Tuskegee airman FT P-51 kit build thread

flyboi

tuskegee airman plane.jpg

Above: the plane i want to recreate:

Hello all!
I am going to build my first plane (trainer kinda) witch is also a warbird (kinda like what Jeremy did with his P-40 Warhawk) but not just any plane. I'm going to build the iconic P-51 Mustang but with the historic Tuskegee airman "red tail" livery

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
View attachment 191807

Above: the plane i want to recreate:

Hello all!
I am going to build my first plane (trainer kinda) witch is also a warbird (kinda like what Jeremy did with his P-40 Warhawk) but not just any plane. I'm going to build the iconic P-51 Mustang but with the historic Tuskegee airman "red tail" livery

Great idea; however, let me ask - have you flown any other planes yet? I’m assuming you’re looking at the original FT Mustang for a build, and not the newer Master Series one; I would HIGHLY recommend you start on another plane build before tackling a Master Series, just to get familiarized with some basic build techniques.

The Master series build videos unfortunately leave out some techniques that I found necessary to build correctly, such as squaring the rudder, or even simpler things like utilizing a bbq skewer inside to keep the power pod from sliding out. Those techniques and little lessons are seen in many of the earlier beginner builds, which is why you might want to start with something like the FT Mustang for a first build.

Also, if you’ve never flown before, the Mustangs can be a little squirrelly in the air. They need to come in a little faster in their landings as well, maintaining a constant throttle, as opposed to just chopping the throttle and gliding in on something like a Tiny Trainer or Bushwacker.

flyboi

Great idea; however, let me ask - have you flown any other planes yet? I’m assuming you’re looking at the original FT Mustang for a build, and not the newer Master Series one; I would HIGHLY recommend you start on another plane build before tackling a Master Series, just to get familiarized with some basic build techniques.

The Master series build videos unfortunately leave out some techniques that I found necessary to build correctly, such as squaring the rudder, or even simpler things like utilizing a bbq skewer inside to keep the power pod from sliding out. Those techniques and little lessons are seen in many of the earlier beginner builds, which is why you might want to start with something like the FT Mustang for a first build.

Also, if you’ve never flown before, the Mustangs can be a little squirrelly in the air. They need to come in a little faster in their landings as well, maintaining a constant throttle, as opposed to just chopping the throttle and gliding in on something like a Tiny Trainer or Bushwacker.

i am using FT mighty mini mustang. not master series.

Last edited: