Twin motor setup

Robyle3

Question about twin setups. If I'm running one battery to both motors, do I need a battery with double the MaH's?
And at say a 1.5m scale, is a counter-rotating setup crucial?

I'm asking because while I wait for my Hobbyking order to arrive, I only now ask myself these questions XD. If counter props are needed i'll have to place another order.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Question about twin setups. If I'm running one battery to both motors, do I need a battery with double the MaH's?
And at say a 1.5m scale, is a counter-rotating setup crucial?

I'm asking because while I wait for my Hobbyking order to arrive, I only now ask myself these questions XD. If counter props are needed i'll have to place another order.

Battery selection depends on a lot of things, but generally speaking you want a bit more battery for a twin. Whatever battery, make sure the c rating is high enough to support the power required by both motors.

Not everyone agrees, but in my experience counter rotating props are not always required, especially in larger models. It certainly is the preferred method but I have flown a lot of my twins without it just fine during prop shortages.. lol

Robyle3

Awesome! Thanks. I did all my calcs and the batteries I have can handle the loads nicely (at least 10+ amps to spare at max draw) if I were to harness it to both ESC's, but I'm skeptical a 2200 could last the full 5-6 mins powering both motors.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
If you had two models, one with a single, the other a twin, all other things being equal, the twin wouldn't necessarily require twice the battery to get the same flight time. Just cruising the twin will require less work from each engine to maintain the same airspeed as a single. Of course, if you're hammering on them the twin can use up a lot more energy...

Robyle3

Well, hopes are I can balance things out with only one battery, then. Guess I'll pack the voltage checker for the maiden. I bought two extra batteries, so if I can stretch them that'd equal LOADS of extra flight time!
Just to be on the safe side, I'll make sure the nose can handle two batteries, though.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I flew with 2 2200's in my ft cruiser quite a bit before I got a 5000. It really needed nose weight more than mAh though...

Robyle3

I'm just here stressing about soldering y-harnesses for everything XD. I'm also stressing about wire legnths. Hopefully by next week I can have everything built so I can balance and check measurements.

Robyle3

I have yet to master using the iron, but I am proud of my work with high-pressure butane "torches".
No pun intended, but any tips for keeping the tip tinned? Mine keeps disappearing and I end up with some nasty oxidization. A tip rarely survives more than two soldering jobs with me.