Turnigy 9x aileron mixing

vnv

Hi all,

could someone please give a hint for aileron channel mixing.
I am trying to run two 9g servos. Being new into the hobby I cannot find solution on how to output pwm to channel 1 and 7 for aileron control.I own Turnigy 9x v2 with 8ch receiver but manuals are just bad for it.

By trying around I have connected my 2 9g servos to chan1 and chan7. Went to [aildiff] on page 2 (planes) and set values -100 -100 for both channels and now it seems that they are working opposite. I don't belive this is the right way, I also don't know if this is why [aildiff] is used for at all.

PS: It would be nice to have some user created manuals for T9x. If someone would help with starting it I would gladly put effort to take care about the docs.

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times
A user written manual is probably out there - the TX has been out since 2008 and the firmware didn't change much when then moved it over to 2.4Ghz - think I saw one once but I haven't found it again. A lot of people just re-flash the nasty thing away with er9x or OpenTX either of which is far superior.

Aildiff is probably because you can set up differential on the Ailerons if you are using separate servos. Try using +100

Remember there are two things going on. The fact that the ailerons work in opposition so you want +100 on one side and -100 on the other. And the fact that the servos may already work in opposition on the model (or not) so you need reverse the direction of one of them.

pressalltheknobs

Took a look at the manual and AILDIF looks like the right thing. From what I can see you want something like.

State: ACT (I'm guessing but you want to activate it)

Ail1: -100 +100
Ail2: +100 -100

The manual says there's some warning it gives you when changing direction

Then you may need to reverse on or both of the servos on the REVERSE page to get the direction right depending on your model.

You should end up with moving the ail stick to the left moves the port aileron up (left side if you were sitting in the cockpit facing the front of the plane) and the starboard aileron down. If they are backwards then switch the signs around in the AILDIFF mix. If both ails move in the same direction, REVERSE the servo on the channel that is wrong.

My best guess without having one anyway.

vnv

Big thanks for quick help out!
I didn't know there exists better alternative for this hardware. Which firmware should be better to use to achive this?

pressalltheknobs

Big thanks for quick help out!
I didn't know there exists better alternative for this hardware. Which firmware should be better to use to achive this?

The 9X is probably the most hacked TX ever. Things have moved on a bit but if you have one it can still be worth hacking but more importantly can be a fun an interesting distraction.

There are lots of mods but the two most useful ones are

1. replacing the battery with a LiFe
2. adding a firmware update port
3. replacing the module with a FrSky module for more reliable range and a better choice of receivers.

The LiFe battery is fairly straight forward but you have to have a charger that will charge it. I don't recommend using a Lipo but people do. Here is an example. The 9X just has un polarized pins on the main board so I recommend get a pigtail for the battery connector that is polarized and soldering it to the board. If you connect the battery backwards you will damage the main board.

The firmware update port is cheap but involves some soldering to the main board. An easier way is to use the http://smartieparts.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_id=379"]smartieparts board[/URL]. Here's a video of how to install the older version just to give you the idea. But if you get the upgrade bug you may want to consider the AR9X board. The 9Xextreme is also good but a bit pricey.

There are two different firmwares available for the 9x, er9X and OpenTx. Er9X is probably the most actively updated for the 9X since the OpenTX people are more focused on the Taranis and the new Horus these days. OpenTX was derived from er9X and they are similar is some ways but organize things differently. There are lots of other resources on these but that should get you started.

The FrSky Module replacement is pretty straightforward. First choose DJT or XJT (XJT is better if you can afford it) then do this. Here's a video

Last edited: