What Charger

Aviador

Hey I’m still kind of getting setup and I’m wondering what charger you all suggest. I only have two batteries as of now so I don’t need one that can charge a lot. I don’t really want to spend a lot on one and I’m wondering if a less than $50 one will be a worthwhile purchase. I found these that have good reviews. Or are there other better ones?

SKYRC B6 AC V2 50W
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MZ1ZZ7Z/?tag=lstir-20

HTRC B6 V2 80W
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DV5PSD8/?tag=lstir-20

VENOM PowerPro 4 60W
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZRVHTKB/?tag=lstir-20

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Any of the three listed would be fine as B6 or B6 clones are pretty much what most people start with. that said I would choose the first or second one over the middle one as that needs an external power supply making it one more thing to have to connect or sit around to dust on spring cleaning day.

I have a B6 clone I started with and still use 6 years on. I also have a Venom pro duo charger I upgraded to after I started needing to charge 10+ packs every evening. Just something to think about later. If you enjoy the hobby you WILL be charging a TON of batteries.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
The iMax B6 is a great choice, I have several of them. They will work with most anything up to a 4-5000mah 6S battery. If your batteries are larger, you’ll need larger changer. The ones you have are a bit pricey, you should look around for a better price.

Last edited:

Flyingshark

Master member
I use the HTRC B6 V2 (the middle one). It seems to work pretty well. It just doesn't come with an XT30 plug for smaller batteries, so you'll need to buy another cord. I got a 2-pack of those cords for $5 or something, so it's not too expensive. :) I think the two plugs on the charger end are 2.5mm banana plugs, but you should probably check that before ordering anything.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Hey I’m still kind of getting setup and I’m wondering what charger you all suggest. I only have two batteries as of now so I don’t need one that can charge a lot. I don’t really want to spend a lot on one and I’m wondering if a less than $50 one will be a worthwhile purchase. I found these that have good reviews. Or are there other better ones?

SKYRC B6 AC V2 50W
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MZ1ZZ7Z/?tag=lstir-20

HTRC B6 V2 80W
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DV5PSD8/?tag=lstir-20

VENOM PowerPro 4 60W
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZRVHTKB/?tag=lstir-20

The SkyRC B6 AC V2 or the HTRC B6 V2 are the ones I'd recommend out of those 3. I personally would probably choose the SKYRC B6, because it has the big power brick transformer built into the unit, over the HTRC B6, which has it external, but that's my preference.

One of the reasons I'd recommend either one of these is that they are AC/DC chargers, meaning that you can charge with either home power, or you can connect it up to a car battery or solar charging station out in the field (something many RC clubs are putting together now for charging). The Venom charger you selected is only AC, and so I'm loathe to recommend it because of its lack of flexibility.

The SkyRC B6 is an upgraded version of the Imax B6 that Merv was recommending (in fact, you can see it says IMAX B6 on the outside of it), and the HTRC is a clone.

You CAN find a B6 clone cheaper than this, but they generally don't have the AC power brick with it in an effort to cut costs. If you know how to wire up your own transformer, you can certainly do that, but if you're not sure, either one of those two would be a good start, as Psyborg stated.

sprzout

Mentor
I use the HTRC B6 V2 (the middle one). It seems to work pretty well. It just doesn't come with an XT30 plug for smaller batteries, so you'll need to buy another cord. I got a 2-pack of those cords for $5 or something, so it's not too expensive. :) I think the two plugs on the charger end are 2.5mm banana plugs, but you should probably check that before ordering anything.

The lack of an XT30 connector isn’t surprising - it’s not a common plug. Deans, XT60, and EC3 are more common, so you tend to see those more.

I bought something similar to this a few years ago at AMA Expo West:
82EEB6A0-77D8-4F31-A916-D1CCC20B2944.png

The one I have has EC3, EC5, XT90, Deans, Futaba, JST, and XT60, but as you can see above, there are different cables available for your specific needs. I’d recommend a cable like this if you have different connector types on your batteries; it comes in handy!

sprzout

Mentor
Are these really overpriced? Will I get what I pay for? Or is it better to just get real cheap and keep replacing.

Personally, I’ll tell you to buy what you want. People here are going to tell you to buy the cheapest things you can, which I don’t agree with; I think you should do your research and buy the things that meet your needs, or as close to possible as you can.

I bought the Hitec X2 AC Black edition as my charger. I can charge two different types of batteries at once, and I have the ability to set up QR code’s on each battery, scan it in through an app on my phone, and it’ll set a balance charge automatically. But some people have seen that as frivolous. I see it as a benefit - for me. Was it more expensive than a $45 AC/DC charger that you have listed? Yes. But if I have to buy two of those chargers that you have listed, that’s $90. I paid $100 for mine when I bought it a year ago, got it all in one unit, and got a feature the chargers you listed don’t have. That was worth the extra ten bucks in my book.

Is it worth it to you? That’s your call. Make the decision based on how much you think you’ll use it, what additional features you want, if any, and then, be happy with your purchase. 😁

I think that applies to anything here, whether it’s buying a built plane, a transmitter, a charger...it’s going to be what makes you happy and solves your needs. We might steer you to a few things to start out with so you don’t have headaches (like, I wouldn’t recommend starting off with trying to build the P-38 Master series as your first plane, because there are a lot of techniques they skip over in the build video), but ultimately, it’s your decision.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I totally agree with @sprzout, you need to decide is the price you pay worth it to you.

Myself, the price of the name brand stuff, is not worth it. All of my friends buy the name brand stuff. Their stuff fails just as often as mine. There is no difference in "quality", the difference is in service. They blow an ESC, call the supplier and have a replacement in a day or two. The first one is generally free. I will buy 3 ESC's for what they paid for 1. I just go to the parts bin and grab another. Then, depending on my inventory, I will place an order for replacements. If you can't fly until you get the part, then the wait is a big issue. If you are just replenishing your inventory, then the 4-6 week wait for a part to arrive, is not a problem.

The chargers I buy always come with a lot of connectors, most of them, I will never use. I cut off the ends I don't want and solder on the useful end. Something like an XT30, which I buy in 5-10 at a time.

You do need to decide, pay the name brand price and get it now. Or buy a little inventory, buy a few tools, like a temperature controlled soldering iron and save a few bucks. Nobody can answer that question better than you.

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!

All I did was make adapters that go from XT60 to XT30 since I always have a few spares of those around at all times for builds and replacements

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Are these really overpriced? Will I get what I pay for? Or is it better to just get real cheap and keep replacing.

Certain things you NEED to rethink that whole go cheap mentality.. like batteries and chargers that will burn yer freakin house down when they fail... just sayin... "Be smarter then the things you are working with and NEVER let inanimate objects kick yer behind."

sprzout

Mentor
Certain things you NEED to rethink that whole go cheap mentality.. like batteries and chargers that will burn yer freakin house down when they fail... just sayin... "Be smarter then the things you are working with and NEVER let inanimate objects kick yer behind."

EXACTLY. There's a saying that I grew up with riding motorcycles and BMX: "If you have a ten dollar head, buy a ten dollar helmet." It's not to say that you can't get away with cheaper equipment; plenty of people take those risks day in and day out. But, that's a risk you have to decide on.

I've bought cheap batteries, and I've bought expensive batteries. Some are gimmicky (like the SMART battery & charger systems), but some are worth spending a little more for. For example, I bought some cheap 4S Turnigy batteries, charging them at 2.2a (1C charge rate), and they look like this:
921C8A3C-7238-4AF3-84D9-CDAAC996FDA8.jpeg

Puffy after a year. Why? Couple of reasons - this battery is a 40C discharge rating. I've been flying it HARD with my quads; lesson learned that I needed a higher C rating battery. But higher C rating batteries are more expensive than lower C rating batteries. I tried to cheap out; I could have had a dangerous battery problem resulting in a potential fire because I went cheap and didn't buy the right equipment for the application.

Ultimately, you do what you do, you take the risks you take, but sometimes, it's worth spending a little extra to get something you can trust.

(For those wondering, this particular battery has been completely discharged and is getting ready me to take it to the local Home Depot for recycling)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I have the venom pro 2 . it works for me . here is some info.
Venom pro 2 charger - YouTube

I like my Venom charger a LOT. What really impressed me was charging at Flite Fest we were using a 50000 mah 12 volt lipo / lipoly (not sure exactly as its not mine) storage battery to run my pro duo. I was charging 5s 1300 mah packs (21V) from a 12v battery and it stepped up the voltage and fully charged the packs with zero issues.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
EXACTLY. There's a saying that I grew up with riding motorcycles and BMX: "If you have a ten dollar head, buy a ten dollar helmet." It's not to say that you can't get away with cheaper equipment; plenty of people take those risks day in and day out. But, that's a risk you have to decide on.

I've bought cheap batteries, and I've bought expensive batteries. Some are gimmicky (like the SMART battery & charger systems), but some are worth spending a little more for. For example, I bought some cheap 4S Turnigy batteries, charging them at 2.2a (1C charge rate), and they look like this:
View attachment 192780

Puffy after a year. Why? Couple of reasons - this battery is a 40C discharge rating. I've been flying it HARD with my quads; lesson learned that I needed a higher C rating battery. But higher C rating batteries are more expensive than lower C rating batteries. I tried to cheap out; I could have had a dangerous battery problem resulting in a potential fire because I went cheap and didn't buy the right equipment for the application.

Ultimately, you do what you do, you take the risks you take, but sometimes, it's worth spending a little extra to get something you can trust.

(For those wondering, this particular battery has been completely discharged and is getting ready me to take it to the local Home Depot for recycling)

Ok this is scary.. I was thinking how did a picture of my build table get posted by someone else. I use a lap top, have the same style folding table setup AND the same slippers. If it werent for carpeting Id be a tad nervous. Luckily mine is set up in the kitchen on linoleum with a metal storage box behind me where I have my charging stuff set up as a better safeguard then a plastic table.

sprzout

Mentor
I like my Venom charger a LOT. What really impressed me was charging at Flite Fest we were using a 50000 mah 12 volt lipo / lipoly (not sure exactly as its not mine) storage battery to run my pro duo. I was charging 5s 1300 mah packs (21V) from a 12v battery and it stepped up the voltage and fully charged the packs with zero issues.

I looked at that one when I was thinking about buying a new charger, and the only thing that stopped me from buying it was that the Hitec X2 AC Black had the ability to create QR codes that I could tape to the batteries and then scan via my phone to set the charger up for the appropriate balance charge, vs having to swap back through the system to a saved battery setting to charge it.

That said, I'd consider the Venom pro duo if my charger went on the fritz and I couldn't get a replacement Hitec! Only downside to these Hitec and Venom chargers is that they're more expensive than the 3 chargers listed in the original post. I know that one of the 3 chargers was a Venom charger, but I wouldn't recommend it over the other two if only because that particular Venom charger doesn't have the capability to charge via AC or DC, just AC.

sprzout

Mentor
Ok this is scary.. I was thinking how did a picture of my build table get posted by someone else. I use a lap top, have the same style folding table setup AND the same slippers. If it werent for carpeting Id be a tad nervous. Luckily mine is set up in the kitchen on linoleum with a metal storage box behind me where I have my charging stuff set up as a better safeguard then a plastic table.

LOL what can I say, we FT pilots have great taste! :)

I generally clear everything off of my table when I do charging, and I have a fire extinguisher next to my table in case something goes awry. It's not perfect, but it's the safest I can be until I can convince my wife to let me have a BatBox.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I have the venom pro 2 . it works for me . here is some info.
Venom pro 2 charger - YouTube
I love my venom pro dup as well - it's a fantastic charger! I agree with @sprzout - it really depends on your budget and needs. I've bought enough cheap stuff that I tend to stay away since I have enough other stuff to worry about without having to try to deal with cheap stuff not working. Also what @PsyBorg said about burning your house down is very important. Something like an cheap esc has MUCH less risk associated with it as opposed to a cheap battery or charger. Not to say your ESC can't go up in flames - it's happened to me for no apparent reason before.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
LOL what can I say, we FT pilots have great taste! :)

I generally clear everything off of my table when I do charging, and I have a fire extinguisher next to my table in case something goes awry. It's not perfect, but it's the safest I can be until I can convince my wife to let me have a BatBox.

Just for general knowledge.. the fire extinguish will do nothing for the lipo fire. It will help the surrounding materials though so thats good. a Simple bag of play sand at the charge table would be best for a lipo fire. If you wanted to get REALLY fancy you could use a cooling rack for baking with the sand bag on that over your batteries and charger that way if they ignite the sand bag melts and instantly douses the lipo fire.

Aviador

Just for general knowledge.. the fire extinguish will do nothing for the lipo fire. It will help the surrounding materials though so thats good. a Simple bag of play sand at the charge table would be best for a lipo fire. If you wanted to get REALLY fancy you could use a cooling rack for baking with the sand bag on that over your batteries and charger that way if they ignite the sand bag melts and instantly douses the lipo fire.
Sounds like a good plan