What charger should I get for my first quad?

str

Hey guys, I am building a 4S 5" quad and I'm wondering what charger I should grab.

I haven't decided on what batteries I'll be running, but I know I'm going 4S, and my goggles will be using a 3S battery.

Any recommendations? I would prefer something that isn't going to be a fire hazard. I plan on building a 'lipo bunker' that I see a lot of people talking about on this site.

What other parts wil I need for my charger? I know a lot of chargers don't come with a power supply, any help in figuring out what sort of power supply I'll need (and where to buy it)?

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times
Personally I think the chargers that include a power supply are the most convenient as a first charger. I have this one

http://www.hobbypartz.com/73p-ac680-accharger.html?gclid=CI233rWsrMoCFYlafgodQMUH3A

But there may be more recent models that are better. This one doesn't have the internal resistance measurement option but that's a nice to have. Also, while it does come with a good selection of adapters, it doesn't come with an XT60 (or XT30) adapter so you will have to buy one or make your own.

As to fire hazard, that is mostly a matter of personal responsibility and knowing how to use your charger and care for your batteries properly. Computer chargers like that one are non trivial to set up and the documentation is often unclear. If you get it wrong and don't pay attention, that's when the fire hazard occurs. It's not generally the device itself.

dayve

Something like the iMax B6AC-V2 maybe? It says it has the internal resistance measurement. The picture shows it coming with an XT60 adaptor. It has a built-in AC supply for ease of use, but you can power it from an external DC supply if you'd like. Also, I've had nothing but great service from Heads Up Hobby.

B6AC with Accessories.jpg

str

Personally I think the chargers that include a power supply are the most convenient as a first charger. I have this one

http://www.hobbypartz.com/73p-ac680-accharger.html?gclid=CI233rWsrMoCFYlafgodQMUH3A

But there may be more recent models that are better. This one doesn't have the internal resistance measurement option but that's a nice to have. Also, while it does come with a good selection of adapters, it doesn't come with an XT60 (or XT30) adapter so you will have to buy one or make your own.

As to fire hazard, that is mostly a matter of personal responsibility and knowing how to use your charger and care for your batteries properly. Computer chargers like that one are non trivial to set up and the documentation is often unclear. If you get it wrong and don't pay attention, that's when the fire hazard occurs. It's not generally the device itself.

Yeah, I would prefer an integrated power supply, unless it is way more cost effective to source my own.

What's the importance of an internal resistance measurement option? What is that useful for?

Something like the iMax B6AC-V2 maybe? It says it has the internal resistance measurement. The picture shows it coming with an XT60 adaptor. It has a built-in AC supply for ease of use, but you can power it from an external DC supply if you'd like. Also, I've had nothing but great service from Heads Up Hobby.

View attachment 61608

Looks reasonable to me. It's now at the top of my (very short) list!

Thanks for the help so far guys

MotoPilot

Turnigy Accucell 6 works great for me and seems like a popular choice. I found a $6 12v power supply at an electronics store with the right plug (probably from an old laptop computer) that powers it just fine. You should have a 60W power supply at least.

pressalltheknobs

Yes. The SKY RC IMAX B6AC is a popular choice. There's a lot of fakes/copies so beware. Some are good. Some are not. Genuine SKY-RC stuff seems to have a good rep though.

Personally I don't like that all the adapter leads use Deans plugs to connect. Why?

I think it's a little less powerful that the Thunder one I got (50W - 6 amps vs 80W - 6amps) but for most uses the difference is not that significant. Those ratings determine what the largest battery you can charge at 1C is. Fex. as I understand it a 5000mAH 4S at 1C takes 5A and 16.8V * 5A = 84W. About max for the Thunder AC680. A 3000mA 4S at 1C takes 3A and 16.8V * 3A = 50 W. About max for the SKY RC B6AC. You can charge larger capacity batteries up to 6S at less than 1C of course. It just takes longer.

dayve

Personally I don't like that all the adapter leads use Deans plugs to connect. Why?

I thought the same thing when I bought mine. It's great that it comes with all those output options, but why not just stick 4mm banana plugs on all of the output adapters and get rid of all of those Deans plugs in the middle? I'd say it's so the user can't mess up the polarity when they change output adapters, but they could still mess it up by plugging the output banana plugs into the charger backwards.

str

Here's an excellent FT Article from Experimental Airlines on just that subject.

Basically, the internal resistance is a decent indicator of the overall health of the pack.

Sweet, thank you for the article and the plain English explanation!

Turnigy Accucell 6 works great for me and seems like a popular choice. I found a $6 12v power supply at an electronics store with the right plug (probably from an old laptop computer) that powers it just fine. You should have a 60W power supply at least.

Ok, so finding a power supply is as simple as digging through that old box of wall warts and matching specs? I keep seeing pictures of people modding server PSUs... I'll add the Turnigy Accucell 6 to my list.

Yes. The SKY RC IMAX B6AC is a popular choice. There's a lot of fakes/copies so beware. Some are good. Some are not. Genuine SKY-RC stuff seems to have a good rep though.

I think it's a little less powerful that the Thunder one I got (50W - 6 amps vs 80W - 6amps) but for most uses the difference is not that significant. Those ratings determine what the largest battery you can charge at 1C is. Fex. as I understand it a 5000mAH 4S at 1C takes 5A and 16.8V * 5A = 84W. About max for the Thunder AC680. A 3000mA 4S at 1C takes 3A and 16.8V * 3A = 50 W. About max for the SKY RC B6AC. You can charge larger capacity batteries up to 6S at less than 1C of course. It just takes longer.

Can you recommend a place to buy a genuine SKY RC IMAX that's in the US?

I thought the same thing when I bought mine. It's great that it comes with all those output options, but why not just stick 4mm banana plugs on all of the output adapters and get rid of all of those Deans plugs in the middle? I'd say it's so the user can't mess up the polarity when they change output adapters, but they could still mess it up by plugging the output banana plugs into the charger backwards.

This seems like a conversation for another thread (unless I'm missing some advice for a first timer trying to charge his batteries!)

dayve

Ok, so finding a power supply is as simple as digging through that old box of wall warts and matching specs? I keep seeing pictures of people modding server PSUs... I'll add the Turnigy Accucell 6 to my list.

Yes. Just be aware that most wall warts can't put out 60+ watts. Laptop power supplies are prime candidates. Just make sure to stay within the input voltage range specified by the charger. Many of the Toshiba power supplies I've seen put out 19V.

Can you recommend a place to buy a genuine SKY RC IMAX that's in the US?

See my link in the first post.

Heads Up RC
4434 SE 183rd Ave Rd
Ocklawaha, FL 32179

pressalltheknobs

Also Laptop power supplies may not have the right connector so you will have to change it and solder on the right one. Not hard but can be a PITA. Depends what battles you like to fight.

On the IMAX adapters, the only point really is that it's a strange way to have done it since it introduces a point of failure for no good reason. However it does come with a useful selection of adapters unlike the accucell which only comes with an XT60.

As an aside, I do not recommend using a squid style multi type adapter harnesses. They can be dangerous - the different type adapters can short together. Better to get individual adapters for the types you use. You can make your own for not too much but to buy they are several dollars each and that's not insignificant when comparing prices.

str

Also Laptop power supplies may not have the right connector so you will have to change it and solder on the right one. Not hard but can be a PITA. Depends what battles you like to fight.

On the IMAX adapters, the only point really is that it's a strange way to have done it since it introduces a point of failure for no good reason. However it does come with a useful selection of adapters unlike the accucell which only comes with an XT60.

As an aside, I do not recommend using a squid style multi type adapter harnesses. They can be dangerous - the different type adapters can short together. Better to get individual adapters for the types you use. You can make your own for not too much but to buy they are several dollars each and that's not insignificant when comparing prices.

Any charger you can recommend with an integrated power supply, and a decent set of adapters?

pressalltheknobs

Any charger you can recommend with an integrated power supply, and a decent set of adapters?

The two already mentioned have decent selections. It really depends on where you are going to buy your batteries and what size you use. It's just a factor to consider if you are comparing prices. If you are only going to use XT60 then doesn't matter much if the Accucel only includes that one. You can always get what you need later.

I have...
Tamiya - Common for toy NiCads
Servo - Common for TX/RX packs
JST-RCY - Common from Hobby King and elsewhere for small batteries
XT60 - Mostly from Hobby King but also some other places for mid sized batteries.
XT30 - Currently only from Hobby King. Was a surprise but I may keep them and stop using JST-RCY I need a charge lead for these

The AC680 included the first 3. I had to make an XT60 and the XT30 is new
The IMAX B5AC has the 3 middle ones.

str

Alright, I'm pretty much sold on the SkyRC iMax B6AC-V2, unless anyone has a reason why I should get something else!

Thanks for the help.

PhenomPilot

That is what I would recommend. I have two iMax B6 (one genuine) and one accucell. All are good chargers and pretty much identical layout.