Use TBS Smart Audio with SP Racing F3 Flight FC?

NOSS

Noss
Hello everyone.

I have recently completed my first FPV quad build and am now looking into exactly how to change VTX channels when flying with others. However, this has become an issue for me as I am running a SP Racing F3 board which cannot run the easy way out: a Betaflight OSD. I did some research and found that using LUA scripts on my Taranis QX7 would allow me to change these settings via my transmitter (which seems more convenience than doing so on my goggles goggles to me anyways). But my issue seems to be where to wire the TBS Unify HV audio wire to on the FC. I have read that for either the Betaflight OSD or LUA method, I need to wire the VTX audio to a spare UART on my FC. Seems easy enough but I am beginning to think it may not be possible on the SP Racing F3 as I am already using a X4R-SB which seems to conflict when I try to set TBS smart audio in the ports tab in Betaflight. Again, my setup is a SP Racing F3, and X4R-SB reciever, and a TBS Unify Pro HV. I was looking through the SP F3 manual's pinout and I can see there are some issues between UARTs. In the picture below, I have the SBUS, ground, and 5V from the X4R-SB on IO2 on pins 1 through 3. Also, the green wire shown is the telemetry wire from the X4R-SB which is going to the third pin on the UART 2 connector. Lastly, I have the TBS audio (the black shrink wrapped one) wired to the TX pad on UART3 (which I thought was my spare UART).

My setup:
setup.JPG

SP Racing F3 Manual Pinout:
Sp f3 pinout.png

However, when I looked at the pin-out, it says that UART3 and IO2 cannot be used together if the Channel 3 or 4 pins are used. Because it seems necessary for me to use channel 3 on IO2, for SBUS, I am not sure how else to wire the receiver for smart audio to work. This conflict shows in Betaflight under ports when I try to set peripherals to TBS smart audio in UART3. When I press save, the ports all reset and TBS smart audio and smart port telemetry both become disabled.

My functional ports without Smart Audio:
1.png

Enabling Smart Audio on UART3 where I have it wired:
2.png

After clicking save and the ports reset (because of the conflict I think?):
3.png

Having a Betaflight board would have made this so much easier but I figured I should tackle ports to understand them once and for all. I also found this wiring of an XSR reciever to an SP F3 FC.
4.png

If I don't use IO2 as shown above, I thought that I should be able to wire the VTX to UART1. But again, the pin-out shows that UART1 cannot be used when the USB is connected. So I am at a loss here as well....

Is wiring Smart Audio possible with this setup? I really would like to use the LUA scripts I installed or other methods to avoid pressing the annoying button on the VTX itself in the field.

Cricket

Hello everyone.

I have recently completed my first FPV quad build and am now looking into exactly how to change VTX channels when flying with others. However, this has become an issue for me as I am running a SP Racing F3 board which cannot run the easy way out: a Betaflight OSD. I did some research and found that using LUA scripts on my Taranis QX7 would allow me to change these settings via my transmitter (which seems more convenience than doing so on my goggles goggles to me anyways). But my issue seems to be where to wire the TBS Unify HV audio wire to on the FC. I have read that for either the Betaflight OSD or LUA method, I need to wire the VTX audio to a spare UART on my FC. Seems easy enough but I am beginning to think it may not be possible on the SP Racing F3 as I am already using a X4R-SB which seems to conflict when I try to set TBS smart audio in the ports tab in Betaflight. Again, my setup is a SP Racing F3, and X4R-SB reciever, and a TBS Unify Pro HV. I was looking through the SP F3 manual's pinout and I can see there are some issues between UARTs. In the picture below, I have the SBUS, ground, and 5V from the X4R-SB on IO2 on pins 1 through 3. Also, the green wire shown is the telemetry wire from the X4R-SB which is going to the third pin on the UART 2 connector. Lastly, I have the TBS audio (the black shrink wrapped one) wired to the TX pad on UART3 (which I thought was my spare UART).

My setup:
View attachment 99798

SP Racing F3 Manual Pinout:
View attachment 99799

However, when I looked at the pin-out, it says that UART3 and IO2 cannot be used together if the Channel 3 or 4 pins are used. Because it seems necessary for me to use channel 3 on IO2, for SBUS, I am not sure how else to wire the receiver for smart audio to work. This conflict shows in Betaflight under ports when I try to set peripherals to TBS smart audio in UART3. When I press save, the ports all reset and TBS smart audio and smart port telemetry both become disabled.

My functional ports without Smart Audio:
View attachment 99800

Enabling Smart Audio on UART3 where I have it wired:
View attachment 99801

After clicking save and the ports reset (because of the conflict I think?):
View attachment 99802

Having a Betaflight board would have made this so much easier but I figured I should tackle ports to understand them once and for all. I also found this wiring of an XSR reciever to an SP F3 FC.
View attachment 99803

If I don't use IO2 as shown above, I thought that I should be able to wire the VTX to UART1. But again, the pin-out shows that UART1 cannot be used when the USB is connected. So I am at a loss here as well....

Is wiring Smart Audio possible with this setup? I really would like to use the LUA scripts I installed or other methods to avoid pressing the annoying button on the VTX itself in the field.

Cricket

Hey Noss! Have you figured this problem out? I’m having the same issue. If you have can you help me figure this out?

Thanks you