What should I expect/look out for...

basslord1124

Master member
If I change my aileron FT Storch to a flaperon FT Storch? And it's really not so much the aileron side of that but moreso using them as flaps too. I have never flown a plane with flaps before but I like the idea of doing more STOL flying. Especially for landings so I don't have to be fixing my landing gear all the time. :) In the mean time, I may check out my RC simulator (RealFlight) for any sort of planes with flaps that I can take for a test flight.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Flaperons! Well as flaps you can expect an increase in lift when deployed as flaps this can produce a sudden pitch up or climb and a rapid slowing. As with all things it depends on the amount of flap that you mix in or deploy.

I recommend that you land with a little throttle if you are trying to do a somewhat level approach and landing to avoid flying too slow and stalling especially in turbulent air.

With deadstick landings approach slightly nose down to keep up speed and overcome increased drag. level out very close to the ground and allow the plane to settle as it slows. You can flare but if using extreme flaps you can cause it to stall rather than just settle gently.

Do not start out at maximum flaps as the effect can be severe. Start with only a small amount and increase it as you get used to the effect. As the stall characteristics of the wing will change I suggest that you practice your low speed flying at a proper height to allow you enough time to recover if it all goes wrong!

My hangar includes a number of EX-flaperon experiments that were gifted to me post crash for me to repair or discard.

If the experiments do not work out for you there is another way to add flaps to a full span aileron ship. That is to cut the ailerons down to provide inboard flaps and then mix a little aileron into the flaps channel. That way the whole TE is still aileron but you have inboard flaperons for landing.

Just my thoughts!

Have fun!

basslord1124

Master member
Awesome, thanks for reply Hai-Lee. The one thing I always did hear from others was the pitch up tendencies so I did know about that part of it. I should mention my Storch has full span ailerons. And yeah I was gonna start with a small amount first or perhaps setup multiple amounts.

Funny story too kinda on the subject... last year I was flying my Storch at our RC club field and it came time for landing. I tried to go for just a standard landing but nothing too hot/fast. Everything was looking good, except the wind picked up some while I was still at the far end of the field for my approach. With my slow speed and the faster wind, I was basically hovering there at the end of the field for what felt like a few minutes and only 4-5 feet off the ground. I was a little afraid to gun and try again it as I thought the wind might shift and cause me to hit the ground a little harder than what i was expecting. So I more or less just floated only nudging a little bit before eventually just giving up and lightly touching her down. It was a very STOL floaty slow landing even though I didn't have flaps. And then of course I had to walk a good distance to retrieve it. Guys were saying my landing was better than my takeoff lol.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
You just reminded me of a very important rule when it comes to flaps!

Flaps are for take off and landing ONLY! Do not taxi with flaps deployed!

Taxiing with flaps deployed can result in an unexpected lift off and risk and damage or injury to others or the plane itself.

Have fun!

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
you also may find you need to mix a little down elevator with your flaperon settings. keeps the plane from jumping when you deploy the flaps. i usually set up most of my 4-channel planes as a flaperon due to the fact that it allows you individual adjustment of each aileron. just because you have flaps don't mean you have to use them, or even set them up but being able to control each side individually can make life easier in many situtations.

laters,

me :cool:

basslord1124

Master member
Good idea mrjdstewart...I like that! I may try that out after I see how she responds. I know it all comes down to personal preference in the end, but does anyone have a good sort of starting point whether by percentage (I have a Spektrum radio) or by distance that I could start with.

I'm about ready to get my Storch back together (I was redoing my color scheme) and get her flying again. Just gotta double check for any last minute paint touch ups, put my new landing gear on (I'm ditching the wired landing gear), and put my electronics back in. I'm actually going to put a 4S capable motor on it.

dryhiker

I have used flaperons on my Tiny Trainer. Mixing in some down elevator helps a lot. I can deploy flaps and not have the plane react in pitch.

Also, with flaps deployed fully, roll control may become more interesting. The effect may seem like control reversal. If both flaps are fully deflected, then rolling right should have the right flap become less deflected. That will remove drag from the right wing, causing a yaw to the left with roll left as well. I observed that while maneuvering with full flaps while flying higher up. You may want to experiment at higher altitudes first.

Andy.