Weird quadcopter throttle issue.

Kogashuko

Some guy in the elevator tells me, "I saw where a guy got hit in the head with one of those in North Carolina yesterday and it killed him" he then said "It looked a lot like the thing you have," and when I got off the elevator "goodbye, I mean be carefull."

So I looked it up on the internet and found this.

http://blogs.wsj.com/metropolis/2013/09/05/remote-control-helicopter-kills-man-in-brooklyn/

Very tragic indeed but... that thing is spinning a prop the size of a lawnmower blade. Yes mine could hurt you if if it straight slammed into you or cut you a bit (not to minimize it) it certainly wouldnt cut your head off. Heck the thing gets stuck when sand blows into it or a blade of grass gets caught in the props...

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Yea, there's a hot debate going on at rcgroups about the dangers of flying over crowds.

My contention there is, I fear the simplicity and tight flying areas capable and relative ease of flying a multirotor will give rise to several instances of the (examp.) 'drunk frat boy with his 6kg octi at a blowout sorority party and losing control and trying to recover and driving it into a crowd at 35mph severely injuring several people . . .will ultimately bring the Reg-hammer down on the hobby.

Kogashuko

Hints why, when I have been drinking at the beach, I have been waiting until after my daily quad flight. Call me overly cautious but I get in maybe one flight a day because I brought a relativly low C lipo charger to make sure I didnt set the building on fire either. So it takes quite a while to charge my 40-50c 4000mah 3s lipo.

Just like shooting you have to be smart and safe. I shoot in my backyard into a berm, it is perfectly legal, and safe if done right. There is a guy across the road from me that has a registered machine gun that I hear him shooting from time to time in the afternoon. I am not at all worried because someone who has that type of investment is usually going to be safe. However, some people who live down the way and beside me like to drink heavily on new years. The crack crack crack of that idiot's ak47 on midnight new years worries the hell out of me.

Last edited: