Trying to sort a few things out: Noob questions

BigShooter

I am looking to pick up a 5.8ghz 200mw tx and rx to get in to FPV. From what I gather, if the tx's power requirement is listed as 7.0-15v(w/12v optimal), I can tap in to my 3s lipo flight battery to power it and the plane, correct? And if so, how much extra battery drain/decreased flight time can be expected off my 2200mah packs? Also, when looking around at cameras, I noticed them in NTSC and PAL standard. Which one is most recommended for FPV, or does one have an advantage over the other?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
BigS,

First off, yes, so long as you can tolerate any noise -- the motor/ESC on your airframe will generate a lot of noise on your power lines. Without a filter/regulator inline, you may get some interesting artifacts in your video. how bad? hard to say. some can't tolerate it, some ignore it. some setups are worse than others. yours in particular already has a regulator on the board (hence "7-24v", not "5V exactly") so the power rail is being cleaned . . . how much is hard to say.

As for power used, not much. Spec rating of 200mW gets a bit squishy, but the current draw on these things will be nothing compared to your motor. 10% hit in time at most . . . but make sure you've got a battery monitor of some kind setup.

NTSC vs. PAL? depends on where you live. Gear hear in the Americas is mostly NTSC. Europe is PAL . . . elsewhere, you'll want to look it up . . . but most modern displays can be configured for either.

BigShooter

BigS,

First off, yes, so long as you can tolerate any noise -- the motor/ESC on your airframe will generate a lot of noise on your power lines. Without a filter/regulator inline, you may get some interesting artifacts in your video. how bad? hard to say. some can't tolerate it, some ignore it. some setups are worse than others. yours in particular already has a regulator on the board (hence "7-24v", not "5V exactly") so the power rail is being cleaned . . . how much is hard to say.

As for power used, not much. Spec rating of 200mW gets a bit squishy, but the current draw on these things will be nothing compared to your motor. 10% hit in time at most . . . but make sure you've got a battery monitor of some kind setup.

NTSC vs. PAL? depends on where you live. Gear hear in the Americas is mostly NTSC. Europe is PAL . . . elsewhere, you'll want to look it up . . . but most modern displays can be configured for either.

Thanks for the info, Dan!