New Adams foam board?

jason51873

I miss the white foam board speed build kits. Even though the brown stuff is higher quality I would rather have the white back. If the goal was to promote scratch building it worked because now I scratch build everything because I hate the brown.

I dont like the brown for a few reasons.
1 - Looks like a cardboard box if you dont paint it or cover it in some way. Most people think you built your plane out of cardboard.
2 - Its much harder to prep for paint and even after prep the paint (i have tried all kinds) does not stick to it as well as it did the white stuff.
3 - More expensive. Seems like there has been a steady rise in the cost of speed build kits since the release of the brown which is understandable.

97tj-neil

I hit 3 local Dollar Tree stores and one Dollar General yesterday on the way home from work. We ended up with 40 sheets of the old formula for this winter build season.

Strix

Looking on the bright side, most of the new boards I've seen have been straighter and with less ripples than before. And the paper is bonded better and has a nicer finish. I can't wait to put some paint to this new stuff.

It sure is tough to cut, though. Increased pressure is required to reduce snags, and your blade is dull after cutting mere inches.

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
Hey guys,

Could one of you tell me the last 3 digits of the number that is right under the bar code on the sticker that comes on each sheet of foam board? From what I understand, the number on the "new" board (524) is different from the number on the "old" board (525). I want to make sure I'm buying the right stuff.

Strix

Hey guys,

Could one of you tell me the last 3 digits of the number that is right under the bar code on the sticker that comes on each sheet of foam board? From what I understand, the number on the "new" board (524) is different from the number on the "old" board (525). I want to make sure I'm buying the right stuff.

I have a mix of old and new foam in my personal supply and can confirm that is correct.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
525 is the old.

pT9PAsa.jpg

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
Thanks Nic! I've been driving around to the local Dollar Tree stores to try to buy any of the old stuff they have left. Have you been using the new stuff, of did you just purchase it for testing purposes?

Last edited:

Kingbird

Posting Elsewhere
525 is the old.

This is a great thread and I appreciate all the posts. I especially appreciated this little gem of information! I went through my supply and found that everything I've bought lately is the new stuff. One sheet remaining in my stash of the old stuff. I have noticed a difference in how the new board cuts compared to the old but am in the middle of my first complete build with it. So far, aside from the cutting issue, it seems to be working just fine. Sheets are flat and no issues with the paper. I'm not sure there is enough difference to make it worth making the rounds of all the local stores.

The R.L. Adams website says that they released a new foam board called Readi-Board Premium that is "thicker, sturdier, and even flatter" foam than the normal one. I think they might have done that in favor of the Premium foam. :confused:

ducksoup

Well this isn't good news! I have about 40+ sheets of the old so i guess I'll be switching to the FT WR foam board after this is gone. I just wish i could get it locally. Shipping on a box of 25 to Seattle is about $35 so that brings the cost per sheet to $3.40 each. Pretty big jump from $1.00! The water resistant foam isn't a big deal for me because i use colored packing tape on all my planes and hot glue all the exposed edges. Any chance Flite Test will offer their WR foam to wholesalers across the country? Someone like Hobby Lobby? I'm sure the water resistant qualities would be very appealing to crafters, especially for outdoor use.

CaptBill

Try cutting th e New DTFB on a softer surface. Like another pc of foam
I have found that if my blade can be through bottom pc.of.paper, rather than just the tip cutting it, it will produce a better cut.
Also,To reduce warping try storing your foam in a stack on its side with a couple.layers of dry cardboard below and on top. Some weight on top of the top layers helps as well.

jpot1

Elite member
Interesting idea Capt. Bill. I have noticed that it is much more difficult to get clean cuts. Also much more difficult to remove the paper. I had no trouble on the old stuff but definitely had to moisten the paper to get it to release. The bright white color is nice though.

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
I just got a case of 25 sheets from DT, but I haven't checked to see if they're "old" or "new". Either way, it's all I've got to work with. I would MUCH rather build with WR foamboard, but I simply cannot bring myself to pay that much for shipping a box. How can we help get our local shops to stock it?

Stephen_Mc

I was really stoked to get into this and scratch building after discovering it all this week. Then there was this little caveat about the new foam and its pitfalls. No one need bother checking the Gainesville Tx Dollar Tree today - I liberated all the 525 they had. :p

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
I started my C-17 build a couple days ago. So far I haven't run into the cutting-trouble that others have mentioned, but the paper IS decidedly more difficult to remove, from BOTH sides. One side is slightly easier, but no where near as easy and clean as it used to be.

FYI: the "easy" side for me has always been the side withOUT the label-sticker on it. Seems to be consistent.

I'm not as disappointed with this 'new foam' as I expected to be. It's still good stuff, especially since the flatness is improved across the board. Every sheet in my case looks the same.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Wait till you crash.

The new foam just breaks. You can even grab the edge of the new foam, while the paper is still on, and just rip section of it off with your fingers and it breaks clean. Trying this on the old board is nearly impossible.

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
That is some interesting behavior. It sounds like the paper itself is stiffer, i.e. more brittle. Perhaps due to the better paper-foam bond it breaks with the foam more consistently?

I wish my local RC shop (Rob's RC, Huntington Beach) would stock it. Anyone know how to pitch that? Or maybe Aloft Hobbies would be interested...