• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Zephyr cross Bixler...

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
OK, so here's the score... The Zephyr (EDF powered glider) is in testing at HK at the moment. If the Lancaster is anything to go by, it's now only a year or so away... ;)

While waiting for the Zephyr to come out, and a motor-less Bixler in my hanger awaiting repair, I've been contemplating fitting a very powerful 55mm EDF unit to the Bixler and seeing how it goes... What do people reckon? Pointless, worthwhile, crazy, ingenious?

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
By the way, I know where HK got the basic design for the Zephyr now... Leximodel EDF balsa/composite glider. I'm looking forward to seeing the Zephyr in flight.

I don't think I'll fit the EDF to the Bixler after all. Just held the two items together, looked at each of them a few times, and couldn't see how it would work.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
I don't think I'll fit the EDF to the Bixler after all. Just held the two items together, looked at each of them a few times, and couldn't see how it would work.
I agree - a 55 mm does not have a lot of push - try a little bigger in diameter and put it above the wing - get rid of the normal motor mount.
Supposed you have looked at
and

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Yeah. This 55mm is special though... A very powerful little unit. It takes a strong grip to hold this thing in bench testing. I think it'd do enough, but I'm wanting to use the Bixler for FPV later and that's the main issue with modifying to fit an EDF.