Upscaled Tiny Trainer-will it work?

BoredGuy

I recently built and flew a Tiny Trainer. Awesome plane, but where I live I can’t find any mighty mini-sized batteries, 5g servos, small receivers, etc. Larger electronics aren’t a problem, though, so can a tiny trainer be scaled up to use large electronics and still fly right?
Thinking of using:
2212 1000kv motor with 1045 prop
Somewhere around 1500mah 2 or 3s battery
What scale should I build at, and will it still fly like a trainer?

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
if you keep the proportions the same, it will stay flying like a trainer. However if your looking at using bigger electronics, using one of the plans that better match the bigger electronics might be a better choice.

That motor/battery size looks like it is fairly close to the power pack B which means the Simple Scout (which is listed as a good first plane) would work without any scaling or modifications needed to the planes. It also looks like the Simple Cub would be another good first plane option.

alan0043

I recently built and flew a Tiny Trainer. Awesome plane, but where I live I can’t find any mighty mini-sized batteries, 5g servos, small receivers, etc. Larger electronics aren’t a problem, though, so can a tiny trainer be scaled up to use large electronics and still fly right?
Thinking of using:

Hi BoredGuy,

It sounds like you are looking for a challenge. I wish I could help you. I am a rookie on this rc stuff myself. Can you get Adams Readi foam board ? Do you scratch build ? I would think you would build a power pod that comes from the scout or cub first. Then build the plane around that. If you already have the plans for the tiny trainer, you could use them to get the shape you need. Just a few ideas. Good luck on your build.

bisco

Elite member
i am doing the opposite. nowhere to fly except the local ball fields. i am downsizing the trainer by printing reduced plan tiles to around a 34" wing span, then will ask for help in the power forums for motor sizing and etc.
all the best with your mod!

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient

skymaster

Elite member
Thinking of using:
why not try the simple storch or the explorer

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
My Tiny runs off a 20amp esc, four 9g servos, MT2204 2300kv motor with a 1000mAh 3s battery it flies great. I swap between a 3s - 700, 800 and the 1000 depending on the wind conditions and how long I want to fly ?
That's the standard size plane too ?