Yaw tuning problems

PKbunyi

Hello all,
I am using the Flip 1.5 on a Blackout H quad like the Flite Test guys. I am trying to tune it in and it has been great except for the yaw. When I yaw, it yaws faster to the left than to the right. I try to compensate by adding more throw to the right on my tx but it hasn't helped. Today I flew it and sometimes it didn’t want to yaw to the right at all. I have also been trying to tune in the gains because when I begin to yaw it revs quickly and shoots upward a bit and also when I stop yawing. I was wondering if someone can tell me where to begin in solving this problem or may be Flite Test had a custom firmware for the quad. Thank you for your help!

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
What are your current PID's? It sounds like your tuning is way out. I can post my pids if you like although they won't be exactly right as I use cutdown 6" props which change the tuning. I also use a Naze 32 but they are based on Multiwii and I have found my friends who use a flip to have similar settings to me.

With regard to quad gaining height when you start the yaw and then when you stop the yaw, follow the these basic rules.
If the quad gains height when you start the yaw, the P gain (or possibly D gain) is too high.
If the quad gains height when you stop the yaw, the I gain is too high.

PKbunyi

These were the settings I was messing with last time. I have been playing with the gains and haven't made progress. set.jpg

PKbunyi

I am using ZMR 1804 2400kv motors and using 5x3 props. Not sure how much it weighs. I was running it naked without fpv equipment.

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
Your motor/prop setup and weight are going to be quite different to mine so that will effect the PID's a fair bit and My PID's probably won't suit you. My PID's are already way higher than yours. Try lowering the P and I gains little by little like I said above to get the quad stable in yaw.

As for it not yawing the same amount both directions, that does sound strange. Have all the esc's been calibrated through the Flip? Have the accelerometers been calibrated? Are all four props in good nick? Do all motors feel smooth and have nice feeling bearings?

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
BTW, you're RC rate down the bottom of the page is huge! Just be aware of that if you increase you roll/pitch rate.

My RC rate is 1.5, roll/pitch rate is .65 and yaw rate is .90 and that is enough for 360 deg flip every second.

PKbunyi

I have calibrated the ESCs through my receiver but wasn't sure how to calibrate through the board. My back right motor feels off. It is less "clicky" and more smooth but that motor would affect the left rotation not the right I think. It is spinning light speed to the left but crawling to the right.

PKbunyi

BTW, you're RC rate down the bottom of the page is huge! Just be aware of that if you increase you roll/pitch rate.

My RC rate is 1.5, roll/pitch rate is .65 and yaw rate is .90 and that is enough for 360 deg flip every second.

I see. However there is two setting. One at the bottom and one at the top by the gains. I just chose one because I didn't really now the difference.

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
I have calibrated the ESCs through my receiver but wasn't sure how to calibrate through the board. My back right motor feels off. It is less "clicky" and more smooth but that motor would affect the left rotation not the right I think. It is spinning light speed to the left but crawling to the right.

There is a command in the MW sketch that calibrates the ESC's but I don't know it sorry as I use a Naze 32. One of the MW boys like Craftydan or Jhistema may know though.

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
I see. However there is two setting. One at the bottom and one at the top by the gains. I just chose one because I didn't really now the difference.

The ones at the top are specific to the controls they are next to. The one at the bottom is for everything.

PKbunyi

What are your current PID's? It sounds like your tuning is way out. I can post my pids if you like although they won't be exactly right as I use cutdown 6" props which change the tuning. I also use a Naze 32 but they are based on Multiwii and I have found my friends who use a flip to have similar settings to me.

With regard to quad gaining height when you start the yaw and then when you stop the yaw, follow the these basic rules.
If the quad gains height when you start the yaw, the P gain (or possibly D gain) is too high.
If the quad gains height when you stop the yaw, the I gain is too high.

So I noticed when I turn down the P gain, which is down to 1 now, I need to trim my craft to the right more and more which is the way it doesn't want to yaw.