• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

What to make?

Carbon

Elemental Madness
Here's what I have:
motor
esc- 45amp
battery- 2200mah 3 cell

flying wing is the way i want to go i think. ideas?

Last edited:

earthsciteach

Flying wing is a great idea! That motor can push a pretty decent sized wing around, but it won't be speed demon. Think large and stable. Here's a layout that should work well. Dimensions are in inches.

Attachments

earthsciteach

I recommend delving into hot wire cutting while you are at it. If you have a car battery charger, all you need is a steel, E guitar string ($0.99) and a simple wood frame to pull it taught. Then, simply make the root chord and tip chord airfoil profile from a piece of plywood or balsa sheet (not rocket science), hot glue to a piece of xps foam board insulation from the hardware store, and cut. Easy as can be!

Well, its a good idea to practice cutting on scraps before cutting your wings. It takes a couple of times to get a feel for the speed to cut. Tip: Even though the wing tip profile may be shorter than the root profile, make them the same length. I know that makes no sense, but I can't think of how to describe it in words well. Um.... Make the tip profile with a tail straight out from the trailing edge so the the tail length + tip profile length = the root chord length. It will become apparent why you want to do this when you cut.

earthsciteach

There are so many ways you can make one, but they all boil down to stretching a length of Nichrome wire or thin steel guitar string tight and passing dc current through it. I find a 12 v car battery charger works great for up to 30" of wire. It may work for larger sizes, but I haven't built one that long, yet.

I'll post a pic of mine, but it isn't the way I'd do it, if I was to start over. It works just fine, but there are some aspects of it that I could improve. I suggest you google hot wire foam cutters and search the same on youtube. You'll find a bunch of information and techniques of construction.

PaulT

Mentor
I'm just in the process of getting some blocks of EPO, but this Divinity 2 looks like an awesome build...time, time I need more time....