Weird Motor Problem (Electronic problem)

Stephen1

I'll try to give as much information as possible, but I'm somewhat of a noob here :) so I built the Bloody Baron over the summer, and it's awesome. I love it, but I recently looked into making it a bit faster. I posted on a different thread* about specifics, and I got a really detailed response telling me exactly what to get. So, as recommended, I bought an NTM 28-35 3000 kv motor, a 50A ESC (a brand wasn't specified so I went with durafly), and a 6x4 prop. I decided to use the same battery as before because I didn't want to buy anything I didn't need. I'll probably end up getting something bigger eventually, but for now it's a 20-30C 2200mAh 3s. Anyways, the problem is when I get past about 3/4 throttle, the motor does something that I can best describe as twitching. It seems to suddenly cut out for a split second but then goes back to the speed it was previously at. The frequency of these "twitches" increases as I approach full throttle. It's important to note that I have not actually flown with this setup. I've only tested the electronics on the ground without the prop attached. (maybe this won't happen with the additional load of a prop?) Something I have noticed is that I test this setup with a partly charged battery, this doesn't happen. But when the battery is fully charged, it does happen.
Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
different thread* http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?37001-Changing-electronics

Tench745

Master member
Essentially, the speed controller is sending pulses to the motor windings faster than the motor can spin with the prop you're running. You either need to increase the ESC timing, run a smaller diameter prop, or a finer pitch prop. Possibly a combination of all three. Start with checking the programming of your ESC though.

Tench745

Master member
Most ESCs have a way of reprogramming just using the transmitter. The manual should tell you how, and if it doesn't I'm willing to bet there's a tutorial somewhere on YouTube. A programmer is quicker, but unless you're doing a lot of tweaking and changing motor settings it;s not worth the expense in my mind. Always reprogram with your prop off for safety.