Solved The Top Gear Drone Of Intrusiveness!

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
So I saw this episode of Top Gear and saw this clip with an RC plane shaped like the predator UAS. It sounds like a typical rc plane with a brusheless outrunner, so I was wondering if anyone knew whether it was based off plans, a kit/ARF, or if it was probably custom built? It think it's be a cool plane to build one day. (The RC Predator is at 3:15 in the clip)

Last edited:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I came across these plans one time, forget where it was. It could have been here even. See what you think of these

I only got the tiled ones as is but you might be able to find a website if you look up the name

Attachments

• Predator Pusher Drone Tiled Plans.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

Flyingshark

Master member
So I saw this episode of Top Gear and saw this clip with an RC plane shaped like the predator UAS. It sounds like a typical rc plane with a brusheless outrunner, so I was wondering if anyone knew whether it was based off plans, a kit/ARF, or if it was probably custom built? It think it's be a cool plane to build one day. (The RC Predator is at 3:15 in the clip)
Hey, another Top Gear fan! I think the TGPD Drone of Intrusiveness was a custom build. The shot of the motor has holes drilled through the firewall, exposing what looks like plywood. It also seems big for an kit... (see what I did there? ;))

The shots they claim were taken from it were probably done by the camera helicopter though.

The TGPD Eaty Thing of Devastation or the TGPD Tank of Righteousness would probably be easier builds...

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
there have been RC predator kits out for years. Really nice fiberglass ones too. Havent seen too many in foam because of the long thin wings on them but there are many mass produced Predators.

Even Etsy has one if you search google for RC predator drone. they range from 79 dollars to over 1000 so there is a range of size and quality to choose from.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!

Ohh I just found that dude they were chasing at his family reunion!!!! I THOUGHT he was faymoose. there is a REALLY strong family resemblance.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
there have been RC predator kits out for years. Really nice fiberglass ones too. Havent seen too many in foam because of the long thin wings on them but there are many mass produced Predators.

Even Etsy has one if you search google for RC predator drone. they range from 79 dollars to over 1000 so there is a range of size and quality to choose from.
Hey, another Top Gear fan! I think the TGPD Drone of Intrusiveness was a custom build. The shot of the motor has holes drilled through the firewall, exposing what looks like plywood. It also seems big for an kit... (see what I did there? ;))

The shots they claim were taken from it were probably done by the camera helicopter though.

The TGPD Eaty Thing of Devastation or the TGPD Tank of Righteousness would probably be easier builds...
Thanks for the tips! After looking for fiberglass Reapers I found this, which I highly suspect is the Top Gear Drone Of Intrusiveness: https://www.nitroplanes.com/projet-drone-2500mm-kit.html There's just one problem
1611180061443.png
which on Nitro Planes essentially means discontinued :(
If I every see one on RC Groups I may get it since I know which one to look for.
It is really too bad that the era of cheap fiberglass planes seems to have ended, it's just not as easy to make certain aircraft with foam or balsa while keeping the same shape and integrity.
Also, the motor being moved from the exterior to the interior would explain the holes drilled in it for cooling

Flyingshark

Master member
Thanks for the tips! After looking for fiberglass Reapers I found this, which I highly suspect is the Top Gear Drone Of Intrusiveness: https://www.nitroplanes.com/projet-drone-2500mm-kit.html There's just one problem View attachment 189764 which on Nitro Planes essentially means discontinued :(
If I every see one on RC Groups I may get it since I know which one to look for.
It is really too bad that the era of cheap fiberglass planes seems to have ended, it's just not as easy to make certain aircraft with foam or balsa while keeping the same shape and integrity.
Also, the motor being moved from the exterior to the interior would explain the holes drilled in it for cooling
Oh, that looks pretty darn similar! All you'd need to do is paint the TGPD motto on it! "Ambitious but inept"

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
@Ryan O. There is a popular RC model that is similar to a predator called the Talon. Several people on the forums here have and fly them. @CarolineTyler is one of the ones who did an in depth thread on her build if you are interested.

I did see several predators on ebay you could look into as well.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
The
@Ryan O. There is a popular RC model that is similar to a predator called the Talon. Several people on the forums here have and fly them. @CarolineTyler is one of the ones who did an in depth thread on her build if you are interested.

I did see several predators on ebay you could look into as well.
The X-UAV mini talon is my preferred of all the talons, it's cheap, very moddable and there's a ton of stuff on thingiverse for it.
Currently working on my 2nd mini talon incorporating everything I've learnt from #1