What can I buld from 4 2212 950 kv motors and 3 escs

paulshort

Hi there. I have 4 2212 950 kv motors and 3 escs left over from a project. They all have noisy bearings which is why got them. Is there any tricopter that I could build from these motors or is the kv too low. I could also build a quad but would have to buy another ESC. I also have a spare flight controller. Is there any copter that would work off these motors? I keep thinking that the kv is to low for their size so I would have to swing 10 inch props which would make the frame too big which would make it too heavy for the motors. Would i get away with smaller props if I went to a 4 cell lipo? What sort of thrust do these motors have?
here is a link to the motors http://www.helipal.com/stormdrone6-014-brushless-motor.html
I really like tricopters but have never had one. I also have access to a 3d printer.
It seems that 2212 motors are mostly used on 250 miniquads but they use 2300 kv ones

Paul

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
um, no.

2212's are really too heavy for a good 250. 2204 or 2206 are closer to a 250 class race quad, but they are MUCH smaller. A 2212 is a common small-ish size for a 350-450 sized quad (the bigger the frame, the lighter it needs to be) but at 950kv it should be just fine . . .

but . . .

With the "noisy bearings" you're asking for trouble. You'll NEVER be able to balance it well enough to clean up the vibe, so you will forever fight those issues.

If you do go this route, BALANCE AND ISOLATE. Your props should be pristinely balanced, and your control board should have VERY good vibration isolation. Beyond that, any tri frame that will accommodate 10" props will do.

HawkMan

Depending on the motor and if you can remove the clip without destroying it and find the right size bearing it should be pretty simple.

PhenomPilot

I use sunnysky 2212 980kv motors on my tricopter and it flies great. I used the rcexplorer design with shorter arms. Roughly 350-400 size I think. You would just need preferably a metal gear servo and 10x4.5 props on 3 and 9x4.5 props for 4s. I run a 3s 1500-2200mah with plenty of power for mobius and vtx.

As for the squeaky motors, you can try oiling them and seeing if it helps. Removing and soaking the bearings or even replacing them would better but can be quite a chore.