVE NOTICED that the FAA has updated the FAADroneZone website to be compliant with Remote ID, a step with which recreational users are not required to comply until September 2023. The current FAA website now requests that recreational users enter information for each of their UAS upon registration and renewal. AMA feels that this request was in error and has already been in discussions with the FAA regarding this latest update. The FAA has investigated our concerns and informed us that it is working to resolve the issue.

I wonder if the AMA feels a warm fuzzy that the FAA "is working to resolve the issue" for them. If so, they are pretty ignorant of what the FAA really intends.

Maybe every scratch builder in the US needs to "register" every single foam board project in their hanger - and keep it up. A little inundation always helps a bureaucracy understand its limits.

JasonK

well, IIRC the FAA came away with the idea that the average number of models per hobbyist was just over 1... I find that to be _very_ unlikely. Even with my whole goal of not having 'to many' things, I have have something like 13-15 fully functional flying 'UAV's in my house [6 are from flite fest - 4 2channel ez packs and my son picked up 2 planes) and I have parts for more stuff.

That puts my house at an average of 3/person, but many of those are sub-250g and don't require registration.... and the only 2 things I have that could even possibly have a part number are the whoop and quad I have (only things I didn't completely scratch build).

Scotto

Elite member
Maybe every scratch builder in the US needs to "register" every single foam board project in their hanger - and keep it up. A little inundation always helps a bureaucracy understand its limits.
They would love that. They dont use rolodexes for that stuff you know. They are miserable people whos only satisfaction in life is to make other people miserable too. Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
Is the ultimate goal not to hand you a happy meal? Can that be done from 400 feet? What is the real goal here, maybe I am mistaken.
The real goal is subjugation. Never let a bureaucracy define itself, or make its own rules. We have 60 years of exponential growth of "government" which has the sole goal of feeding itself with power and money. Quite simply, government bureaucracies always overreach, simply because they can.