Water-resistant foam / FT "Waterboard"

Trapezoid

So I'm super excited about the new water-resistant foam, and anxious to try it on a new scratch-build design I've worked up. Kudos to FT for helping develop the stuff, and for making it available in their store!

But I just can't justify buying a whole box. I've tried posting here and on the FG Groups site, offering to split a box with someone local to me, but so far, no takers. I'm in a pretty large city, BTW, but I've even corresponded with someone in the Seattle metro area who couldn't find another builder interested in doing it!

Two ideas if you're up for it, FT:

1. How about breaking down minimums to 20-24 sheets? I know this might add some expense, but hey, just add it to the bill - at around a buck a sheet, it'd still be a bargain.
  2. Work with Adams Corp. to encourage some of the big art supply and mega-hobby stores (Michael's, et. al.) to carry it. If I were Adams, I'd focus the sales pitch less on its utility for building RC planes than on the fact that the stuff is water resistant, i.e. much better for temporary signage that might go outside or get exposed to high humidity. Other such options (gatorboard, for instance) are quite pricey by comparison. Adams wins by getting its new product bought by the masses, we win by getting a handy supply of FT waterboard at our local hobby store.
Just some thoughts. The new board seems like a great product - it needs real distribution!

mikeporterinmd

Still Learning
I just went ahead and bought a box. I'm sure I'll sell off the extra eventually. And I'll take this chance to say "Anyone driving through Delaware on I-95, I work about 5 minutes from the 896N exit (Last southern exit in Delaware)." :)

Sure, it's a $100 gamble, but compare the cost to what it will do for you. And you will want to keep about 20 sheets for yourself, so it's really about a $60 gamble. You may have to pay more postage than I did.

Mike

P.S.

If you are driving through Delaware, I will tell you how to bypass the toll quickly and save you about $6 or so. So, yeah, three free sheets right there!

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
It seems to me that everything you've done and suggested to do is a no brainer. Making any or some or even all of those ideas work needs to happen. Perhaps you've heard, "the squeaky wheel gets the grease". It's time to squeak.

Ross

Thinking outside the rc box, it would make very nice outdoor sign material for yard sales or for any temporary signs.

Jugsy

Awesome suggestions, I'm in Australia so I'm even more limited.

I would really like to see this stuff distributed more widely, the board we have here (as we never hesitate to remind anyone) is made by the standard paper companies and is expensive and inferior. I've done the maths and I'm fairly sure retailers could do a lot better stocking the Adams stuff. The LHS has been receptive and interested but any time I've talked to Craft/Office stores they usually look at me like I'm insane, then recommend a product that's nowhere near what I'm after. I'm sure Adams would like to expand locally first, but there's definitely space for them here too. I've discussed the heavy Aussie Foam Board with some arty types too, and even they aren't happy with it - apparently the outer paper is too thick and spongey and it's near impossible to find an unmarked, untarnished sheet on the shelves.

If FliteTest stocked smaller boxes of foam, it would make me a very very happy camper. As it stands if I want to order a 50 pack, I'm paying $110 USD postage. That figure used to be a lot worse, so I thank the FT crew for all the hard work they've done trimming that down, but it's still out of the question for me. If it considerably reduced postage, I'd be more than happy to order a 25, 10, or even (and now you get how desperate we are down under) a 5 pack. I've also wondered if there's any potential to provide sheets of a smaller dimension - I know it would add extra build considerations to the existing designs but I'd be happy with a few extra seam lines if it meant I could get the "real deal" foamboard.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Have I mentioned FTGroups.com?

Part of the original idea of it was to get people in contact with other FT folks, and allow them to do group builds. You could also use it to do group buys. Split the cost of a box with someone in your area, AND get a new flying buddy.

Trapezoid

Seattle area buyer

TexMechsRobot, the guy in the Seattle area that wrote he'd tried to find someone to split an order is named Thomas Brooks. Lives in/near Auburn. That's his listing on FT Groups, don't know if he's listed here.

FlyingMonkey, FTGroups IS a great resource, but members are few and far between in my region - even in Seattle, though that's on the other side of the state from Spokane. So on this issue, it hasn't helped me.

Looking forward to more folks joining FTGroups, and to FT Central hearing this "squeaky wheel" (JimCR120). :)

Last edited:

TexMechsRobot

Posted a thousand or more times
TexMechsRobot, the guy in the Seattle area that wrote he'd tried to find someone to split an order is named Thomas Brooks. Lives in/near Auburn. That's his listing on FT Groups, don't know if he's listed here.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm on FT Groups already (thought not often) so I'll look him up.

dgrigor02

I don't know anything about Adams cartons if 25sheet carton is even possible from the factory. Even if possible the min. pallets vs. demand for a half carton may not work out. As tightly packages as a box is, FT trying to repackage themselves would be a nightmare and probably end up with lots of bent corners during shipping.

Distribution locally shouldn't be FT responsibility, that seems more of a grassroots let your voice be heard at your local hobby shop.

IMO: It pretty easy to justify a whole box approx . $110 shipped vs. the additionl expense of waterproofing dtfb and the time associated the technique seems like a no-brainer. Comparing to buying waterproof FT kits, just 3 planes and the carton is a break even.

In the meantime, if you can find someone locally to split after it arrives then that would just be gravy.

Last edited:

Trapezoid

FT Water-resistant Foam

dgrigor02, I'm only suggesting:

1. That FT consider repackaging the new foam into whatever smaller quantities it might make sense, and that I'd be willing to pay for the priveledge. I'm admittedly in the dark as to whether the package is shipped directly from the factory, or whether there's a readily-available box (supplied from Adams, perhaps) they could use to repackage boards. My day job sees foam core boards delivered to us regularly with plastic corner guards and boxes sized to suit...but maybe repackaging would be too much trouble, as you suggest.
  2. That FT give a call to Adams, leveraging their relationship and suggesting that there's probably a market far larger than the RC foamy community (I strongly suspect there is). Am guessing it'll have to be the Adams sales crew to eventually get this product to our local dollar and (large format) hobby stores. Again, kudos to both FT and Adams for creating the product - but surely Adams would appreciate selling more of what they've invested in, and FT would like to see improved access to this wonderful new foam.
At any rate, all suggestions were offered in good faith, with no intent to confer responsibility on FT. Smaller quantities of foam is something I can deal with, perhaps as you suggest. In the meantime, here's hoping these are constructive ideas.

Thanks! :)