FT Storch Owners Thread

mrwzrd59

Old Guy Geek
I dig my Storch but I want to try a Bushwacker yet. I find myself doing more and more 3D and the Storch just won't roll quick enough. Yes, I have an FT3d but it can't hold a candle to my Visionaire. The only problem with the Visionaire is its too fragile. I know the solution is to just not crash but I'm teaching myself to do rolling harriers and that leads to a huge cartwheel if I don't get the exit right. I have a few too many glue repair joints on it too! I hope the Bushwacker will become a decent dance partner!

Capt_Beavis

Posted a thousand or more times
The storch is a great plane. I had done a couple of mods to mine.

The tail was getting beaten up on some rough ground so I added a tail wheel. The gear popped off a couple of times so I reinforced with with popsicle sticks and zip ties.

I have had to reglue the wing twice, the last time i used extreme packing tape and it seems much stronger.

IMG_0607.JPG
IMG_0641.JPG

Capt_Beavis

Posted a thousand or more times
I really want to try a clipped wing version, maybe take 3" off each side of the wing. If I really get bored I may try a tri-motor variant.

Last edited:

airhawk

Crashing Ace
i want to see a twin storch im modding mine after i get use to it i was thinking battery trays and trying a screw in wing i dont know theres so much to do

Stafford

Here's my storch, just before its maiden today:

GOytpA9.jpg

I tried to make my own steerable tail wheel, but gave up after a couple of failed attempts and just purchased one. Other than one of the wheels falling off at take off, it flew great! I'm a complete novice, and between my tiny trainer, mini guinea, and this beast, I found the storch to be the easiest to fly. Very slow, and very stable.

I'm using just the half-length ailerons, as I might add the separate flaps at a later time.

Stafford

Nice storch id re try the tail wheel mod ive heard its useful

I will probably do that for future planes, but like I said, I just purchased a steerable tail wheel assembly from the local hobby shop. It was easy to install, and doesn't put much strain on the rudder.

FT Storch Pre maiden questions

Hi,
i have been working on my storch (the SBK, it cost a fortune to ship it into the UK but having built it i realise i made the right decision as no way could i scratch build it out of depron!) over the last few weeks, and am almost ready for the maiden.

5fOHSpN.jpg
LU7c6zD.jpg

i have a few questions though. firstly, i set the control horns and servo arms up as it says on the leaflet, but on the elevator and aileron the downward movement has more authority/ it goes down further. how should i get around this?

also, where do you guys put your battery? does it go under the power pod? or inside it?

Will

Tench745

Master member
I dig my Storch but I want to try a Bushwacker yet. I find myself doing more and more 3D and the Storch just won't roll quick enough. Yes, I have an FT3d but it can't hold a candle to my Visionaire. The only problem with the Visionaire is its too fragile. I know the solution is to just not crash but I'm teaching myself to do rolling harriers and that leads to a huge cartwheel if I don't get the exit right. I have a few too many glue repair joints on it too! I hope the Bushwacker will become a decent dance partner!

Sounds like you need a lot more altitude, mrwzrd. ;)

I have a few questions though. firstly, i set the control horns and servo arms up as it says on the leaflet, but on the elevator and aileron the downward movement has more authority/ it goes down further. how should i get around this?

also, where do you guys put your battery? does it go under the power pod? or inside it?

Will, are the holes on your control horn lined up with the hinge line of your control surface? Also, are the wires flexing at all when you give full up? When your servos are centered, is the servo horn perpendicular to the body?

I am not sure if the servo arms are perpendicular to the fuselage, should they be oerpendicluar with the horizontal stab or the bottom of the fuselage? I put the control horns jnto the slots on the speed build kits, so they shiuld be in the right place. Another question, what flight times do you guys get on a 2200? On the flite test video they say 30 mins! Is this correct?
Will

Ron DuBray

here is a look at mine I got it into the air today and it flies awesomely. On the ground it likes to spin to the left

Storch%u00252B2015%252C%2B2%2B%25281%2529.JPG

airhawk

Crashing Ace
nice paint scheme try throttling up slowly for the ground problems if you try to just start up it may be back firing

airhawk

Crashing Ace
for most of us we try to time our flights but personally i don't care about flight times i just try to have the most fun in whatever time window i get

Bayboos

Another question, what flight times do you guys get on a 2200? On the flite test video they say 30 mins! Is this correct?
Will

Yes, that is correct; and yes, that is possible. And yet another "yes", it becomes a little boring over 15 minutes. The Storch is not designed to break endurance records. It can do that solely because of low wing loading, but requires flying slow with minimum control inputs. The only interesting thing you can do with that is to practice "low&slow" flights (less than one wingspan above the ground) - it sure is a quite useful skill, but it doesn't take much time to get boring as well :)

What I do with my plane most of the times recently is to practice "10 seconds flights", taking off and landing in the same spot in less than (you guessed it) 10 seconds. This is great fun, but a little exhausing; 15 minutes of practice requires another 15 minutes of break. It would be silly not to change the battery at that time. The only time I hit the battery alarm on the Storch this year was after ~45 minutes trying some thermal soaring. That was one interesting experience; but on the other hand it proved this plane is not the best glider (to say the least :) ).

Last edited:

Ron DuBray

I was up doing all kinds of stuff yesterday then landed and tested the 2200 battery after 10 hard mins of pushing the plane to its max (really some of the guys were asking what GA steel rebar I spared the wing with?) and the charge was 3.88 volts per cell down from 4.19. so I can see 20 min flights without a problem That whole Power Pack C set up is mad efficient in this plane.

I just maddened the storch (the flight lasted 35 seconds), and noticed it wanted to pull aggressively to the left, probably due to torque as there wasn't much wind (6 mph). it also tried to torque roll on takeoff. how should i counter this? the elevator was also quite anaemic when gaining altitude, and it was surprisingly fast considering what i saw of other planes on youtube. what mods could i make to solve these issues (excluding it being faster than expected)?
Will