80mm EDF 150% Scale Viggen with Active Thrust Vector

dberg97

We’re obsessed with the Viggen’s capabilities and ease of build. We recently lost the 200% Viggen (one of the EDfs failed). The 200% Viggen was acrobatic and fast for a 6 foot foam plane. This time we scaled to 150%, used a single 80mm EDF, and added active thrust vectoring. Like the 200% Viggen, we also have functioning canards. The thrust vectoring used the following link a the base file.

I scaled up the thrust vector .stl to fit the 80mm EDF and scaled the nozzle longer to deflect more thrust. I designed a short connecting thrust tube with servo holders attached. I added a third servo to provide more positive directional movement.

Maiden tomorrow, but static thrust testing has been very remarkable.

Link to a couple of videos.

IMG_0903.jpeg
IMG_0898.jpeg
IMG_0904.jpeg

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I have a 3D printed thrust tube for mine, but did not set up vectoring. Really need to finish mine up!

Do you have any video of the monster 6' flying??

LB

LitterBug

Techno Nut
THAT is AWESOME!!!!

Oh cool, you put control surfaces on the canards of your current model too! How did you do the mixes?

Last edited:

dberg97

It was a fantastic plane and had many, many hours on it before one of the EDFs bit the bullet. We actually rebuilt with new EDFs but they were well below the advertised thrust and the performance was abysmal (x-fly off of Amazon). The new one was scrapped and the EDFs sent back. The new one with the 80mm will hover while testing, so we are very optimistic. Now if the wind in Colorado would ever die down…

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Looks like you mixed the canard roll the same as the rear, and elevator inverse of the rear. I am at a point where canard control could still be added easily. I may give that a go.

LB

dberg97

THAT is AWESOME!!!!

Oh cool, you put control surfaces on the canards of your current model too! How did you do the mixes?
All control surfaces are on separate channels. The canards mirror the elevon setup of the main control surface except the elevator is reversed. The thrust vector is the elevon setup again except rudder takes the place of the ailerons in the mixing.

L Edge

Master member
When you start exploring thrust vectoring, for the life of your plane, start using Mode conditions.

Set it up so Mode 1 has just elevon control.
Then Mode 2 with the elevons and the canards.
That way you can practice up high by engaging/disengaging TV or in an emergency.

Litterbug: The Viggen is a puppy with the 70, much better on an 80. If you add the TV, it does marginal acrobatics, not sensational. If you want to see the video with the 70, let me know.

dberg97: Since you like high AOA and have plenty of power, set up this condition.
Mode 1 regular elevons
Mode 2 - set up TV plus elevons
Mode 3- now set up your canards, tv, and elevons for max fun. It works with ailerons. You will have to explore how much canard deflection depending on the area of the canards.

And if you are really want to max doing maneuvers , try this
1) install canards 2 servos,(one in each inlet duct) no blockage reduction on intake of EDF to lose power.
2) if you have a many channel radio, set up second set of elevons for the canards(also input set of pots on back of TX to set each left and right trim of canards for straight flow-- I used DX9 radio)
3) Now set Mode three for upstairs movement of plane. Will need to find out how far on deflections(yes both ailerons and elevator) and it will be really wild.
4)Now Mode 4 If you want to go low and very slow at very high AOA across the field, adjust deflections of canards so now you have added nose directional control as well as the tail(elevons and TV) to get close to vertical performance. Lacking power on Viggen, chose F-22 to accomplish. I like to push the boundaries.
Can even fly in a dome.

canard.JPG

Large canard due to little power,

Vigeen.JPG

Tail end of my setup.

dberg97

When you start exploring thrust vectoring, for the life of your plane, start using Mode conditions.

Set it up so Mode 1 has just elevon control.
Then Mode 2 with the elevons and the canards.
That way you can practice up high by engaging/disengaging TV or in an emergency.

Litterbug: The Viggen is a puppy with the 70, much better on an 80. If you add the TV, it does marginal acrobatics, not sensational. If you want to see the video with the 70, let me know.

dberg97: Since you like high AOA and have plenty of power, set up this condition.
Mode 1 regular elevons
Mode 2 - set up TV plus elevons
Mode 3- now set up your canards, tv, and elevons for max fun. It works with ailerons. You will have to explore how much canard deflection depending on the area of the canards.

And if you are really want to max doing maneuvers , try this
1) install canards 2 servos,(one in each inlet duct) no blockage reduction on intake of EDF to lose power.
2) if you have a many channel radio, set up second set of elevons for the canards(also input set of pots on back of TX to set each left and right trim of canards for straight flow-- I used DX9 radio)
3) Now set Mode three for upstairs movement of plane. Will need to find out how far on deflections(yes both ailerons and elevator) and it will be really wild.
4)Now Mode 4 If you want to go low and very slow at very high AOA across the field, adjust deflections of canards so now you have added nose directional control as well as the tail(elevons and TV) to get close to vertical performance. Lacking power on Viggen, chose F-22 to accomplish. I like to push the boundaries.
Can even fly in a dome.

View attachment 242935

Large canard due to little power,

View attachment 242936

Tail end of my setup.
I have my Viggen set up with 3 modes. (1 - No TV, 2 - 25% weight TV, 3 - Full weight TV). We've been flying Viggens with functioning canards with both elevator and ailerons mixed in for quite a while. With the twin 70s, you can see some of the capability it had. We pushed it more and could do more extreme maneuvers both slow and fast. It had about a 1.75:1 TTW ratio. Not expecting that TTW ratio with the single 80mm on a 150% scale Viggen, but it should still be fun.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I have have a 12 blade 64MM and a 65A 2-6S ESC. So I don't plan on anything less than 4S. I picked everything up back in '16 just before they made the switch to the water resistant foamboard. Been a long time coming. It was on my Buildruary list, but I have't gotten to it yet. Want to have it ready for FF in june. I just need to cut a new wing and glue it all together, the fuselage is done.

L Edge

Master member
I have my Viggen set up with 3 modes. (1 - No TV, 2 - 25% weight TV, 3 - Full weight TV). We've been flying Viggens with functioning canards with both elevator and ailerons mixed in for quite a while. With the twin 70s, you can see some of the capability it had. We pushed it more and could do more extreme maneuvers both slow and fast. It had about a 1.75:1 TTW ratio. Not expecting that TTW ratio with the single 80mm on a 150% scale Viggen, but it should still be fun.
What is 25% weight? and full weight TV?

LitterBug

Techno Nut
IMG_20240306_135448248.jpg

I could use the original wing, but I did a really crusty job on the fold....

Attachments

• IMG_20240306_134436067.jpg
    IMG_20240306_134436067.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

L Edge

Master member
I use a Radiomaster TX16s transmitter and I set my output weights to allow 25% throw deflection in mode 2 and 100% throw deflection in mode 3 all set to a 3-way switch.
OK, now I understand.
Here's one where I added my own design "thrust deflector" so I could stop the rotation of a single 64mm EDF to do a hover.(best about 2 min.)
It worked to a degree Very touchy. I always matched the amount of elevator to the TV component which gave me finer control. Rudder max was about 1/2 of Tx deflection. Allows you freedom to really hold things tight. This is when TV came out about 14 years ago.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Put the movable canards on it and it should a fun airplane. Especially if it gives the "wisssshhh" sound.
I should get over the slight ugliness... Or hide it under decals! 😃 It is completely functional. Just need to cut two servo holes and start gluing to finish it off.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
After the first crash, looks don't matter any more either. LOL

Part of why it never was finished was my inability to fly LOS. I have since solved that.