FAA banning FPV Goggles

YetAnotherDave

I find this all very interesting.

One last question. (Until my next one)

Originally, my friends and I wanted to get some 250 class drones and race. We wanted to make a closed course track, put on our goggles and do a full on race. I have a few connections and could get a front page piece in the paper to get more folks in the aria involved.

There is a local flight club in my town that's pretty small. There forum hasn't been used in 3 years however they do seem to be meeting. If I join them (they are an AMA club) could I do the races without much (or any) kickback you think?

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
There is a local flight club in my town that's pretty small. There forum hasn't been used in 3 years however they do seem to be meeting. If I join them (they are an AMA club) could I do the races without much (or any) kickback you think?

I'm not quite sure if this is what you're asking, but if you are an AMA member, and affiliated with an AMA club, you can submit an application to be a contest directory for AMA sanctioned events. One of my club members did so last year for a electric combat contest held by our club (CRRC) and it only cost $20 (paid for by the club):

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/303.pdf

YetAnotherDave

That might be the ticket right there!

The club meets at a pretty inopportune time for me. But I'm going to try to make it to the next meeting. Definitely tanking this with me.
Thank you Mac!
And thanks to you too FAI-F1D
Really every one. This whole place seems awesome!

YetAnotherDave

No. First and foremost, it makes a lot of people a lot of money.

I've been trying to keep up with the debates and the fact that other countries and nations are getting drones and other aircraft implemented in a beneficial and profitable way. They keep saying we don't want to fall behind. They want "to make sure we integrate it safely. Because safety is our number one concern" said some guy in the debate.

The more I see the more I think its like the oil. The companies that can make money off it want to make sure they can make the most money for a long time. In my opinion.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Pretty much dead on the nose. The FAA is doing a "Land Grab" for the remaining airspace while at the same time protecting the "BIG" industry players well established turf as well as all the small businesses run by FAA approved pilots (think crop dusters and other private industry based "Full Size" aircraft pilots).

Thurmond

Lupus

No, I don't think this should be unstickied. People in the Hobby need to be aware that there are issues going on that will have a HUGE impact on them and the hobby moving forward.

People in our community should be leavening comments on the Proposed Rule Making by the FAA here: http://www.regulations.gov/#!documentDetail;D=FAA-2015-0150-0017

Making Comments and giving sound, logical arguments why we should be able to fly Beyond Line of Sight with the right equipment and training is the only way that we will be able to do so. Right now, under public law 112-95 section 336 we fly as "Model Aircraft" and so must fly within line of sight. You can find that here: http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/PLAW-112publ95/pdf/PLAW-112publ95.pdf

The only way we are going to be able to fly beyond line of sight is with the FAA's blessing. We need them to incorporate that into the New Proposed Rulemaking or we will be limited by that, and while there is a lot of fun to be had within line of sight, I bet most of us would like to be able to fly beyond line of sight when flying FPV. Technically if you are siting in your living room and fly a mini quad FPV into another room in the house that you aren't in, your in violation of the law right now, since you are out of line of sight. Public Law 112-95 Section 336 gives the FAA the authority to levy fines on you for that violation.

theblacksmith

new all this just started looking into the hobby a month ago. I am really interested in fpv. so is it banned or not cause I still see videos posted of the ft guys using the fatsharks. so is it banned or not. or what are the rules for it.

thanks guys

SnowRocker88

Amateur pilot and builder
new all this just started looking into the hobby a month ago. I am really interested in fpv. so is it banned or not cause I still see videos posted of the ft guys using the fatsharks. so is it banned or not. or what are the rules for it.

thanks guys

The FAA rules state that we must fly "within line of sight". It doesn't say anything about having to fly BY line-of sight. So, my interpretation is that we can fly FPV but you should still be able to ditch the goggles and maintain control at all times.

Basically it's in line with logic. If your FPV system fails or loses signal, you should still be able to recover whatever it is you're flying.

krinaman

No, I don't think this should be unstickied. People in the Hobby need to be aware that there are issues going on that will have a HUGE impact on them and the hobby moving forward.

People in our community should be leavening comments on the Proposed Rule Making by the FAA here: http://www.regulations.gov/#!documentDetail;D=FAA-2015-0150-0017

Making Comments and giving sound, logical arguments why we should be able to fly Beyond Line of Sight with the right equipment and training is the only way that we will be able to do so. Right now, under public law 112-95 section 336 we fly as "Model Aircraft" and so must fly within line of sight. You can find that here: http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/PLAW-112publ95/pdf/PLAW-112publ95.pdf

The only way we are going to be able to fly beyond line of sight is with the FAA's blessing. We need them to incorporate that into the New Proposed Rulemaking or we will be limited by that, and while there is a lot of fun to be had within line of sight, I bet most of us would like to be able to fly beyond line of sight when flying FPV. Technically if you are siting in your living room and fly a mini quad FPV into another room in the house that you aren't in, your in violation of the law right now, since you are out of line of sight. Public Law 112-95 Section 336 gives the FAA the authority to levy fines on you for that violation.

FYI - The proposed rule you linked is for non-hobby/non-recreational use.

BigShooter

You are absolutely correct with the assessment of your property rights. It has been long held that you own your property from the center of earth to the heavens. It wasn't until commercial interests in these regards came about that governments became involved in legislating otherwise through color of law.

camo

im so happy i live in the UK, but all of this will be happening hear soon. some people just ruin it for every one else!!

Revere

Interesting video here showing fpv drones being used to inspect New Yorks steam tunnels.
Cool you might think, but what has it to do with the subject of this thread? as it happens - a lot.

You will notice that they use fpv, they fly inside an enclosed space and buildings and they most certainly do not fly line of sight. All verboten according to the proposal by the FAA. And even more so is that they are doing so in a commercial capacity.

Lets think about the plus sides of using a drone in this situation,

Cost - "Con Ed says it could save $100,000 every time the drone goes to work."

Time/efficiency - 1 or 2 days with a drone compared to a week by a person. In an emergency a drone can be used pretty much right away to find the cause instead of waiting for the tubes to cool enough to send a man inside.

Safety - People don't get trapped or hurt in the pipes.

But apparently the FAA thinks that these are bad things, evil things that could cost lives and.....other bad stuff. Things which need to be stomped in the face by the jackboot of authority.

Frankly the FAA are muppets.

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Frankly the FAA are muppets.

Muppet are friendly, warm creatures that have helped millions of kids learn about reading, diversity, and community.

Let's please not drag them into the sewage where misguided government overreach dwells. Nothing should be dragged down to that level.