Versions of Thrust Vectoring(Prop& EDF)

L Edge

Master member
About 11 years ago, thrust vectoring became the rage. EDF's were underpowered and were very heavy(battery)and over time, they dropped out of the picture.

The 2 areas of interest is that wild acrobatics are now possible as well as exploring high angles of attack for slow and precise maneuvering. Have 2 EDF's going within the plane with differential thrust and you have a handful. A few even explored the front end by pivoting the motor/prop and it did some weird motions you never expected.

Bored, try some EDF stuff. Here is a F-22 and you can fly it in your backyard. I also explored hovering using thrusters, partial go due to lack of EDF pressure. Watch 1:57 sec for hover.

Don't like EDF's, do it with versions of props. The first is modifying a heli swash plate so that you get additional thrust in elevator and rudder movement and do either acrobatics or high alpha.

Here is elevon and rudder thrust vectoring plus a second set of canard controls for elevons. You needed 4 cups of coffee to stay with it.
I then modified this by putting the motors onto the elevons giving me thrust vectoring for rudder, aileron and elevator plus the canards as elevons. I needed 7 cups of coffee to fly that and within a few flights, it destroyed itself in the air. Flying is bored? Go try different things.

Josh should build and demo the trickster to the FT group.

luvmy40

Elite member
I see there is a thrust vectoring kit available for the Retro Rocket from FT. I just ordered the base model SBK. I'm debating adding the vectoring kit. I'm sure its beyond my piloting skills right now.

L Edge

Master member
I see there is a thrust vectoring kit available for the Retro Rocket from FT. I just ordered the base model SBK. I'm debating adding the vectoring kit. I'm sure its beyond my piloting skills right now.

How about this simplistic approach.
1) Put landing gear on and the vectoring unit.
2) Program mode one in the transmitter not using vectoring unit. Explore your plane until your comfortable.
3) Program mode 2 to include only elevator and thrust vectoring of the elevator servos.
a) now adjust TV so it travels 1/2 of elevator movement. Go 3 crash heights/switch to mode 2 and explore. Then back mode 1 and land.
b) increase TV(elevator) movement or decrease in segments until you are happy. Go back upstairs and explore. Then try it on approaches and then finally try a landing.
c) Program mode 3 for elevator and rudder. Rudder is dangerous and requires very small increments(never match rudder deflection) until you are comfortable. Again, go up stairs and explore.

Hope you try it. Before you know it, you will be able to do wild acrobatics and perhaps even fly in a dome.