XB-70 Valkyrie: FT Style

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
Just a quick question Ben, are you going to make a smaller one that runs on either a power pack C or a 70mm? (or maybe twin 70's) I love this design but, as most of us on here, I can't afford 6, 70mm edfs.

Just a thought...

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Just a quick question Ben, are you going to make a smaller one that runs on either a power pack C or a 70mm? (or maybe twin 70's) I love this design but, as most of us on here, I can't afford 6, 70mm edfs.

Just a thought...

It wasn't in my original plan, but after seeing what jpot1 threw together I think it's a great idea and shouldn't be too much extra work. Especially since I'm sure to have periods of 'slow building' time where I'll need a break, and designing something small and fun like that would be a nice distraction.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Awesome! Please take some video if you can, I'd love to see how it flies for others. Did you have to add any weight anywhere to get the CG close? FYI: That mark on the plans is just a suggestion, it's a pretty forgiving setup. I think you could move the CG back an inch or so and get it to float a little better.

No video yet - was still pretty windy today, but my daughter has tomorrow off and I have a half day so I'll try to get some. I did do a few more test tosses and tweaking the control surfaces on the canards did help - though I've never messed with canards before and they seemed to work backwards of what I expected - though being in front of the CG I guess that makes sense. I was getting 20-30 foot glides out of it but still a bit more nose dive at the end than I'd like.

I didn't add any weight for the sake of weight, but I did add some extra hot glue on the nose to help protect it in hard landings, just a somewhat thick smear across the top/bottom/sides for about 3/4" since the first few test flights resulted in a slightly crumpled nose. (We don't really have "soil" here in the desert - even when we have grass it's growing out of compacted sand :D )

If I get a chance I'll try shifting the CG back a big and see how it does. As it is it glides across my neighbor's front yard quite nicely (my front yard is taken up with carports and trees but the neighbor lets us fly in her yard.) so we'll have to go up to a park if I floats much more!

Definitely a blast for how quick and easy it was to toss together. I could easily see it being a no glue build with one of those brass paper fasteners carefully placed:

download.jpeg

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
It wasn't in my original plan, but after seeing what jpot1 threw together I think it's a great idea and shouldn't be too much extra work. Especially since I'm sure to have periods of 'slow building' time where I'll need a break, and designing something small and fun like that would be a nice distraction.

I didn't even think about the slow building stages, I was just thinking about CG placement, and solving bad tendencies before they show up in the larger model. But ya, In some way it would be like the baby Bugatti.

jpot1

Elite member
Did you scale the plans up at all? Or did you just add the power pod and engine nacelle to he original?

No scaling. Just added a bottom plate and some side walls - similar to the FT-22. Got a chance to maiden and it was really windy. Definitely was tail heavy and not sure if that caused the wing rocking or if it was simply too much weight for the 20” span. Squished the nose a bit and waiting for better weather.

Pieliker96

Elite member
Dang! I was planning the exact same thing: a 1/20 scale (9.45 ft) long Valkyrie with 4 70mm edfs, retracts, but no folding tips. The only difference I can see is the weight: Mine is projected to be under 8 lbs. It's still in the planning stage, but I guess I'll have some competition...

josh yoder

This build looks awesome. I just recently got my cnc foam cutter working and was searching the forum for a good Chuck glider design. I can't wait to try this one. Also look forward to seeing your big Valkyrie fly!

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Well, yesterday was even crazier windy so no chance to chuck the 70 :( But tonight was beautiful so my daugher and I had a nice bit of glider toss until the nose couldn't take anymore :D

Snagged a little bit of video....but hard to record my own tosses and hers still need some work :)

I kept experimenting with the canards and it kept gliding nicer and nicer, I was eventually able to make it all the way across the neighbors front yard and into her driveway - just took way more adjustment on the canard than I expected:

20171010_180930.jpg

But too many bad tosses over pavement means the nose needs a bit more TLC before we fly again:

20171010_180935 (1).jpg

It's definitely way more than $1 worth of fun though :D

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
That's awesome!!! I love seeing other families having fun together.

Tips on throwing: Hold it at the back of the lower fuse, with your index finger behind the lower fuse. Give it a long smooth firm throw straight over your head and use your finger for leverage. This javelin-throw works best for distance with the canards un-deflected.

Agreed: way more than $1 of fun. Oh, and my nose doesn't look much better, but it still flies great! :D

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Ok, time to get my butt in gear.....tonight I'll start folding wings.

Here is all the foam, ready to glue: :eek:

IMG_4829.JPG

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I missed the past posts here. I have to say, I'll take a couple videos of parents and kids flying over a dozen FPV videos. When I tell my niece, "let's go out and fly", her eyes stay on the aircraft for less than a minute and then she's thinking about Barbies. I think the real thing she wants is to be connected. We do have a plan though. I told her the only way she's getting me to play Barbies with her is if we send one up flying. We already have a code name for this Barbie, Reconda. God bless you for keeping the hobby where it belongs. Thank you Jason and Ben for posting those.

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Construction begun! I got the wingtips folded up tonight, and ....even though I designed the plans and I know the dimensions, I'm continually surprised at the scale of this thing. The folding wingtips almost dwarf the chuck glider entirely! :p

IMG_4921.JPG

LitterBug

Techno Nut
You're bound and determined to make me regret sharing that project :D I'll admit those 3D printed props hold up better than I expected...but I have had a few of them blow apart after some hard landings. (Note - using that setup to launch props horizontally instead of vertically is an even worse idea than it sounds like....but a lot of fun :D )

I'll have to keep an eye on your threads and see what you come up with ;)

Looks like for starters, it will be DYS 2038x3 props on 1102 motors in 3D printed ducts... (or toilet paper tubes....)

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Curious what sort of spar situation you are looking at. As your folds are showing that span-wise you are using the weak length of the foam grain. Not doubting your mad ski11z, just offering a consideration.