WL Toys V931 Review

shortbus1989

I do random gravitychecks
I've been given the awesome opportunity to review the WL Toys V931 courtesy of banggood .com.

101_1373.jpg

Overview:

This is a 6 channel collective pitch 3D capable scale micro helicopter. It is powered by a brushless 11000kv main motor and a brushed 8502 tail motor. It uses the same board, main motor, servos, and frame as the V977. The tail motor is much larger and more powerful than the V977, the blades and frame are different as well. This helicopter has a triple bladed plastic grips and a billet head, this in flight feels motor stable and predictable than the V977. The transmitter is identical to the one from the V977 and they both bind between each other as well.

The full scale is know as the Eurocopter AS350, this helicopter was introduced in 1975 and it has been used in multiple application from military to fire fighting. It also holds the record for the highest take off and landing for any helicopter(8,848 meters on the top of the Mount Everest). If you like to watch heli ski and snow board videos you will see this helicopter appear more than any other due to its high altitude abilities. I've had the chance to ride in the helicopter, it was a very stable flight through a canyon in Kauai. I will attach the video as words cannot describe how much fun it was.

The Good:
Comes with 2 batteries
Scale details
3 Bladed to much scale
Very 3D capable
color scheme is easy to see

The Bad:
Wires for tail motor not secure
Tail stablizers not glued in
board and battery get hot

Unboxing:

I thought the packaging for the V977 was good, this packaging is even better. Though not as small it keeps everything seperated and easy to see. Nothing was stressed, pressed or damaged.

101_1370.jpg

Setup:

The charger has two porst to charge both batteries at once, this took about 60 minutes. Then I plugged the battery in and placed the V931 on a flat surface and turned on the transmitter, a red light on the board will flash repeatedly. This is the gyros intializing, do not move the V931 until the light turns solid. Once solid I check controls and placed the V931 on the floor for it's first spool up, when the main motor spooled up the tail motor did not responed to any inputs. Upon further inspection I noticed the tail motor wires got wrapped into the main gear and the positive wire was broken. I was able to fix the wire and relocate both wires above the main gear, inital buyers CHECK THIS FIRST. I sent an email to banggood to let WL know of this issue.

Maiden flight:

I was some what nervous as this is my first scale helicopter, so I took of in 6G mode. In doing so the heli was extremely stable, easy to hover and fly a few patters. Once comfortable I switched to high rates and jammed the cyclic stick in all directions to test the gyros, I didn't see any glitches or loss in control from to many unputs from the tx. From there I moved to 3 axis or 3D mode without Idle up, still felt very comfortable and stable in a hover and with pattern flying. Then flicked the idle/3D switch and to my surprise there was no change in pitch, my V977 gets a slight negative pitch when I switch into 3D. Very good on WL for fixing this in the V931.

Light 3D flight:

For my 3rd flight I felt I needed to try some flips and rolls. So I started in idle up on the ground and another happy surpirse was the V931 did not spin around in circles, I believe this is due to the larger tail motor. Once in te air I went up about 25 feet and tried a front flip and it was so easy and with out stress, same for the back flip, for my first roll I almost went into a bush but was able to recover just before. From there is continued pushing it through flips and rolls until the battery got low, you can hear the rpms reduce, this is the time to land. I was skeptical of the landing skid so I hit the throttle hold about 5 feet off the ground and let it fall, no damage to the skid, frame, or body at all.

Body Length: 238 mm
Height: 77mm
Weight: 65.5g (Body)
Battery: 3.7V 500mAh 25Cx2
Flight time: About 5 in 3d mode, and 6-7 normal.
Main Motor: Brushless 1106 11000KV
Tail Motor: Brushed 8502

Is it for a beginner?

Nope, start with the V911. Then the V977 and once you can handle that you should be ready for the V931. Though I believe the V931 is easier to fly, the body does seem some what fragile and might break in a heavy crash.

Is it worth the price?

Though 127.99(at the time of this review) seems high, I say yes it is worth it. Look for another scale 3D heli for this price, you wont find it.

Will it make me breakfast?

No, but it might be a good way to start your day.

101_1369.jpg 101_1372.jpg 101_1375.jpg 101_1376.jpg 101_1377.jpg 101_1379.jpg 101_1380.jpg 101_1381.jpg 101_1382.jpg 101_1383.jpg 101_1384.jpg 101_1386.jpg 101_1387.jpg 101_1389.jpg DSC_0005.JPG DSC_0006.JPG DSC_0007.JPG DSC_0008.JPG DSC_0009.JPG DSC_0010.JPG DSC_0011.JPG DSC_0012.JPG DSC_0013.JPG DSC_0014.JPG DSC_0015.JPG DSC_0016.JPG DSC_0019.JPG DSC_0021.JPG DSC_0022.JPG DSC_0023.JPG DSC_0026.JPG DSC_0027.JPG DSC_0028.JPG DSC_0029.JPG DSC_0030.JPG DSC_0033.JPG DSC_0035.jpg

Review and Maiden

Aggressive flight with some 3D

Flight inside AS350 when I was in Kauai
Final thoughts:

I never thought I would be a 3D heli guy, but I think I've caught the bug after seeing the helicopter I took a tour in doing a back flip over my head while beating the air into submission. I can't believe the quality you can get for the money. I would really recommend gluing the tail motor wires as high as you can to prevent damage from the main gear. Also glue the tail fins in place, I'm still trying to find one that I lost inside some where. I'm still trying to think of something that's actually bad about it since the issues I have are completely fixable, not to sound like a shameless plug but I cannot think of something bad about this helicopter.

stay-fun

Helicopter addict
Nice review dude!

So, no negative points? How about the tail motor wire that broke due to the main gear? Or was that your own fault? :rolleyes:

Hey what's that 'big' flybarred heli in one of your pictures? The canopy looks like a fairly old style align... Trex 450?

shortbus1989

I do random gravitychecks
Thanks

Nice review dude!

So, no negative points? How about the tail motor wire that broke due to the main gear? Or was that your own fault? :rolleyes:

Hey what's that 'big' flybarred heli in one of your pictures? The canopy looks like a fairly old style align... Trex 450?

Thank you and I have a bad section but there is a lot to read so I added it below, I would call the wires a wash as I should have inspected it closer since it traveled across the planet with out any other issues. The 450 is an old Dynam E-Razor 450 with a trex canopy since it has tested gravity once before:) not a great 3D ship, need to get a better tail servo and adjust the pitch.

The Bad:
Wires for tail motor not secure
Tail stablizers not glued in
board and battery get hot

Last edited: