Help! My Autistic 9 year old really wanted to get into the hobby which so far is a lot of fun, but my props keep flying off! cheapest $20 planes

MARCO2093

Hey Guys! My Autistic 9 year old really wanted to get into the hobby so I found 2 of the cheapest nearly indestructible planes i could find. 1 is a $20 jet and the other a $30 b17. both work on differential prop speed to turn. Luckily I had the foresight to order extra props for them of varying sizes that just slip on nothing fancy. The pins for the "jet" motors are slightly smaller then the b17 but even though the ones that work seam to fit pretty snug we end up looking for them every other flight! we spend more time looking for and replacing props then flying. I was thinking a tiny dap of hot glue so i can still pop them off when they break (which only happens on the b-17) but i dont want any to accidentally get in the little mortors, another part of me though maybe applying a little heat but the props are so thin i think they would warp. I dont want to get a nice plane until we figure these out which are a blast to fly despite being the cheapest of the cheap Chinese foam planes, and they actually fight the wind which is awesome. But any suggestions? I mean I got these for him for Christmas and the bigger one has already gone through like 20 props. I've had the same problem with the cheap drones too

Shurik-1960

The proverb says A miser pays twice. It has already been said and written a lot that it is better to buy the first model of the Bixler type. This type of model is called a motor glider. Aliexpress has motor gliders with a span of up to 1 m. The Internet will help you. Count the money you have already invested, the lost time and the lost pleasure of flying - you will feel sad.
My daughter started flying at the age of 5.The video shows a boy, a neighbor in the country and a friend of my daughter. His parents asked him to teach him how to fly. This is the second flight in his life with a self-landing. He is a few years old.

Tench745

Master member
Hey Guys! My Autistic 9 year old really wanted to get into the hobby so I found 2 of the cheapest nearly indestructible planes i could find. 1 is a $20 jet and the other a $30 b17. both work on differential prop speed to turn. Luckily I had the foresight to order extra props for them of varying sizes that just slip on nothing fancy. The pins for the "jet" motors are slightly smaller then the b17 but even though the ones that work seam to fit pretty snug we end up looking for them every other flight! we spend more time looking for and replacing props then flying. I was thinking a tiny dap of hot glue so i can still pop them off when they break (which only happens on the b-17) but i dont want any to accidentally get in the little mortors, another part of me though maybe applying a little heat but the props are so thin i think they would warp. I dont want to get a nice plane until we figure these out which are a blast to fly despite being the cheapest of the cheap Chinese foam planes, and they actually fight the wind which is awesome. But any suggestions? I mean I got these for him for Christmas and the bigger one has already gone through like 20 props. I've had the same problem with the cheap drones too
My one concern with hot glue is that it could unbalance the prop causing excessive vibration. I would maybe try a tiny drop of super glue in the prop, being very careful not to get it into the motor when you put the prop on. The motor shafts are smooth enough you should still be able to pull the prop off when it needs changing. And if it doesn't come off, the prop is already broken, so just break or cut the old one off.

MARCO2093

The proverb says A miser pays twice. It has already been said and written a lot that it is better to buy the first model of the Bixler type. This type of model is called a motor glider. Aliexpress has motor gliders with a span of up to 1 m. The Internet will help you. Count the money you have already invested, the lost time and the lost pleasure of flying - you will feel sad.
My daughter started flying at the age of 5.The video shows a boy, a neighbor in the country and a friend of my daughter. His parents asked him to teach him how to fly. This is the second flight in his life with a self-landing. He is a few years old.
Honestly these cheap ones are actually really impressive in capability and durability, I can't tell you how many times they've slammed into brick walls at full speed or cement and not even really get a scratch on them, or how many times they've got stuck in trees and been hit by snowballs and basket balls and sticks to get them out. Honestly my only complaint is the props flying off or getting broken and they didnt start flying off for a few weeks, i really have no other complaints about them and would def buy them again and are a lot of fun. Eventually id like to get more advanced ones when we've mastered these. The B-17 i had a little issue with out of the box because it would take off and go strait up and just stall out but i solved that with smaller props and learning to control the throttle, but the props only pop off when it hits something. If i can figure out how to make them more snug they would be perfect learners

MARCO2093

My one concern with hot glue is that it could unbalance the prop causing excessive vibration. I would maybe try a tiny drop of super glue in the prop, being very careful not to get it into the motor when you put the prop on. The motor shafts are smooth enough you should still be able to pull the prop off when it needs changing. And if it doesn't come off, the prop is already broken, so just break or cut the old one off.
ive been thinking about that too, the nice part of hot glue is that you can just scrape it off really easy and i was worried about super or modeling glue dissolving the foam or not being able to get them off again if they break but the hot glue is so messy and hard to control, but im going to give it a shot and see what happens, ill hot glue one and super glue the other and see what works better. I wish I could replace them with fancier click on props but I dont think theres enough space for bigger props.