What to buy?

jwildstr

My kid is interested in getting started with an RC plane, and seems to be pretty set on the Millenium Flerkin. I have a few questions regarding this:

1) Is there a strong/compelling reason he SHOULDN'T start with this one? I don't know how much the kit is "ready to assemble/fly" and how much cutting/trimming, etc. there is where he could really screw things up.
2) What all is actually needed? We were looking at the Value bundle with the Gens Ace 25C 2200 mAh battery and the Aura 5 Lite, as well as adding the FlySky FS-ST8 transmitter and the B3 20W Compact charger, but we weren't sure if we needed to add a receiver or if that came with the bundle, and if we do, which receiver is the right one (I'd assume the FlySky receiver). Are there other things we need? IS that charger compatible with that battery (I assume so, but I couldn't tell from the listing).

Thanks for any information!

Burnhard

Hi there,

As this seems to be the first RC plane for your kid, I guess the Flerkin will be too much as it is designed for speed. With the Aura it can be programmed to fly like on rails but in my experience the programming is not as straight forward as it appears from the videos and if you have no experience with RC planes, that will likely not work out. There is almost a certain chance that you will throw the Flerkin to see it in pieces a few seconds thereafter.

If it‘s all about flying, I would consider getting one of these little 1s birds, which are fully stabilized an so light, they don’t break if they crash (the props may break though). These also come with everything (plane, charger, 1slipo, radio).

On the other hand, if the goal is the building experience which ends in putting some self built plane to the sky, I would recommend a more trainer style plane like a Tutor, Bushwacker or Tiny Trainer. These are much easier to handle and will literally train your kid to be able to handle a Flerkin in a couple of months with regular practice.

I am not sure but I do not think any of the FT bundles includes a receiver and radio.

Hope that helps.

jwildstr

Hi there,

As this seems to be the first RC plane for your kid, I guess the Flerkin will be too much as it is designed for speed. With the Aura it can be programmed to fly like on rails but in my experience the programming is not as straight forward as it appears from the videos and if you have no experience with RC planes, that will likely not work out. There is almost a certain chance that you will throw the Flerkin to see it in pieces a few seconds thereafter.

If it‘s all about flying, I would consider getting one of these little 1s birds, which are fully stabilized an so light, they don’t break if they crash (the props may break though). These also come with everything (plane, charger, 1slipo, radio).

On the other hand, if the goal is the building experience which ends in putting some self built plane to the sky, I would recommend a more trainer style plane like a Tutor, Bushwacker or Tiny Trainer. These are much easier to handle and will literally train your kid to be able to handle a Flerkin in a couple of months with regular practice.

I am not sure but I do not think any of the FT bundles includes a receiver and radio.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for all the info! Yeah, I talked to him, and it sounds like the goal is more just the flying (He says he wants a plane that can do stunts, but I'm not sure that beginner, stunts, and durable are all achievable). It looked like you intended to put a link in to some complete sets, but it didn't come through.

HVB79

A Flerkin is not a good first plane. The only thing a new pilot (of any age) with a Flerkin is going to be doing is smashing it into the ground.

Given that the goal is to just fly, not build, you don't want any FT plane. They all require building. Instead get something that you can just put a battery in and fly like this:

UMX Ultrix

UMX Timber X

Starting out you will want a simple radio that "just works" not something that you need to learn to program. You can always upgrade to a more complex radio later.

Spektrum DSX Radio

Foamforce

I agree with what others have said. Learning to fly involves repeated crashing. Every single person I’ve seen start flying overestimated their ability and crashes often. A first plane should be easy to fly and easy to fix, because it will be crashed a lot.

The full size Millenium is a fairly complex build and requires an unusual launch technique. I would strongly recommend going with the Tiny Trainer. It’s easy to build, easy to fly, easy to repair. You can still do acrobatics with it when you add the sport wing.

tomlogan1

Elite member
Here is a complete package, ready to fly. It can be used by a beginner and as he or she progresses it can to a bit of aerobatics. Full disclosure, this is a plane and controller that would not work with products like Spectrum, for instance, but would be an easy and inexpensive way to get some experience. Many of the more experienced flyers at our field have one or more of these types when they don't want to mess with fuel etc. and just want a quick, easy way to fly.

Good luck.

Burnhard

Thanks for all the info! Yeah, I talked to him, and it sounds like the goal is more just the flying (He says he wants a plane that can do stunts, but I'm not sure that beginner, stunts, and durable are all achievable). It looked like you intended to put a link in to some complete sets, but it didn't come through.
Reposting the link: https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...tu2DxsCDAxWQgv0HHZWNAgwQwg8oAHoECAYQGQ&adurl=

With some googling you can find similar planes from other sources as well.

Bricks

Master member
First thing I would do is get a simulator and start there, many free ones and ones you can buy with a dedicated transmitter which is something you will need to operate with the simulator. Check E-bay some from $20 and up that come with a dedicated transmitter ( not one you can actually fly with ) some will come with a Spektrum DXE or similar that can be used to fly, darn basic but can be used to get one into the air.

Shurik-1960

The first option is the best: an absolutely indestructible glider and can fly even in strong winds.My friend bought this model and changed the engine a year later. Now he has a glider in the hangar from 2 meters, but he always launches this baby first to watch the air flows over the area. His son has been flying this model since he was 5 years old.