Flite Fest 2017: Bugatti 100P

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
I'm an early riser ;) The SIZE in relation to the airplane is a factor, then the number of them is also a factor. Perhaps your google-fu and turn up images of the airplane for you to look over and see where they may go.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Maybe after I run out and fly these few batteries in the Gremlin before the rains come since I am up this early and seemingly grumpy.. Hopefully I got the NTSC / PAL settings matched between the camera and the dvr so the sky is not blue and anything green is rust colored like the last attempt to record was. I THINK I may even have a spot to try some tree dancing with it providing I can make it to the area I see on Google maps.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Ok, had some login issues but I'm back now. TexMechs is the winner!!!!

In fact these are lag bolts on the full scale. They are for tightening wood together. So, the aim here is to inset some plastic straws to make the recess and these little button head thingys will be inserted inside to simulate the head of the lag bolts.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
but but .... lag bolts have square heads...

Tricksie he is my precious VERY tricksie indeed.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Well, they don't in France! I have it on authority from the EAA museum that they are hex head lag bolts.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
To further illustrate what I'm doing here, I'll add some pictures.

And before anyone points it out, I did indeed miscount on my reference picture. There are in fact 33 on each side. I measured equally along each side and made a pencil mark. Then I used a dremel tool that was the same diameter as a plastic straw I found that was about the right size.
IMG_3830.JPG

I sanded the outside of the straw with 220 grit for glue to adhere to. Then I cut it into tiny pieces.
IMG_3833.JPG

The Titebond II glue will cure overnight and then I can cut the excess, sand with a block to blend, shoot more primer before some final paint. THEN I can add the 3D prints, which have been painted silver. I'll use canopy glue as it dries clear.
IMG_3834.JPG

Also completed one wheel chock set today. I opted out of the black because I liked the look of the white better and it was less work.
IMG_3831.JPG

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
This is going to be a really awesome detail.

Cranialrectosis: I would be shocked if he adds any noseart as the original didn't have any. She does deserve a good name. Probably something French :)

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
No nose art. The airplane itself is the art and I do not want to detract from that. Name? Probably not. But maybe "La maîtresse"

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Glue finally cured late in the day. Here is a rough first cut of the straws.
IMG_3842.JPG

After some fine trimming and sanding we are at a good place. Unfortunately, the sanding also displayed weakness so I had to glue in 3 straws again. Oh well.
IMG_3843.JPG

Finished the other set of chocks. Love the look when she is parked.
IMG_3844.JPG

And up close. Most of the dust you see is in fact... baby powder. Lots of sanding has been done but there is more to come yet but I do hope to have some primer going on the main air frame over the long weekend.
IMG_3845.JPG

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Well, it was a fun long weekend. I got the Gee Bee out to fly and had some good laughs with the guys at the field. Good family time including science experiments... you do not want to know what CLR does to raw eggs.

Moving on...

I got the battery hatch mostly wrapped up. There was some additional blending work that had to be done. Nothing the light weight spackle could not handle. I still need to insert the printed bolt heads on the other side but you get the idea of what is going on here.
IMG_3862.JPG

IMG_3861.JPG

The next step is to mask off the motor (spinners and props have been removed), the control surfaces, and check for areas around the cockpit where the tape has pulled off so that I am fully prepped to start applying some primer.

Lots of checking for rough areas ahead and sanding back and re-checking. Once that is done I'll do some additional masking for panel lines. I've extensively looked over reference pictures and the construction uses overlapped panels as opposed to butt-jointed panels. The technique for these kinds of lines are similar using primer. For butt-joints I use 1/64 Chart-pak tape and apply the primer then, sand back and remove the tape and it leaves a small groove that simulates a panel line. With overlap panels, you apply masking tape and spray the primer on just one side so there is a lip. It is much more subtle of a line.

From there, flush rivets all around and then I can start applying blue.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
In order to paint the pockets and the root of each surface I had to paint them before permanently mounting them for the maiden flight. In an ideal world, the entire thing would be painted first but there is a LOT of finish work involved. In the event that the maiden went south, I wanted to make sure I had time to re-build and fly before FFEast. It is a compromise but I've learned over the years that to fly a model that is completely done is... risky. Not foolish but has inherent risks associated with time. Repairs require careful re-work of details and some need to be completely re-done.

An example is on my Sikorsky S-39. The tumble I had a FF last year required new glass work to be done. I lost some rivets and paint that has to be re-done as a consequence of the repair. Doing this work twice is unnecessary IMO on an unproven airframe.

agentkbl

Illegal Squid Fighting?
I have an Idea for the name. "Espoirs et rêves" I think that is fairly representative of us on the forum. (you can google translate it if necessary). actually, this one is better. "S'il vous plaît ne pas pelouse dard"

all jokes aside, it's looking beautiful. you chose a great hue of blue and the scale detail is outstanding.

TexMechsRobot

Posted a thousand or more times
In order to paint the pockets and the root of each surface I had to paint them before permanently mounting them for the maiden flight. In an ideal world, the entire thing would be painted first but there is a LOT of finish work involved.

Interesting to note, this is how Boeing builds their planes in real life although for different reasons. The balance of the control surfaces is critical and this happens early in the assembly process so they paint them early. All of the planes that run through the factory will have painted rudders. It makes it easy to determine the buyer as well since some of the brand elements are showing. Here is one the shows the old Alaska Airlines livery being assembled.

ss-100427-boeing-01.nbcnews-ux-1024-900.jpg

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
I'm still not thinking I will name this one. The thought that it would detract from this subject's historical significance is something strongly pulling me away from any sort of fantasy aircraft.

That is an interesting note from Boeing. Very cool.

I had a little time yesterday to start the masking of the airframe. As each control surface has very tight clearance in spots it went a lot slower than I expected. I have learned over the years that being very careful at this stage is crucial to ensuring an optimal finish. Lots of tape and paper towels. I'm not too terribly worried about bleed through on the paper towels as the same blue will go over top but it does help to prevent work that does not need to be done.
IMG_3869.JPG

IMG_3868.JPG

IMG_3870.JPG

We are now in June and FF is just a month and a half away. My target total completion date is 26JUN for an event at my job. It showcases what people do for hobbies or have talent for. I'll be bringing along the Sikorsky as well for this. It boils down to only having 4 weekends left for completion. LOTS left to do with little time for distraction.