Which motor for Tricopter.

Crazy Goats

I am thinking of building my first multi rotor, and want to build the old Tricopter V2.6HV. I'm not sure what motor to get though. I want cheap motors, that have a good bit of power.

I like these motors because i think they can give the same amount of thrust as the gt2215/09 can, but sucks less amps, and is cheaper.
http://www.banggood.com/Emax-XA2212-820KV-980KV-1400KV-Brushless-Motor-For-RC-Models-p-918124.html
Is that really the case or am I mistaken?

but for a multi rotor, would it be better to use the lower kv motor and bigger props, or higher kv and smaller props. Which would give the best flight time, and which would give the most lift? Im guessing the lower kv/bigger props would give better times.

RGJameson

Those Emax motors are fine (well reviewed) , 3 of 980kv with 1045 props should give you 2100+ grams thrust (3S) at 12A/ea. Keep your AUW <900 grams and you'll be good to go.

Garret234

Good luck on your multi rotor build Crazy goats! I finished my anycopter about a month ago and have been loving it ever since. I know that the anycopter is kinda out dated but for me wood is the best option. Also what FC do you plan to use?

Crazy Goats

Thanks everybody!

RGJameson, ok I will be using those motors. Idk about my weight, but I'll try to keep it under 900g. Thanks.

mumbi and crash recovery: Sorry, I'm trying to build this tri as cheaply as possible, ( bad idea sometimes, I know) so I wont be using those motors. Thanks.

Garret: Thanks! I will be using wood too, although flying a multirotor is no problem for me. The cost of carbon fiber is too much. And I will be using the KK board probably. I like the simplicity of it, and after all these years it is pretty tried and tested.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I'm in process building an 'old school' electrohub tricopter using sunnysky 2212-9 kv1400's and a kk2.1 pre-flashed with the latest stevis 1.19pro from http://simplecopter.com - good prices, very fast shipping, great service, and pre-flashed flight controllers! what's not to love?

I just did initial calibration last night and everything is working as expected using david w's initial PI settings. Hopefully get to put it in the air this weekend.

RGJameson

Thanks everybody!

RGJameson, ok I will be using those motors. Idk about my weight, but I'll try to keep it under 900g. Thanks.

Garret: Thanks! I will be using wood too, although flying a multirotor is no problem for me. The cost of carbon fiber is too much. And I will be using the KK board probably. I like the simplicity of it, and after all these years it is pretty tried and tested.
I used this wood.
https://www.menards.com/main/p-1444439593849-c-12188.htm?tid=-9065431505904780153

And this for the arms.
https://www.menards.com/main/home-d...438754821-c-12188.htm?tid=1264177809169060427

And there is no reason to get fancy, the simple to cut coffin shape works fine.

tricopter61.jpg

Do note with that hobby plywood it flexes more in one direction, so when you cut the plates offset one by 90 degrees.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
I've been thinking of doing a tricopter build. Either a mini or an old school one with some DT750s I have. Sometimes its nice to experience what building a multirotor was like back in the day. And by back in the day I mean like two years ago.

Crazy Goats

Thanks RGjameson!

I've been thinking of doing a tricopter build. Either a mini or an old school one with some DT750s I have. Sometimes its nice to experience what building a multirotor was like back in the day. And by back in the day I mean like two years ago.

Haha! I really like the look of the old tricopter. Especially this one.

Crazy Goats

The tricopter build says to use a 4s 3000. What is the advantage of running a 4s? I'm wondering because the escs I am looking at are only rated for a 2-3s.

Last edited:

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
You can certainly use a 3s, especially with the motors you got. If you used a 4s the motor will be stressed spinning a larger prop faster so you will have to downprop to avoid burning the motor. The EMAXs you linked don't claim to 4s so you'd have to risk trying it. I run Sunnysky 2212s on 4s even though they are rated for 3s so it is possible.

jaskoller

I used DT750's and they are work horses. Haven't seen a need to change them yet. I'm on 3s with David's V2 running kk2.1.5. The thing is just rock solid. Can't remember what props I'm using but I think I'm running 10x4.7's. I have a bomb drop on it and can carry a ton of weight.