What frequency should I use?

tclemmo

Hey all,
I am looking into (and getting quite excited about) purchasing my first real quad. I will most likely be going with a Blackout Mini-H or a QAV250.
Anyway, enough about the quad itself - I also want to get into FPV flying at some point in the near future, mostly on said quad, but possibly on airplanes as well. I already own a GoPro, and with Christmas not too far away I am looking at buying the Dominator V2's.
However, I'm unsure of what frequency video rx/tx to use. I will mostly be flying around relatively open areas and parks, but I do go 'down south' as we say here in Perth quite often - basically into more forested areas. In that case, I would be flying along bush trails, similar to this one here: http://toursfromsydney.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Aussie-Bush.jpg
In that case, I would probably be turning bends, so the signal would need to transmit through trees etc.
How possible is this? If it is, should I use 2.4gHz or 5.8? I know that 900 is an option however it is quite bulky and heavy for 250 class quads. I already have an older Futaba radio that operates on 36.370mHz, so video on 2.4 should be OK I'm guessing.
Thanks for the help,
Tyler

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
You can get away with 2.4GHz video, so long as you're flying alone and controlling off band (which you say you are). Out in the middle of nowhere you've got no one to step on and no one stepping on you. At a club field or event, the guy who steps up next to you with his 2.4GHz radio might plunge you into a world of noise. Just something to keep in mind if you ever want to come out of the backwoods.

Keep in mind, not only does the VTX gear change, so does the VRX gear. If you don't go 5.8GHz for your primary link, you'll likely have to create a base station for your Dom's to connect to, since their internal radio is 5.8GHz band only. You can put a low-power 5.8GHz repeater on your base station (video out of the VRX is fed into video in on 5.8GHz VTX) to go cordless -- bit more expensive and one more battery, but a bit more convenient.

Also to note . . . I don't know Australia's HAM bands, but if they have a 1.3/1.2GHz band, that might be a fair compromise between 2.4GHz and 900MHz. The antennas are twice larger still than the 2.4GHz, but I've seen mini's fly with them -- Looks weird, but still more manageable than 900MHz.

tclemmo

You can get away with 2.4GHz video, so long as you're flying alone and controlling off band (which you say you are). Out in the middle of nowhere you've got no one to step on and no one stepping on you. At a club field or event, the guy who steps up next to you with his 2.4GHz radio might plunge you into a world of noise. Just something to keep in mind if you ever want to come out of the backwoods.

Keep in mind, not only does the VTX gear change, so does the VRX gear. If you don't go 5.8GHz for your primary link, you'll likely have to create a base station for your Dom's to connect to, since their internal radio is 5.8GHz band only. You can put a low-power 5.8GHz repeater on your base station (video out of the VRX is fed into video in on 5.8GHz VTX) to go cordless -- bit more expensive and one more battery, but a bit more convenient.

Also to note . . . I don't know Australia's HAM bands, but if they have a 1.3/1.2GHz band, that might be a fair compromise between 2.4GHz and 900MHz. The antennas are twice larger still than the 2.4GHz, but I've seen mini's fly with them -- Looks weird, but still more manageable than 900MHz.

Thanks for the info, Dan!

Right now it looks like 5.8GHz might be the way to go. It does make everything a little easier, as I would be flying in public parks etc. more often than out in the bush. It also saves a lot of hassle in getting the doms to work with another frequency.

As for 1.3/1.2 GHz, I think I'd probably be more comfortable operating on common bands - I'm not sure if they require a HAM license, but I don't really want to go through all that trouble when the frequency only really matters at one location.

I should probably also look into the legality around that 36.37mHz radio... I didn't even consider its frequency being an issue as it was given to me by a family member when I first started flying. Google doesn't seem to be giving me any information about 36.37mHz though - the thing that makes me nervous is that it isn't mentioned on any of the websites I've been to.

Do you know what frequency Josh and Alex were using in the Argonay racecourse episode? If it was 5.8GHz, I think it would probably be fine for what I would like to do.

Thanks again,
Tyler

ZoomNBoom

I found that a diversity receiver, such as integrated in the Skyzone goggles, really helps a lot when flying through trees. It also allows you to install one directional patch antenna (which by itself helps a great deal but of course, only if pointing in the right direction) and one omni directional cloverleaf so you can still fly around you with no problems.

Now regardless of setup, 5.8 GHz will not let you go very far in a dense wood, dont expect miracles. For a "miracle solution", you'd need an airborne repeater hovering above your flight track. Something I just have to try one day.

tclemmo

Thanks for the reply!

Does a patch improve range in any way? The diverse receiver seems pretty cool, however I'm feeling pretty set on getting FatSharks.

Now a hovering repeater would be awesome. Maybe the guys should do that on the show - Peter's airship could probably handle it!

I guess I'll have to keep considering my options. 5.8GHz definitely seems to be the easiest and most accessible, and it's probably much better to get a feel for FPV first just using that. I can always move to another frequency later on.

Tyler

ZoomNBoom

Thanks for the reply!

Does a patch improve range in any way?

Absolutely and massively. A 14db patch antenna will roughly triple your range if you fly within the reception beam.

The diverse receiver seems pretty cool, however I'm feeling pretty set on getting FatSharks.

Cant imagine why; For about the same money as a dominator V3, the skyzone V1 gives you integrated headtracking, IPD adjustment, diversity, 32 channels, higher resolution LCD, a built in camera ,... (If you pay extra for the V2, you can even do 3D and you get an integrated DVR).

tclemmo

Cant imagine why; For about the same money as a dominator V3, the skyzone V1 gives you integrated headtracking, IPD adjustment, diversity, 32 channels, higher resolution LCD, a built in camera ,... (If you pay extra for the V2, you can even do 3D and you get an integrated DVR).

Ok - I should have looked further into those goggles as soon as you mentioned them. They look great. I can't wait to get my hands on a pair now! Thank you! I probably wouldn't have looked into anything other than FatShark without your suggestion :)

The diversity will definitely be handy - the range of a patch along with a cloverleaf or mushroom would be great.

Thanks again!

Tyler