Thoughts on plan to restart rc flying

New guy here, love watching the FT videos, and it has rekindled the passion. I used (10 years ago) fly both fixed and collective pitch helicopters to a basic level, before dropping the hobby due to a relocation then kids then ( insert excuse here).

Anyway want to get back into fixed wing flight, and eventually teach my son once I have figured it out myself. I intend to fly in the back yard, we live on 2 acres. I am worried that it might be too small a space to learn in, but there is a 5 acre field at the bottom of the yard.

So after reading a lot, here is my plan.

I would love to build one of the FT foamies, but I am going to stay away from them for my first plane, as I would not know if it was my flight abilities or a poorly built plane that would cause a problem.

The sport cub s, looks interesting, but with a wingspan of 24" seems too small, I think I would prefer a bigger plan to be more stable outside.

This then leaves me torn between the delta ray and the super cub lp. The super cub is larger, which might be more stable, but I am worried about the space needed to learn in. The delta Ray looks more complex...... But at least the nose would protect the props and motors a bit might be too much for a complete beginner.

We live in calgary, so we are at altitude does this make much of a difference as I guess the lift would be reduced slightly.

I am looking for some thoughts and recommendations, thanks in advance.

Raptortech

Foam Addict
I don't know much about the the ray or the cub, but I'd like to encourage you to go ahead and build for your first plane. The FT Flyer is a great place to start! If you watch the video, everything is explained, and the people on the forum are happy to walk you through just about any problem you might have!

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Have to second the Flyer, especially if you are re-teaching yourself to fly. Plus it has the added bonus of needing less space to fly in. It's always a good idea to have as much space as possible when starting out or starting over, but we all can't have wide open prairies to fly on... :D

Capt_Beavis

Posted a thousand or more times
I like you thoughts on not building first. The Sport Cub S is fairly stable in beginner mode. The delta ray can handle much more wind and is very solid. I own both. If you get the Sport Cub S get the BNF kit and buy your own DX4e. I have had transmission problems with both of my cheap starter Tx's. I lost one plane and almost a second before I figured out the issue.

In beginner mode the Delta Ray doesn't turn very well IMO. Use high rates and both rudder and aileron to turn around. The Sport Cub S is really easy to cruise around low with and turns well, and is light enough to take minor crashes without damage.

I would lean towards starting with a SCS and moving to the DR later. Heck, get the DR RTF kit and BNF SCS so you have a plane for each of you. I think you will find with SAFE that it won't take you long pick up flying again.

PhenomPilot

I learned on the FT Flyer that I built and haven't regretted it. Yeah I crashed it a few times but also got better at building and was able to get into the hobby cheaply. Since you have some experience, I am sure you will pick it up quickly. The FT flyer flies great in my half acre back yard but a full acre would be ideal and allow room for mistakes. Either way you go, I am sure you will be happy. Welcome to the forums!

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
You could build the flyer wrongly in every possible way and it would still fly fine. I recall Josh talking in one of the pod-casts about the flyer in the intro still flying after having most of its wing removed by a tricopter.

earthsciteach

Welcome to the forums, Buzzmonster! You have definitely done your research and thought this out well.

My first RC plane was the Horizon Super Cub. I still have it and fly it today. I've upgraded to a brushless motor and 4 channels. There is plenty of info on doing this once you are ready. It is a very solid, first airplane. Two acres of space is pretty tight when first learning, but the 5 acre area you have access to sounds promising. You won't go wrong with the Cub.

Also, the FT Flyer is a good option, and far less costly. As others have stated, it is very easy to fly and its hard to mess up the build. When you crash it, you won't feel so bad!

The Cub would still provide valuable experience, even if you go with the Flyer. But, I AM a bit biased toward the Super Cub. :D

Well thanks all, great feedback. I will look into the flyer and let you know what I decide. I have a feeling it is going to be an interesting journey.

Ace2317

It was mentioned before, but if you're short on space, the Delta Ray may not be for you. I love it. It's super agile when in expert mode and super calm when in beginner. BUT, if you don't have a lot of room, the fact that it limits your maximum pitch makes for wide turns. I don't know first-hand, but I can only guess that it will probably be the same way with most SAFE planes.

I started with a Hobbyzone Champ and a Vapor, both of which are great planes to learn with. They don't need much space and can take a beating.

Also, the FT Flyer really will fly great, almost no matter how you build it. I wouldn't say you can't build your first plane if you don't want to. But it may be easier to start with something premade.

airhawk

Crashing Ace
New guy here, love watching the FT videos, and it has rekindled the passion. I used (10 years ago) fly both fixed and collective pitch helicopters to a basic level, before dropping the hobby due to a relocation then kids then ( insert excuse here).

Anyway want to get back into fixed wing flight, and eventually teach my son once I have figured it out myself. I intend to fly in the back yard, we live on 2 acres. I am worried that it might be too small a space to learn in, but there is a 5 acre field at the bottom of the yard.

So after reading a lot, here is my plan.

I would love to build one of the FT foamies, but I am going to stay away from them for my first plane, as I would not know if it was my flight abilities or a poorly built plane that would cause a problem.

The sport cub s, looks interesting, but with a wingspan of 24" seems too small, I think I would prefer a bigger plan to be more stable outside.

This then leaves me torn between the delta ray and the super cub lp. The super cub is larger, which might be more stable, but I am worried about the space needed to learn in. The delta Ray looks more complex...... But at least the nose would protect the props and motors a bit might be too much for a complete beginner.

We live in calgary, so we are at altitude does this make much of a difference as I guess the lift would be reduced slightly.

I am looking for some thoughts and recommendations, thanks in advance.

if your looking to get back in and re learn 4 ch skills um t 28 if not um p51 or the regular sized p51 both are good though

Last edited:
So after a bit more reading, and procrastinating I have decided to go with the sport cub S, followed by the FT Flyer. Wish me luck ..... and thanks again for all the advice.