Update on my flamewheel knock off and a couple questions as well.

kd5uwg

Ok well I got the kk2.1.5 flight controller in and got stevis 1.9 flashed into it... I can now fly the quad I have been adjusting the pi gains to try to get the ocillations out of it but it still ocislates so I have more tuning to do but just getting to put it in the air to hover it around and work on controling it is great. Here are a few specs before I ask my questions as i think they will be relevant to my questions.

4 hobbypower 30a esc's with 5v/2amp bec's
4 A2212/13T 1000kv motors
2 turnigy 2200mah 3s 20-30c batteries
kk 2.1.5 flightcontroler with stevis1.9 flashed to it
Spektrum DX6i with a Spektrum AR610 reciever
DJI flamewheel knock off frame (stamped Diatone)
10x4.5 SF Props Black CW (2pc) CCW (2pc) - purchased from hobbyking

Main question is im only getting about 4 to 5 minutes of flight time, is this normal for this setup?
Are my props the right size or should I be running 9x4.5, currently do not have my gopro hero 3 on quad since im still learning to fly it, this is a bit different than planes but I should get used to it pretty quick.
Of course this is my first quad so Im using it as a trainer, but am loving to fly it I will be glad to get to where I can really wring it out.

Ps I bought the quad as a kit from ebay for 89dollars, with out props, batteries, or radio, so I know I dont have the best quality stuff but it sure is fun.

Cavin Rhoads

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
What does your copter weigh?

Do you have BlHeli or Simon K on the ESCs?

I don't know if those motors and frame can handle it but 11" rotors would be better for flight time.

kd5uwg

Im not sure on the weight as of yet, I need to weigh it buy my scale is to small.. also the esc's are not marked in anyway on the sticker as to wether it is simonk or blheli.. I did change my charge rate from 2amps to 1.5amps and picked up about 5 minutes of flight tiime with out changing anything else. so I lowered it to 1amp and see if that gives me anymore time. Im looking into changing that setting with stick programing since i dont have a programmer.. My main thing is im finally able to fly it since all it would do with the kk5.5e board is spin like a top.

helinor

You should easily get about 10-14 min flight time on that setup... My son has one very similar quad only difference is he is using 45C batteries and 920 Kv motors. He flies about 12 min on it, AUW about 980 g with the battery. How do you know when it is time to land? Are you using a battery alarm?

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Im not sure on the weight as of yet, I need to weigh it buy my scale is to small.. also the esc's are not marked in anyway on the sticker as to wether it is simonk or blheli.. I did change my charge rate from 2amps to 1.5amps and picked up about 5 minutes of flight tiime with out changing anything else. so I lowered it to 1amp and see if that gives me anymore time. Im looking into changing that setting with stick programing since i dont have a programmer.. My main thing is im finally able to fly it since all it would do with the kk5.5e board is spin like a top.

There are some things you are saying here that may be a bit scary.

I balance charge at 1C ALWAYS AND WITHOUT FAIL. I do this because I don't want a lipo fire.

This means that when I charge a 1300mAh lipo, I charge at 1.3A. When I charge a 2200mAh lipo, I charge at 2.2A. Charging takes about an hour because I fly until any cell in my 3S lipo reaches 3.7V at which time my voltage alarm begins to alert.

If how you charge is impacting flight times, you are doing something wrong and potentially playing with fire.

My recommendation is that you get a lipo balancer and watt meter so you can see per cell how your battery looks before and after charging and before and after flight.

A lipo tester/balancer that shows the voltage of each cell is a cheap way to protect your homeowners insurance. I highly recommend one.

kd5uwg

There are some things you are saying here that may be a bit scary.

I balance charge at 1C ALWAYS AND WITHOUT FAIL. I do this because I don't want a lipo fire.

This means that when I charge a 1300mAh lipo, I charge at 1.3A. When I charge a 2200mAh lipo, I charge at 2.2A. Charging takes about an hour because I fly until any cell in my 3S lipo reaches 3.7V at which time my voltage alarm begins to alert.

If how you charge is impacting flight times, you are doing something wrong and potentially playing with fire.

My recommendation is that you get a lipo balancer and watt meter so you can see per cell how your battery looks before and after charging and before and after flight.

A lipo tester/balancer that shows the voltage of each cell is a cheap way to protect your homeowners insurance. I highly recommend one.

I agree I need to get a balancer/tester. just havent had a chance yet. My batteries wether charging at 2amps on the 2200mah battery do not get warm, at all during charging, I continously monitor the temp on my batterys during charging. Im not sure why when i went from 2amp charge to 1.5amp charge I got a longer flight time but I did, I also reqularly check my battery temps during a flight by landiing and feeling battery definitely dont want to puffb one or create a fire. Ill check the individual cells tomorro using a voltmeter so as to verify they are not getting to far apart.. Next battery order from hobbyking ill order a balance charger.