The Toughest Fix?

SkyEye

With the low wing war bird that I own every crash rips off the wing. After I fixed it I thought it'd be stupid to have to repair the rips and tears on both the fuselage and the wing where they once connected. So when I found that the wing was cheaper I decided to strengthen the fuselage where it connects to the wing so that In the event of a crash the wing breaks free and I wont have to tediously repair that part of the fuselage. Is this smart? Or will it cause more trouble?

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
Always plan the point of failure. If you don't physics will find one. You want sort of a mechanical fuse. Something sacrificial to save more expensive parts. That is why a lot of multirotor builders just zip tie everything on. What you are doing is smart because if you crash enough with a hard mounted wing, something more expensive will break.

But there is a balance. You need to make sure the wing is mounted securely enough that it won't fail during normal use but weak enough that it will break free in the event of a crash.

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
You should check out killerplanes down and dirty vids. He has a lot of good information on reinforcing.

SkyEye

Razor, going to what you said about making sure the wing is strong enough to sustain flight yet weak enough to break free. The wing is rather wobbly because the foam is squished from the impact with the ground so there's a gap between the outer fuselage and the wing. So to fix this I plan to put duck tape there to fill in the gap.