Traveling from CA to FTFF 2015 ... I need LIPO and r/c travel tips

joshcarz

Hello Everyone,

I'm very excited. I will be attending FTFF 2015! I live in CA and will be traveling by plane. Although I'm excited, I'm nervous about traveling with the R/C gear ie LIPOS and multirotors. I've been doing some research but I'd like to hear some real world experiences or tips you use.

My current plans are do bring my lipos (all connections taped and batteries stored in LIPO bags) and 250 size quad with me as a carry on. I also think I will try to bring my controller with me as a carry on. I really don't want it to get lost if something happens to my checked luggage. I will bundle all my tools and pack those in my checked bag since I don't think I can carry those on.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Oh did I also mention my wife and I will also have our 9 month old daughter along. I think she will also be a carry on. For some reason they won't let children ride under the plane. Oh well ;)

Hope to see you and meet you all soon

Josh H

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
Carry the daughter on, but store her in the overhead. Maybe not.

Sounds like you got your kit trans sorted. Bring distractions for the daughter. Something to drink or suck or sip on during the take offs and landings. Stuff to keep her occupied while she is wide awake. Then during the sleepy times, hold her close and comfortable.

See you at FTFF 2015

mybad

No problem with LIPOs for me.

One year ago, I flew SPIRIT from Tampa to Detroit. I had several LIPOs in zip lock bags, with the ends taped. I also carried a copy of the LIPO regulations for carrying on aircraft. I also carried my Tx and lots of electronics such as ESCs.

After scanning the bag with the LIPOs, they asked me to open it up. The LIPOs looked suspicious on their scan, but they seemed completely unconcerned when I took them out of the bag and pointed out what they were. They scanned the bag again and I was on my way. I didn't even have to show them the FAA regs on LIPOs. No problem at all.

These were 3S 2200 mAh.

Oh, make sure you do not bring along any tool that looks like a weapon. I lost my nice multi-tool that way.

RichB

Oh, make sure you do not bring along any tool that looks like a weapon. I lost my nice multi-tool that way.

For future reference: You can ask for a mailing envelope and mail home any items that you can't get through security like knives, etc.

mybad

For future reference: You can ask for a mailing envelope and mail home any items that you can't get through security like knives, etc.

I wish I would have known that! Thanks, and I'll remember that for the future.

meehan

Oh hey, someone else in my area! I'm in Sunnyvale and will be flying out of SFO.

I'm from Monterey, also will be flying out of SFO with a bag full of lipos, FPV gear, mini tri, Tx and a few spare motors / escs and servos to build a plane or two while I am there.