Versacopter: My Melted Butter Quad

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
First off a word of advise.. Take spring colds seriously.. I just had a bad one I thought was gone double back and hit me twice as hard as it did the first time.. Was like being tossed into a prop and getting pummeled most vigorously.

Any I R back to pester you all again.

I killed the FC in my Alien so I decided to finally take all the parts I borrowed from my Versacopter when I first built the Alien and get it back to flying condition. That way I would at least have something to fly now the weather is getting good. I took the D4r II receiver that came with my Taranis and put that in and got it all bound and talking. Next I crossed my fingers that the usb issues I had trying to talk to my KISS fc didn't kill what I had set up for the Versa and the SPF3 clone. (Make sure you guys buy direct from the good controller developers. I got scammed on Amazon with this one because I was impatient because the dev was sold out) All was good clean flight linked right up and I got to review where I was the last time I was flying it.

Once I knew everything was acting and turning as it should I took it outside to see where it stood as far as tune. Man was I off back then even after being happy how it was flying. So it was in and out up and down the stairs for three packs tweaking and testing. (This would be my ONLY reason to own a smartphone is to tune if it were not a 700 dollar plus investment.) Anyway I ran outta daylight yesterday doing this so I was in for the evening and charging batteries for today's flights.

I think I got the Versa 98% to where I want it to be at this point. I learned after five packs today that I want to lighten yaw just a touch as I got it cranked up where it has a problem of stopping after three or more full deflection spins where it has momentum. I also think I want to drop Pitch P one more point.

Believe it or not I am still flying cleanflight 1.4 with out even having one shot enabled from back in my "How the heck do you tune" days. Hopefully the fact that Google forced an update to cleanflight 2.0 today that I am not scroogled now for continuing this route. If so I guess it will be updated to Betaflight and the process will start all over. ( I soooo hate having something forced on me. Specially if it messes up something I am happy with.)

I don't have the FPV harness made to get the old 200 mw vtx and battery alarm re-wired back in yet so the only video atm is from an LOS flight after I swapped back to 6045 two blade props after tuning on 5045 tri blades. Not the best plan I know but boy was I shocked at how it flew. Enough to post a video (nothing spectacular just smoother then I have ever flown the Versa and no panic bail outs or saves needed.)

Keeping with the everyone calling their 6 inchers "Butter Quads" I dubbed mine my "Melted Butter Quad" Cant wait to get FPV back on it and see how it really looks as far as tune goes.

I told a friend my main quad was dead and ended up bumming the money for a new KISS fc from him after he volunteered it do me and that should be in my mailbox within the next hour when the postman finally gets here. I swear on days I have packages and they are already over due to scheduled delivery they make sure I am the last one of the day to get mail. Who cares I should be back in the air soon on the alien and have two quads to lug around for flying now.

Edit: forgot spec's...
Versacopter V1 frame
Original Emax 2204 2300 kv motors
SPF3 clone (sorry guys thought I was getting a real one)
30 amp blheli esc's (not even one shot enabled in CF currently)
D4rII receiver
Taranis X9D plus radio

Last edited:

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
I rebuilt my versacopter last weekend too, it had been sitting in pieces in a box all winter. I ended up flashing betaflight to it and man the stock pids are not even close, much work to do there when the weather comes around.

Good to hear your alien will be flying again soon, I hate waiting for stuff ;)

I don't think you'll have to worry about upgrading your firmware, the configurators can't force flash your board.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
The question is when I plug it in does it go.. Oh I am sorry your stuff is outta date you MUST reflash to X.XXX before we can even connect and everything I just did is lost.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
The question is when I plug it in does it go.. Oh I am sorry your stuff is outta date you MUST reflash to X.XXX before we can even connect and everything I just did is lost.

I guess they could do that... If it went like that I'd say get a minimosd of some sort, this allows setting PID's and stuff with your Tx. They're dirt cheap.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I have one. Could never get the darn thing to work. I haz ZERO clue how to work with an FTDI thingie. I have one just for the minim osd but when I flash or write to the osd it never takes. When I connect it as is it comes up with some message that it has something on it that can't be read and just sits there gettin hot. watched and followed videos and everyone has a different set up or different ftdi adapter.. too much to bother with back then. Like I said if it pulls some crap like that Ill flash Beta flight and start over. being able to tune at will would surely be nice. Wish KISS would implement that. Save me a whole buncha trips up n down the stairs here.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
You guys are always more then welcome to come play in my yard hehe. Ill even make sammaches. I am also VERY sure the maintenance guy will let you mow it any time you desire as he hates that part of his job. Bring something small Cranial and you can shoot all them gaps in the new playset hehe.

I feel for you guys. we just went thru nearly an entire monsoon season here. It literally rained in some degree for weeks. Some parts of the grounds are so saturated you either squish when you walk or sink in. Nice thing is the trees are starting to bud now and will not be full on scraggle soon. The bad is if you are sensitive to tree pollen's. It won't be long before everything is coated yellow and green by it.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Krack that Flip. Give the sticks a twitch.... You must Flip it.... Flip it good!

Cheers!
LitterBug

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
The bad is if you are sensitive to tree pollen's. It won't be long before everything is coated yellow and green by it.

I HATE pollen season. And it hates me back - vigorously.

But it's nice to be able to fly without a transmitter mitt again :)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Aww come on.. you can't tell me you don't love that constant avalanche of sticky thick phlegm making you gurgle when you breathe. Or better yet the weird fish eye view of your bedroom when you wake up and can't breathe then realize the world looks funny because you are viewing it thru a giant snot bubble. Its like liquid FPV at 2.1 mm or 2.8 mm depending on the size of the bubble! :p

Be glad you don't live where I do with a row of nasty half blighted pine trees ten feet from your living room window that make EVERYTHING sticky with pollen this time of year. Specially when its hot enough that running a fan is required and makes things even worse. If I hurry I may not need hot glue to finish the Caudron if I time it right hehehe.

LB nice. I hadn't seen that vid in decades. You must be like me and change lyrics all the time too.