FT Motor 2212 (1050 KV) total amp capability

brownretread

All,

1) I have been searching around this website and the net, and cannot find a clear specification for FT 2212 (1050 KV) total amp capability. 20 amps is one number I saw, but, may have been in the context of another brand that makes 1050 KV motors. As most of you know, this FT motor is sold with the 'B' power pack. Please advise.

I configured my FT Explorer with the 2212 to do some basic 'motor' gliding. What a great, fun platform to fly. As most of you know, some amp parameters would be helpful to know when determining prop specs. Since the Explorer layout prevents using a prop larger than 8" (unless one does some changes to the Explorer to allow a larger than 8" prop), we are pretty-much stuck using an 8" prop. Therefore, trying to determine pitch, so, I can properly load the motor for best performance.

2) On a side note, I recently purchased an FT Simple Soarer. I'm considering using the 2212 motor; or, should I use the motor from the 'C' power pack? IE, the Radial 2218/1180kV motor.

Thanks to all the guru's on this forum in advance.
Brown Retread

PS: BTW, side question, since I've only posted a couple times to this forum, when should I start posting to correct forum category. Thanks.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
... cannot find a clear specification for FT 2212 (1050 KV) total amp capability.....
I could not find it either, the 20 amp number sounds about right.

With a new prop size, it's always a good practice to do a bench test. Runn the motor full speed for 10 seconds, stop and check the temperature of the motor, ESC & battery by touching them. Warm is OK but if it's so hot you can not hold them, STOP, the prop is too big. If it passes, try a 30 second run and check the temps. If it passes try a 60 second run. If if passes try, you can go fly or try a larger prop. Its always a good practice to check the temperatures after a flight. A prop that worked when it is in the 70's may cause over heating when it gets hot out, 95+.

....trying to determine pitch, so, I can properly load the motor for best performance....
Finding the right prop is a trial & error thing. A lot depends on your environment, what is the weather outside, is it hot cold humidity, what is your location, sea-level or in the mountains

...FT Simple Soarer. I'm considering using the 2212 motor; ...
Either motor will work.

...when should I start posting to correct forum category....
No rules on that one. It's when ever you feel like it.

brownretread

I could not find it either, the 20 amp number sounds about right.

With a new prop size, it's always a good practice to do a bench test. Runn the motor full speed for 10 seconds, stop and check the temperature of the motor, ESC & battery by touching them. Warm is OK but if it's so hot you can not hold them, STOP, the prop is too big. If it passes, try a 30 second run and check the temps. If it passes try a 60 second run. If if passes try, you can go fly or try a larger prop. Its always a good practice to check the temperatures after a flight. A prop that worked when it is in the 70's may cause over heating when it gets hot out, 95+.

Finding the right prop is a trial & error thing. A lot depends on your environment, what is the weather outside, is it hot cold humidity, what is your location, sea-level or in the mountains

Either motor will work.

No rules on that one. It's when ever you feel like it.

Merv,
Thank you for your detailed reply.
In the past, I have done current tests on motors after it was assembled.
Then, after flying would merely do a 'hand' test on the motor to feel it's temp.

I will do your recommended bench, timed tests and find the results.

Again, thanks for the reply.
Brown Retread