Question on EZ PacK V2 Max Weight of Model?

L Edge

Master member
With the extra power of the V2 motors, looking for what max weight of their model (including FPV, lights) you have flying.

Looked at the EZ Plan Index files where very few weights are listed. Understanding material used, amount of glue, size, location of props, and shape vary, but I am sorta looking for that gut feeling when I lay it out on paper.

For instance, Easy-Peasy weighs in at 50.9 grams and Mini-cat at 50.2 grams.
Decided to re-focus on Magic Jr(flying wing) and go for top speed rather than larger area for slower speeds.
It will be interesting to see what I need to do with the bipe to get it flying. Lotta surface area, so I'm guessing it will need trimming.

Hint:
If you are still using the V1 board, suggest you either use glue or epoxy to strengthen the battery leads(+ and -) on the board. Every time your battery rips out (nose plant), it stresses the leads and sooner or later, it will either damage or short out the battery or the board or both.

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
With the extra power of the V2 motors, looking for what max weight of their model (including FPV, lights) you have flying.

Looked at the EZ Plan Index files where very few weights are listed. Understanding material used, amount of glue, size, location of props, and shape vary, but I am sorta looking for that gut feeling when I lay it out on paper.

Decided to re-focus on Magic Jr(flying wing) and go for top speed rather than larger area for slower speeds.
It will be interesting to see what I need to do with the bipe to get it flying. Lotta surface area, so I'm guessing it will need trimming.

Hint:
If you are still using the V1 board, suggest you either use glue or epoxy to strengthen the battery leads(+ and -) on the board. Every time your battery rips out (nose plant), it stresses the leads and sooner or later, it will either damage or short out the battery or the board or both.
I have been aiming for 60 grams and under with the v1. I have flown up to 65 grams with no problem. Sounds like the v2 can handle a few grams more.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob

Hint:
I have given this careful consideration. The original C-17 "Freighter" weighed 52 grams. and it flew well for over 18-20mins. The FT Micro FPV solution is a really light weight (~5g). I have made a Geobat inspired Disc Plane. and it is a 20"Dia. ~3" thick ring. In it's current version,
1705590424772.png
t7gwom2u8pjxxghrremd
OIP.RfBvmcGb1W7b9NxMN9XO8AHaEK

It has about a 110g AUW, including Lights, FPV and battery.

What we are Cl vs. Cd issue primarily. If we can decrease the Craft drag below the 50-70% thrust value.
As we make the craft bigger, The Drag becomes the limiting agent. I have found that getting the craft below 70g tends to be enough, 50g is ideal.

Here is a Video on how-to add FPV to FT-EZ builds, I created using the EZ-DiscPlane:

Last edited:

L Edge

Master member
I have given this careful consideration. The original C-17 "Freighter" weighed 52 grams. and it flew well for over 18-20mins. The FT Micro FPV solution is a really light weight (~5g). I have made a Geobat inspired Disc Plane. and it is a 20"Dia. ~3" thick ring. In it's current version,
View attachment 241969
t7gwom2u8pjxxghrremd

What we are Cl vs. Cd issue primarily. If we can decrease the Craft drag below the 50-70% thrust value.
As we make the craft bigger, The Drag becomes the limiting agent. I have found that getting the craft below 70g tends to be enough, 50g is ideal.

Here is a Video on how-to add FPV to FT-EZ builds, I created using the EZ-DiscPlane:

I have been aiming for 60 grams and under with the v1. I have flown up to 65 grams with no problem. Sounds like the v2 can handle a few grams more.

Thanks

L Edge

Master member
View attachment 241969
t7gwom2u8pjxxghrremd

You brought back memories with the geobat. Mine was 40" with elevons in the back, ailerons on the side, and spoilers and flaps near the motor. Putting the spoilers/flaps on a pot, used it as a trim for the nose. When wind blew, 5-10 mph trimmed the nose down and it allowed you to fly and not get blown away. When no wind, the flaps allowed you to trim it to keep you from digging the nose.
What fun.

L Edge

Master member
Finished off on my 4 EZ plane maidens and the mini-bipe flew with a weight of 75.3 grams!!!!! Weather is crappy outside so invented my catcher in the cellar. It is a bipe, so don't know how other shapes will do with the same weight. Now have a number.

At least I can explore launching at different speeds, and see where to find the best position for CG covering the range of throttle launches.

Mini-bipe.JPG

L Edge

Master member
IMG_1242.JPG

IMG_1243.JPG

This is the setup that you can use to get to explore your EZ model that you designed and at least get the CG and insure your rudder functions. It is very interesting by using throttle management, you can practice climb, level or descend flight and or use rudder to hit the spot..

The first pic shows the distance(22 ft) to let you do you thing, hit the tarp, then it slides down and no damage results.
The second pic shows the bottom of the tarp is above the ground to prevent damage. What a way to enjoy the day where it is cold and raining outside. Used bungy cord to reduce shock.

L Edge

Master member
Family of four:

Family of 4.JPG

Met my goal of designing 4 , building, and have it fly indoors as well as outdoors for the month of January. Sadly, I have only a 2 pack of V2 motors and only 2 FC's. Hence, it is always changing the electronics. Got fed up and placed an order for two more that is a combined order of motor, battery, and FC.

At this point, all are flying straight(blurp of left or right to see start of a turn) in the cellar and then going out to the soccer field(all below freezing) to explore the flight environment of each. Concentrating on my flying wing design and what it can do in the wind. Ended up adding round lead weight to the leading edge to prevent it from flipping wingtips in the gusty winds. Even got to hover and got it to fly backwards and recover using throttle management. It now weighs 78.9 grams. It will be interesting to see what the max will be by others.

L Edge

Master member
Family of four is presently a family of three.

What happened is I fine tuned the flying wing(Magic jr) to fly in the wind 1/2 throttle holding level. So yesterday, left camera at home and winds were blowing about 5mph and gusts probably up to 10mph. Got off 2 batteries worth of flight and on the third, winds picked up.

I fly in a soccer field surrounded by trees that are over 100 ft high and on a up slope hill. The hill peaks about 800 ft away and slopes down and the whole area is covered with all high trees surrounding the houses and streets. Get the picture.

So, gust hits plane and drives it nose up. Stalls and drops nose badly, so tried for turn and climb by t/r and got it, result was again nose up, now higher, and further back. Repeat cycle, over and over again. Long story short, cleared trees and continued rising higher and going backwards. Cleared hill, and over a number of t/r cycles, the wind caused Magic JR to disappear over in the horizon. Gave up. Used my phone with maps and distances, searched streets and trees for over 2 hours looking for plane.

Bad:
Since EZ equipment is designed on 2 channels, if you fly in a wind, remember if you are uncomfortable with not enough forward thrust at 1/2 throttle, go home and build.

Good:
Got to practice my flying using only 2 channels, and would you believe, it was still responding when it disappeared over the hill. So the range of the TX/RX is better than 800 ft.
Magic jr in the process of being rebuilt.