nnMIG 3 Swappable - design, build, and review log

Nic, congratulations!!! I just read that Flite Test will be selling your Mig 3.

Make sure they include score cuts for all bevel cuts! :)

Ray

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Thanks Ray! The version that FT is selling is actually a different plane than my speedwing MiG. To keep the design in line with the FT spirit it has been simplified for faster building. You won't run into any bevel issues because the wing is not tapered on the edges.

... You won't run into any bevel issues because the wing is not tapered on the edges.

But still there are bevel cuts for control surfaces as well as the double bevel cut for the wing fold. This would be a good opportunity for FliteTest to include score cuts for those bevels. Just saying.

Ray

PS I'm sure a dumbed down (simplified) version of your plane will still be a great flier!!! Personally, FliteTest seems to have plenty of planes that are great for beginner and intermediate builders. Seems like this would be a good time to move into advanced building techniques. Just my opinion. Though I do understand the desire for standards and routine, ie if you've built a mustang or spitfire than the mig should be easy and quick.

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
There is a video on the nnMig3v2. I wasn't happy with my video production skills so was left unlisted but here is the link.

The plane still lives, but I just robbed the Tx for another project. If I get a chance to bring it back to flight status anytime soon, I will show my throws. Expo of 30% on all surfaces is where I do most maiden flights to help keep my jitters in check.

Good luck Nk4alex !

Nk4alex

Here it's mine. Just WOW!! The best plane i ever made, 0 trim, flies like an arrow. Very windy day so the landing was a little bit rough. Nice job Nic!

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
There is a video on the nnMig3v2. I wasn't happy with my video production skills so was left unlisted but here is the link.

The plane still lives, but I just robbed the Tx for another project. If I get a chance to bring it back to flight status anytime soon, I will show my throws. Expo of 30% on all surfaces is where I do most maiden flights to help keep my jitters in check.

Good luck Nk4alex !

Thanks for sharing, Aaron! It's a bummer your ground cam footage was in time lapse, but it was still cool!

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Here it's mine. Just WOW!! The best plane i ever made, 0 trim, flies like an arrow. Very windy day so the landing was a little bit rough. Nice job Nic!

Awesome! Looks to fly really nice for you. One comment - your stall at the end, I think it was made worse by the amount of elevator throw you had.

Because this design has a short tail moment, elevator input can quickly pitch the the plane and cause a stall. In order to figure out if you have TOO much throw, try this. Next time you're flying, go up high and sit about half throttle, then jam you elevator full stick. If you do a perfect loop then you're fine, but if the plane tips a wing or does a corkscrew roll, then your elevator has too much throw.

mjgak

Woooo!! What electronics did you use?
Hey guys, quick question and perhaps a silly one but going with the recommendations I went with a NTM 35-36. As I took it out to install it I realized the shaft is inverted (probably for drones?). What is the solution to this , how do I install it?
Thanks