Viggen CG

Rang

Thanks Merv. That's where I thought it was. I'm finding I need to add some weight to the nose to get this CG. If you've flown the Viggen, do you have any tips for maiden flight?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Merv. That's where I thought it was. I'm finding I need to add some weight to the nose to get this CG. If you've flown the Viggen, do you have any tips for maiden flight?
I have only flown 1, a few years ago. A buddy asked me to maiden his plane. It was an EDF, which was under powered. It still flew well.

JDill

I'm finding I need to add some weight to the nose to get this CG. If you've flown the Viggen, do you have any tips for maiden flight?

Love my Viggen. I find it pretty easy to fly. It has decent speed but with the large wing area plus canards it can also slow way down. It's fun to point the nose into the wind, slow it down, and basically harrier it.

It does have a fast roll rate so you may want some expo on the ailerons, and yet the elevator isn't as responsive. When I hand launch I find it best to grab it on top behind the canopy, give it full throttle, and give it an underhand toss. My personal preference is to use a neck strap with my transmitter, hold the plane with my left hand, and use my right to advance the throttle and then move it back to the right stick (aileron/elevator) for the launch.

Mozella

Mind flies great at the recommened cg. It has plenty of power and is easy to launch. I use an underhand toss. It has a fantastic roll rate on high rate. Spectators always say, "Oooohh". But it's easy to fly and flies surprisingly slowly. I didn't like the idea of trying to fold foam board into a sharp nose, so I designed a 3d printed combination nose cone and intake inlet which you can find on Thingiverse. You can see it on the left.

PHOENIXFLIER

Test flew my Viggen today..............fantastic!
Powerfun 70mm EDF, 80A ESC and 4s 2200 60c lipo.
Flew straight as an arrow, reasonably quick, lightning roll rate and will fly at walking pace.
Brilliant!.