FT Storch Owners Thread

rc-plane

my stork maiden, before it crashed

unfortunately I pushed my airframe to hard and folded the wings in a loop, but i had a lot of fun with this. This was my second time in the air after not flying for 20 years. Thanks flite test for making this happen

Last edited:

Capt_Beavis

Posted a thousand or more times
How are you launching and how much throttle are you giving it?

The last two times I have seen torque roll on a maiden lead to crash the elevator channel was reversed.

You should be able to launch it just above half throttle. The Storch will veer to the left a bit but it is easily controllable.

I just maddened the storch (the flight lasted 35 seconds), and noticed it wanted to pull aggressively to the left, probably due to torque as there wasn't much wind (6 mph). it also tried to torque roll on takeoff. how should i counter this? the elevator was also quite anaemic when gaining altitude, and it was surprisingly fast considering what i saw of other planes on youtube. what mods could i make to solve these issues (excluding it being faster than expected)?
Will

Capt_Beavis

If you folded the wings I would guess that the wing wasn't properly reinforced. I have a hard time believing anyone flies theirs harder than I do. Try some extreme packing tape over the joint. Mine weakened and flexed a few times and I had to re-glue it until I used the extreme tape (fibers going both directions).

unfortunately I pushed my airframe to hard and folded the wings in a loop, but i had a lot of fun with this. This was my second time in the air after not flying for 20 years. Thanks flite test for making this happen

I took off from the ground at half throttle with no elevator, as i do with my delta ray and t28. It immediately pulled to left and was very hard to control, and also always wanted to lose altitude, making it very hard to control. I might try a smaller motor or angling the motor up and to the right a bit.
Will

Bayboos

Oh man, this motor is not nearly powerful enough to make the plane "hard to control". Maybe it will make it a little asymmetric; but nothing you shouldn't be able to trim out. And - if anything - the motor should be pointing down, not up.

All this plus your description suggests your plane have some bigger problem. It would be helpful if you would post some pictures of the plane, maybe some of us will spot the problem. From my own experience, I know that the Storch is farily immune to the crooked tail; thus I'm guessing there is something wrong with the wing. But I can't say anything more without the pictures.

the wing doesn't sit perfectly on the fuselage due to the landing gear which protrudes a bit. the gear has been taken off now anyway as it fell of on landing! the biggest problem was that is couldn't gain altitude, so would always 'land' when i tried to turn it as it couldn't go over about 5 meters altitude. the torque was a bit worrying, but it may have been a cross wind looking back at the footage.
a clip from the maiden showing its inability to gain altitude:
https://youtu.be/mU88oUhtJ9I

i will post some pictures later when i get the storch out again to fix the gear.
Will

Last edited:

Bayboos

Can't see much on this video, except that it seems underpowered. This seems strange, the motor you have is powerful enought for unlimited vertical (unless the plane is extremely heavy). That in turn suggests there is a problem with motor/prop setup; and the lack of stability is simply a result of not enough airspeed. Check your power setup again, atarting from the very basics: is the prop installed corretcly (not slipping on the shaft) and in the right direction (letters/markings facing forward)? Is it the right size (somewhere between 8x4 and 10x6)? Is the ESC calibrated? If you need, please refer to one of the FT Beginner Series videos: Beginner Series - Power System. If that would not fix your problems, please try to make some detailed pictures and/or video; and we'll take it from there.

Pig007

I agree with Bayboos. I had a similar issue and it was due to the prop not tightened enough. I would check your prop adapter and prop to make sure nothing is slipping

i have changed the motor/esc to the esc/prop from your storch light article bayboos as i want a more scale flight, but will swap between the two. i used a 10/4.7 prop (the one from the c power pack). it may have been that the esc wasn't calibrated, but it certainly wasn't underpowered, you can't tee the takeoff in the clip but it got off from long grass in abut a meter, and seemed to be a similar speed to my pz t28 (a bit slower). i might try recalibrating the esc tomorrow (it is almost night in the UK). the prop was the right way around, and felt pretty tight. it may be that my storch is too heavy, as i painted, varnished and sealed the edges with hot glue, but it seemed to balance perfectly with a 2200 implying it was a similar weight to the specified weight. i will inspect the prop and motor tomorrow.

Will

Capt_Beavis

A meter is actually kind of long for a Storch take off. The generally get off the ground right away with little rolling. If you say it launches but wont climb that sounds like a power issue to me too.

It was taking off from 2-3 inch grass, and may not have even taken that ling to get up. I will try the different power setups and recalibrate the esc, although the tests may have to wait due to bad weather.
Will

airhawk

Crashing Ace
i was looking over my storch setup and i realized ive almost maxed everything out the battery,esc,motor except the servo i cant think of anything else

I got bored with my Storch and had moved on to other planes. It was an excellent four channel trainer. Recently I decided to put an APM 2.6 and GPS in it that I had from another project. I also threw in a telemetry radio to control it through Mission Planer on my laptop. Now it just flys around on its own. Oh, and it also lands on its own. It also works great as a trainer using the geofence feature and stability mode on the APM. I had my girlfriend and her 12 year old son flying it the other day. They looked like pros after a few minutes.

airhawk

Crashing Ace
im thinking of crazy things to do once i get the hag of the storch are you using the flaps or are you just using the simple ailerons

airhawk

Crashing Ace
great its done thanks to notreallyme of course ill post pics tomorrow its getting late today and there's still people trick or treating

themistocles3

storch paint color

Ron DuBray-I love that paint job. Is that rattle can or brushed acrylic? Did you minwax first?

Last edited: