Which Bixler is best for a newbie?

androyd

So today is a May Day sale at HK. I've made a few foamies, and figured that it might be time to upgrade a little bit.

I'm still a completely beginner, so I don't want anything too agressive. I was thinking that one of the Bixlers might be a good place to start, but I don't know which version to get.

Can someone recommend a version for a total novice? or perhaps another plane from HK? Thanks for your help.

androyd

Oh yeah. I forgot to mention that I have a spektrum dx6 (the new one, not the old one) and receiver. I figure that might be important.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Josh. Although Jen is nice too, but she doesn't know as much about RC ;)

Seriously of the three, it's hard to go wrong with any of them. the latest versions of 1 are ironed out and as simple as can be, 2 adds some nice features and 3 picks up LG and a more refined setup.

longevity (barring demolition) goes in reverse order -- 3 will be up to more oddball projects than 2 than 1.

As far as the radio, if you've got an unused 6 channel RX (or put one on order), it should be able to work on any of them without issue.

Last edited:

ZoomNBoom

My brother bought a bixler 2 as trainer for his girlfriend; one thing we discovered is that in some way it is "too easy": the bixler has a very strong tendendency to return to wings level. I would have thought that makes it easier to fly for a novice, but that actually made it confusing to her, made it more difficult to understand how banking and the ailerons are supposed to work.

Since you already have some flight experience, maybe for you it wont be a problem, but I thought Id mention it.