• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Twin Spitfire?

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
Towards the end of WWII, some crazy American thought it would be a great idea to put two P-51 Mustangs together to make a twin engine fighter.

And they called it, the P-82.

No, that's not photoshopped. They really made these.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_F-82_Twin_Mustang

They were made too late to be used during WWII, but where used in the Korean War. (And then called the F-82.)

A quick interesting exert from the Wikipedia page: "On 27 February 1947, P-82B 44-65168, named Betty Jo and flown by Colonel Robert E. Thacker, made history when it flew nonstop from Hawaii to New York without refueling, a distance of 5,051 mi (8,129 km) in 14 hr 32 min. It averaged 347.5 miles per hour (559.2 km/h). This flight tested the P-82's range."

---------------

My show suggestion, yes I'm making another one. I'm full of ideas, well, I'm at least full of something. My show suggestion is for a certain crazy Swede to make his Spitfire into a twin plane. Or his Ripslinger.

I think it will make an interesting episode, possibly a great plane, and it's only a few modifications to an existing plan.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
I've always hated that plane lol (the P-82).
Why? Because it's ugly? Because it seems like it would give the (RC) pilot a headache because it gives the illusion of double vision? Maybe I want to see David try to fly the mind screw that is this plane. And it probably would be an awesome flying plane.