Universal Quad Copter Frame

HawkMan

Seeing as I don't have the money quite yet to buy all the multirotor parts I want, I figured I'd load up a 3D program for the first time in a l few years(I used to do a lot of Scifi 3D modeling) and design a multirotor frame that I can 3D print via shapeways when I'm done and allow others to get from shapeways if they want as well.

Seeing as I have no experience with this stuff I'd like some input for what I could or should change on this.

the screw holesare all 2mm right now, I just arbitralily chose that size, I suppose 3mm is the standard I should use ?

The booms are standards 13x13x250 same as rotor bones.

The hole in the middle of the top plate allows mounting the KK2 board safely inside the quad while still being accessible.

At the front the two slits should allow for strapping on a hanging GoPro(need to get the right thickness for the GoPro though)

At the back there's similar slits the other way to strap in a hanging battery.

on the bottom plate in front of the KK2 board I made a recessed section to allow more room to mount in a receiver and such. I may need to remove the bottom vents and make it wider, the "bay" is currently 3cm wide so it's a bit small.

The 3 holes on the top plate in front and behind the KK2 access bay is intended for mounting a raised antenna array I'll start working on now. it can be mounted front or back depending on preference and noise levels. I'll design it kind of like an antenna tower on a ship. A tapering "tower", with a "wing" on the top. the wing should allow mounting of GPS antenna on one side and FPV video antenna on the other away from the RX unit and antenna in the body. I'm thinking I'll have a plased 1/3rd up on it for mounting the FPV transmitter so you won't need a long cable to the antenna.

Unirotor-A 001.jpg

Unirotor-A 002.jpg

Unirotor-A 003.jpg

Right now the plates are fairly thick, shapeways have quite a few different materials, and I figure with the nylon material and the structure added by the booms on the side and some more screws and spacers around the frame I could get away with a much thinner plates. Best would probably be to laser cut them from a glass fiber material like the electro hub or carbon fiber. But I don't know of any shapeways like sites for laser cutting. also I couldn't make the antenna tower that way, but all the parts will be separate objects anyway.

Anyway any suggestions for changes or improvements from people who actually have experience come with them.

HawkMan

Did some more work, expanded the electronics bay in the base, it's now 6 by 8 cm I think. and 1 cm deep which might not be deep enough with the space inbetween only being 13mm, also thinned the material to 2 instead of 4 mm since it looked horribly thick in the 3D program. but it's deceptive since the bay also looks a lot deeper than 1 cm :) so I may have to go back to 4 or 3 mm. I'm not sure how strong the shapeways "Strong and Flexible plastic(Nylon) is and how "flexible" it is. I see other frames there use it for the arms as well. but they seem a lot thicker at least for the arms, but I see they use 0.2 for the body plates so I might be ok...

I'm wondering if I should perhaps make an arc hole where the outer screw mounting holes are and move the other holes inward and use them as stoppers for a foldable design. as opposed to a fixed X or Dead cat design.

Unirotor-A 004.jpg

Unirotor-A 005.jpg

I tried doing an antenna tower but it didn't work as I planned it. so I'm not sure how I'll do it, but I'm thinking a lower "wing" mounted just over the body to put the antennas to the left and right on the back mount to get away from the Rx.

HawkMan

Also I'm not sure if the KK2 board should be mounted on foam tape(seeing as it has gyros and such) but if it can be mounted to the body.

could someone get me exact measurements for spacing for the screw holes(center to center) on it and size of the screw holes, so I can add raised screw mounts for it.