What Jet shall I Make Plans For Next?!

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
So Ive made plans for the Whomz Vampire, based on the DeHaviland Vampire which are going to be released soon.

IMG_6436.jpg

Unfortunately I crashed this one today. Fail.

Screen Shot 2015-08-21 at 19.52.03.png

In the meantime, I want to design a new set of plans for the community, and was trying to think of what to make next. I think I would like another fast Jet, one pushed by a monster propeller set up but could be modified to be EDF.

I'm looking for something that's:

• A real aircraft design
  • Capable of extremely fast speeds
  • Got a single engine
  • Has a simple enough shape
  • Has an airfoil

Thing is, if I'm making plans for other people, they should be the ones making suggestions! Post a comment and tell me what to design for you!

Thanks! :)

Last edited:

Aeronaut

Build+Crash= +more power!
If you want to stick to a British design A hawker Hunter (entered service in 1954) would be great! I don't know of any foam built ones so you would be the first! I have to say though if it is going to be a EDF go for a 90mm fan. Sound so much better and much more power/speed.

If you are willing to go for an american design from the 70's, I and many more would love to build a F-14 Tomcat. twin 70mm EDFs and those trade mark swing wings. It would be kinda big with a 50inch fuse or thereabouts but so worth it. If you created one I would build it in a heart beat. Personally I think it would be easier to do the Tomcat than the Hawker Hunter judging by the layout of the two.

saiga556

Full of...
Nobody out there has a good f-16 to my knowledge. I have seen some that are profile'ish but they dont look very good.

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I am liking the sound of all of them!

One plane which stands out is Earthsciteach's idea about the P-80 Shooting Star really stands out for me as something I was looking for.

p80shootingstar-8.jpg

I like the look of the simple shape with the rounded appearance and those intakes. Also I think it would be easy to design to be either EDF or prop powered as the tail seems quite broad and rounded, with space for a conventional motor.

3_15.jpg

A good f - 16 sounds like a great idea! I think I may do that one in the future but not before a P-80.

I will let you know how I get on!

DKchris

How about a Blackburn Buccaneer??
Fairly easy to make distinctively recognizable, yet still ok for a fuse primarily built up of simple profile pieces(Thinking center fuse block + 2 side blocks). With a bit of luck the long tail cone may even facilitate a pusher setup that'll clear the entire tail without disrupting the looks too much.

And quite a special looking plane with an interesting story......

Buccaneer_S2B_Mildenhall_1988.jpeg
blackburn-buccaneer.jpg
buccaneer_1_3v.jpg
Bucaneer-low.jpg

Last edited:

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
How about a Blackburn Buccaneer??
Fairly easy to make distinctively recognizable, yet still ok for a fuse primarily built up of simple profile pieces(Thinking center fuse block + 2 side blocks). With a bit of luck the long tail cone may even facilitate a pusher setup that'll clear the entire tail without disrupting the looks too much.

And quite a special looking plane with an interesting story......

This sounds like a great plane to build a foam board version of! Thanks for letting me know about it. Love the look of those two intakes.

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
Just had a Eureka moment, which is actually a bit annoying because I had forgotten I wanted to make this design, and it's not actually a jet.

What would people think of me building this legend, the Bugatti 100p.

Screen Shot 2015-08-24 at 17.52.30.png

Screen Shot 2015-08-24 at 17.52.52.png

07-08-09_100P.jpg

I've heard a LOT of people asking FT to make this recently. Maybe I could beat them to it and get it manufactured by them as one of their community releases?

Let me know if you'd build one. Personally, I think it's probably the most beautiful plane I have ever seen, something with an incredible story. It's also very relevant as, despite it being designed in 1939, it made it's first flight a few days ago on the 19th August.

Video here!

Aeronaut

Build+Crash= +more power!
I would build one Community release or not. Maybe the 100p could be the first ever Flite test design to feature retracts as you have to worry about the Y tail! What are you thinking wing span wise? If it was FT Spitfire size or slightly bigger to fit the retracts that would be even more amazing. I can't wait for this build!!!

mrwhiskers

Ludicrous speed, GO!
you should also do a Consolidated-Vultee XP-81. a mixed-power plane from the late 1940s. with a General Electric XT-31 turboprop in the front and a General Electric J33 turbojet in the back, this thing had plenty of power. one prank pilots would play is fly up next to someone who had never seen a jet before, shut down the turboprop, and zoom ahead with only the jet. XP-81.jpg

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
As awesome as it would be to see a 100p, it will be a very hard plane to design. It has a LOT of curved that are incredibly hard to replicate with sheets of foam. To really do it justice, you'll have to do a lot of formers and posterboard.

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
As awesome as it would be to see a 100p, it will be a very hard plane to design. It has a LOT of curved that are incredibly hard to replicate with sheets of foam. To really do it justice, you'll have to do a lot of formers and posterboard.

True. Might have a go anyway. :)

Flyingninja

F-86 Sabre. Its one of my favorites. But it is American, so if you want British aircraft I would go with the Eurofighter Typhoon(my profile pic).

-Flyingninja:cool: