URGENT VIDEO MUST WATCH: FAA Reauthorization 2018 set to change the hobby forever

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
The whole issue really is not if we can or can not continue what we do. Its down to how much more in governmental fees that will be forced on us.

Registration will surely go up or be mandated to one for every drone not a blanket as it is now.

Fees will be set to take what ever "drone pilot" test these morons come up with.

If the AMA agenda goes thru then everyone will have to be a member.

Then comes mandated insurance like for cars.

Then.... comes each state's regulation on what you fly and what part of your income they want to scrape away.

Drone delivery is a joke and will never be idiot proof. That's a non starter with the current tech let alone the shear number of practicing darwinians. (AKA stupid people)

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Ahh thats unfortunate, well maybe trump wont sign it.... But whatever, the cops wont hunt us down for flying a little drone, they will go after people who use them for surveillance and and stuff like that, I am not that worried. but I will still have to do the whole stupid ID thing.

Last I had read, they wanted us to have transponders on them, so it would let other FAA vehicles know there was a drone or sailplane or other RC aircraft flying in the vicinity. Extra weight, extra devices, extra battery, extra cost...And you'll have to have one for every single plane/heli/drone that goes up in the air. :( It's possible that's been changed, or will be changed as an FAA rule, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

JTarmstr

Elite member
Do they think a foamboard airplane is a 737?!?!? this is so funny, why dont they just research 2.4 ghz jammers?

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Do they think a foamboard airplane is a 737?!?!? this is so funny, why dont they just research 2.4 ghz jammers?

Simple - a lot of cordless phones also operate on a 2.4 Ghz transmission. 5.8 Ghz is simply doubling that bandwidth. Start jamming it on a broad spectrum, and you kill a lot of communications with it, from Wi-Fi to voice calls.

JTarmstr

Elite member
Simple - a lot of cordless phones also operate on a 2.4 Ghz transmission. 5.8 Ghz is simply doubling that bandwidth. Start jamming it on a broad spectrum, and you kill a lot of communications with it, from Wi-Fi to voice calls.

Yes, I just mean if police really want to take a drone down, if they have a small portable jammer, they could deal with it. In pretty much any sci fi tv show when the characters steal a vehicle whats the first thing they do? Disable the transponder. The only people who will use transponders are people who want to follow the rules.

IanSR

Jamming a drone that has RTH technology won't bring it down, it'll just send it back to where it took off from.

In the UK jammers are illegal, even for the authorities to use, so what they are proposing is the ability for law enforcement to shoot down the drone with "anti-drone technology".

As has been pointed out by many, and most likely ignored, is that bringing down a drone with a net gun that is hovering over a concert or stadium, is probably going to be more dangerous than letting the thing hover there until the battery runs out and it goes home by itself.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Jammers are illegal everywhere even for law enforcement.

Also that idea leaves the issue of a drone with no control potentially becoming a missle hazard. Its not like a jammer would gently set the drone down at the officers feet.

Other wise you would not see so much footage on YT with inner city morons taunting police with dji phantoms getting them to chase around trying to find the pilot.

JTarmstr

Elite member
Jammers are illegal everywhere even for law enforcement.

Also that idea leaves the issue of a drone with no control potentially becoming a missle hazard. Its not like a jammer would gently set the drone down at the officers feet.

Other wise you would not see so much footage on YT with inner city morons taunting police with dji phantoms getting them to chase around trying to find the pilot.

I think thats the problem with DJI drones, they are cheap and idiots can fly them, I have yet to see videos of police being chased by race quads because race quads need a pilot at the controls and cost a decent amount to fly, and I dont even know why they are throwing RC airplanes into this, how can you criminally use a RC airplane? Flite test tried a foam bomb drop with their airplanes and it didnt even work most of the time 50 yards in front of them.

That said, your right, I was thinking about failsafe when a drone loses signal but of course now they use GPS, figures. Is this gonna become air to air combat now? Police drones trying to capture rogue drones?

CatholicFlyer

I think thats the problem with DJI drones, they are cheap and idiots can fly them, I have yet to see videos of police being chased by race quads because race quads need a pilot at the controls and cost a decent amount to fly, and I dont even know why they are throwing RC airplanes into this, how can you criminally use a RC airplane? Flite test tried a foam bomb drop with their airplanes and it didnt even work most of the time 50 yards in front of them.

That said, your right, I was thinking about failsafe when a drone loses signal but of course now they use GPS, figures. Is this gonna become air to air combat now? Police drones trying to capture rogue drones?

I think in the rural areas in Montana and up there in Big Sky country, if some illegal drone flies over a person's property, they shoot it down. I've actually seen video on the news about this.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I think in the rural areas in Montana and up there in Big Sky country, if some illegal drone flies over a person's property, they shoot it down. I've actually seen video on the news about this.

Shooting any rc aircraft is a federal offence. It is now like shooting at a real aircraft ever since registrations began.

But like you say there will be people shooting at delivery drones until the first one is caught and brought up on felony charges for shooting at an aircraft on top of what ever discharging of fire arms offences occurred.

CatholicFlyer

Shooting any rc aircraft is a federal offence. It is now like shooting at a real aircraft ever since registrations began.

But like you say there will be people shooting at delivery drones until the first one is caught and brought up on felony charges for shooting at an aircraft on top of what ever discharging of fire arms offences occurred.
not sure if they ever arrested them, but got on the news.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Well they are using you tube to find some of these darwinian who post themselves doing stupid things.

They do the same with the sport bike riders who think it's cool doing stupid things on their bikes on highways or the ones who videoed themselves out running police.