What to Use for Firewalls?

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
The puck board is as light as any ply you would use just isnt as prone to breaking in a crash. I have some ply firewalls break just on a belly landing in the winter, the cold

basslord1124

Master member
You spent HOW MUCH OMG must be something even cheaper. :eek: :devilish: :love:

Yeah kinda similar to what @nerdnic did except I believe he used a plastic trash can. Sad thing is, I've only used one of them...it's on my Simple Cub and it's held up fine. Oh yeah, I could cut em out with scissors. At the standard firewall size they flex just a little so with that in mind, I would think it'd take a pretty hard hit to break it.

The only thing I would worry about is if the motor runs hot if it'd soften or melt the plastic which is something that 3D printed firewalls can face too.

Zetoyoc

Elite member
Yeah kinda similar to what @nerdnic did except I believe he used a plastic trash can. Sad thing is, I've only used one of them...it's on my Simple Cub and it's held up fine. Oh yeah, I could cut em out with scissors. At the standard firewall size they flex just a little so with that in mind, I would think it'd take a pretty hard hit to break it.

The only thing I would worry about is if the motor runs hot if it'd soften or melt the plastic which is something that 3D printed firewalls can face too.
I thought about heat with my plastic firewalls but I think if you are running hot enough to melt or even soften the plastic you have much more serious problems. Melting temp for pla is near 180c. (356f). Even if you consider half of that safe to prevent softening prior to melting you are still running the motor way to hot. At 60c or 140f the glues and magnes in your motor may start to come apart or demagnetize and the oils in your bearing would be long gone at that point. So :). Try not to run your motor hot enough to worry about the plastic melting

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member

When it comes down to it you spent $3 for 30 firewalls at $0.10 a piece. I would say that is a good buy if they work. Looking for other materials just to shave a few cents off per firewall is something a large corporation might do to increase profits on a million units. One less olive in the jar kinda thing. If it works keep using it, great tip.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I agree with @Zetoyoc, if your motor is hot enough to melt plastic, it’s way too hot.
With motors, ESC's and batteries, warm is ok, but if it is soo hot you can not hold it you hand for 20 seconds or so, it's too hot.

Last edited: