Tips on first balsa kit

atpgalaxy

Hey guys, I am. Getting real good at flying foam airplanes and I wan to step it up a bit. I have found that buildig your own plane is a lot cheaper than buying a RTF, BNF, or ARF. Also, since it is summer, I have a whole lot of time so I've decided that I should try building my own plane. I haven't built my own plane before so I don't know if I'm making a good choice on my first balsa plane.

This is the link to the plane that I am interested in building
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__29648__Big_Stick_Laser_Cut_Balsa_Kit_1060mm_Kit_.html

If someone could please tell me if this is a good beginner build and if not, direct me to some build that would be easier?

Thanks,
Alex

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Hi Alex! Welcome to the forum!:)
As a beginner balsa builder with a few kits under my belt, That may not be the best first build. Joker 53___ (sorry I forgot all the numbers!) did a build of another HK kit and had a lot of trouble muddling through the instructions. I think that you might want to check out alien aircraft and more specifically the Stormy:https://www.alienaircraft.com/k101.htm

It's a docile easy to build trainer that also has some aerobatic potential. I have not flown it, but I have read that it is easy to build and fly.

I hope that you post a build, I'm about to post an old glow plane's rebuild into an E-trainer for my brother.:D

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
It is normally more expensive to build a plane from a kit than to buy an ARF.
Covering and other parts seems to add up the cost so much that the price will be higher at the end.

The kit you linked to seems to be a really nice plane - a copy of e-flite Mini Ultra Stick - one of the best planes in its size.
My experience of HK kit is that they are far from the quality of US and European kits but I would say - Buy the Big Stick and do not put a to big motor in it.

Funny that HK call the mini plane the "BIG STICK" compared to the e-flite Ultra Stick Light with a wing span of 76 " 1930 mm and even larger "Big Stick" ;-)

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
I know everyone has differing tastes but having built both laser cut "tab and notch" style balsa kits as well as traditional die cut kits, I have to say I prefer the die cut kits. I hate working with thin CA as much as you have to with laser cut kits. With die cut you can use plain old wood/carpenters glue for the bulk of the build.

Balsa USA and Sig are excellent sources of traditional kits

Here's my build thread of a Balsa USA kit here on Flite Test.

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?6145-Balsa-USA-Stingray-120-Kit-Build&highlight=stingray

atpgalaxy

Thanks for all of the replies, I have read and looked into what all of you guys have said. I am interested in the Stormy that Foam Addict recommended but, I had a few questions about it. First, I was wondering if I should just buy the $39.99 kit and buy the other part needed as my budget is very small. I am not interested in paying for the $120.99 because it seems like I could get the engine and other parts that it includes for a cheaper total price. Also, I like the second option because it includes the wheels, pushrods, and more. I was just wondering what one I should get. The last thing is, is that site reputable and safe to buy from. I haven't bought any RC things from an online store and I am just scared that the quality might be bad or I might get what I didn't pay for.

Again, thanks for all your help so far.

badboyhitman

I do a lot of building especially short kits and scratch building if you want a nice kit I would start with the Top Flite kits they have great building instructions and tips on how to do certain sections they also come with all the hardware to complete the build the other manufacturer who has some great kits is Great Planes, one of the first kits to start with is the Contender from Top Flite it is an easy build and great trainer and move into the more aerobatic later as you get past the basic flight training, runs great with an OS .46 and 5 standard servos the kit is about 99.99 at Tower Hobbies, and engine will run between 74.99 to 124.99. With this kit it will be a great starting point to a very enjoyable and later on a great flight.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
The Stick type from Mountain Models is the Lucky ACE, which was my first balsa kit build. Super easy to build and flies GREAT! I also built their Switchback Sport which is also easy to build and very docile. The MM kits are very good values, as their quality is great, they include pushrods, landing gear, and a lot of other parts that others may not include.