the unofficial let's talk about coffee thread!

Marzipan

who here is a coffee snob? an interested neophyte? unenlightened sludge drinker?

I'm borderline snob, but often stoop to sludge for the pure simplicity of it.

there are two rule of thumb to adhere to if you are a coffee enthusiast, whether snob or troglodyte...

control your water temperature.
control your grind uniformity.

and your coffee will always be enjoyable.

if you have a collection of coffee making gear, share the list! :D

Marzipan

I ran out of time when I started making the op, but now I have a breather so will list my small collection of coffee gear.

I'm a fan of pour over and will be getting the V60

Baratza Vario coffee grinder
Chemex Pour Over with a SS Kone v3 filter
several long neck / spout kettles and I'm looking into getting the Bonavita temperature controlled 1L electric kettle

Whit Armstrong

Elite member
who here is a coffee snob? an interested neophyte? unenlightened sludge drinker?

I'm borderline snob, but often stoop to sludge for the pure simplicity of it.

there are two rule of thumb to adhere to if you are a coffee enthusiast, whether snob or troglodyte...

control your water temperature.
control your grind uniformity.

and your coffee will always be enjoyable.

if you have a collection of coffee making gear, share the list! :D

My dad is the biggest coffee fan.. ..But I'm too young to have had it.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
1000 words below sez it all!
16325236815441458329912590980822.jpg

LitterBug

Techno Nut
you like sludge eh?

snobs know your coffee must be freshly roasted by you or a local roaster and no older than 24 hours, which is what's needed for fresh beans to off gas all the carbon dioxide.
This is not the sludge of burnt beans that people fork out $7+ for at chain stores.

Have you ever had 100% Kona? This is the smoothest stuff I have ever had. We've actually had this fresh roasted at the farm. What we get shipped is pretty darn close to what we had at the farm. Excellent beans, roasted, vacuum packed for shipping, stored in a sealed container, and ground as needed.

We have some local roasters I've tried. If they don't roast them right or use crap beans, it doesn't matter how fresh they are out of the roaster.

Cheers!
LitterBug

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
They say coffee stints your growth, and my parents won't let me have it.

I drink a pot a day or more some 24 hour periods. Have since I was about 16 or so. You cant tell it stunts anything if my belly is any indication. Its grown steadily over the years since I had to stop working on 05. I was mid 160's back then and now hover just over or just under 200.

EDIT: oh yeah as for the thread title.. I grew up in a construction based family then went into the Navy. Basically if it fits in a cup and I cants see the bottom of the cup I drink it. None of that sissy boy mochachacka latte or any of them other fru fru non intelligible names other drink. Although I have been known to mix in some coffee brandy or Kahlua on occasion

Marzipan

This is not the sludge of burnt beans that people fork out $7+ for at chain stores.

Have you ever had 100% Kona? This is the smoothest stuff I have ever had. We've actually had this fresh roasted at the farm. What we get shipped is pretty darn close to what we had at the farm. Excellent beans, roasted, vacuum packed for shipping, stored in a sealed container, and ground as needed.

We have some local roasters I've tried. If they don't roast them right or use crap beans, it doesn't matter how fresh they are out of the roaster.

Cheers!
LitterBug

sorry...I forgot the /s to my comment.

I have had 100% Konda and honestly, I've always gone back to really good central American grown beans.

anyone here tried kopi luwak, aka cat shit coffee? I did...11 years ago I think. the cup cost me $30 CAD, LoL. it's lightly roasted, so it was mild tasting. was very bright. I drank it so I could tell the story :D

Marzipan

My Son started drinking Coffee long before I did and he will soon be taller than me. Most parents just don't want their energetic kids pumped up even more on caffeine and sugar. LOL

well...I'm of the mind that it's unlikely someone so young would be on a public forum, so looked at it as an ESL mistranslation rather than a kid who is not allowed to drink coffee.

@PsyBorg and coffee doesn't stunt growth, LoL! my SiL is the shortest of his family and he's 6' 2" and has been drinking coffee since he was a tot. they've let their two oldest drink coffee since they were little. leads to interesting comments / conversations when someone starts the stunt your growth routine. he says, 'it didn't stop me!!!'

as a teen I drank copious amounts of coffee...but sometime in my mid-30's I had to stop drinking any later on as I couldn't fall asleep. then I had cut back how much I drank in the morning. it's still a fair bit though...just over a litre or so.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
sorry...I forgot the /s to my comment.

I have had 100% Konda and honestly, I've always gone back to really good central American grown beans.

anyone here tried kopi luwak, aka cat shit coffee? I did...11 years ago I think. the cup cost me $30 CAD, LoL. it's lightly roasted, so it was mild tasting. was very bright. I drank it so I could tell the story :D
I have though about the Cat $#!+ coffee, but never pulled the trigger. If it were readily available, I would try it just to try it.

Marzipan

I have though about the Cat $#!+ coffee, but never pulled the trigger. If it were readily available, I would try it just to try it.

yup. there really isn't much to talk about though. it's just coffee. it had an unusual journey to get to your cup, but it's just coffee. having had it though, I get to enjoy the wow / shock moment on their face. that's what it's all about. cat shit coffee = selfish gratification and pleasure! LoLoL!!!