Taranis Qx7 Will not connect via USB

XxGROWLERxX

Good morning everyone. Picked up a Qx7 from Flite Test this week, and seem to be having a bit of an issue.

Radio powers up with no problems. I can move through menus and set settings till my heart is content. The problem comes when I try to connect to USB.

I have tried 4 cables, and 3 computers, and I cannot get any to recognize the radio. When I plug it in in standard boot mode, nothing happens at all. When I set the radio to bootloader, the screen changes to say USB connected, but the computer never recognizes it.

Restarting either device (the computer, or the radio) does nothing. Downloaded the OpenTX companion, and that wont even detect the radio in the bootloader mode.

Can anyone suggest anything else? I am at a bit of a wits end at the moment here.

Thanks!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Seems Open TX is picky how it talks. Taranis uses their own version of open TX. If you arettrying to update you need to keep in mind that each version of open TX has its own version of Companion. If your Taranis came with Open TX 1.9 and you are trying to connect with the latest companion like 2.1 or higher at this point (I think?) it will not work.

You would have to open and flash thru companion 1.9, Flash to 2.x and then work with new settings and such in the new 2.x companion. Check what version is on your radio and go from there.

XxGROWLERxX

Well, ill answer my own question.
One of the large connectors from the main board wasnt completely in the socket. It was half in half out. So I pushed it all the way in, and the radio connected right away to USB.

theboatpirate

I wish it had worked for mine. exact same problem/FW version(2.2), not the same result. This thing is hard to get hooked to a PC! I'm new at this but I don't know how to give up. All i need to do is get the computer to see the Q X7 and i'm green. I have the drivers but it still won't install. :confused:

I'llmakeitwork

I am having the same issue, my radio registers that it is plugged in, but my laptop will not recognize that it is plugged in. I followed the guide and no drivers are showing up like it says is supposed to happen. I really would love some help so I can use it for liftoff.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Are you using a charge only cable by chance? The Taranis should auto show up in device manager as well as in your my computer as Taranis and another hard drive.(the disc) out of the box.

Ski_Me

I'm having the same issue I even got a new cable but it still does not connect. I can start the transmitter up with the bootloader and connect the cable and the radio shows up as a drive but otherwise it does not connect when it is plugged in.

north&south

The problem is device manager, I had the same problem for a long time now it is FIXED..... Go to the following link and do il FIXED.

Hope it works it did for me.

HeffZilla

I know I'm a little late to this post but I finally figured out my issue and figured I'd post to help others out too. I too was having issues with this on my FrSky Taranis Q X7. I finally got it to work by playing around. There were two things I ended up doing to make this work (see step below).
  1. Follow these instructions for installing the driver: https://opentx.gitbooks.io/manual-for-opentx-2-2/companion/flashing.html
    1. Be sure to follow the instructions carefully. For example, I had to power off the Tx before plugging in the USB cable.
  2. I wasn't getting my Tx to it's bootloader by pressing in both lower trims and then pressing the power button. To get this to work I had to hold the trims in and press the power button and immediately let go. If you hold any buttons after pressing the power button, it will not go into the bootloader.

Hope this helps.

rockford007

I know I'm a little late to this post but I finally figured out my issue and figured I'd post to help others out too. I too was having issues with this on my FrSky Taranis Q X7. I finally got it to work by playing around. There were two things I ended up doing to make this work (see step below).
  1. Follow these instructions for installing the driver: https://opentx.gitbooks.io/manual-for-opentx-2-2/companion/flashing.html
    1. Be sure to follow the instructions carefully. For example, I had to power off the Tx before plugging in the USB cable.
  2. I wasn't getting my Tx to it's bootloader by pressing in both lower trims and then pressing the power button. To get this to work I had to hold the trims in and press the power button and immediately let go. If you hold any buttons after pressing the power button, it will not go into the bootloader.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for all of your discussions... I am gonna try this today and see how it works... kind of in same situation...
1. made all the necessary changes to the controller radio setup
2. updated firmware and sd content
3. computer detecting taranis and the sd card inside it
4. can see the joy stick taranis logo in device list

but still when going to game controller and selecting the joy stick there is no driver or other details showing up. simulator not detecting anything either... I guess its the driver's issue..

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
You have to go back in and turn off storage to use it as a joystick. The driver will detect it as a drive for working with the sd card in place OR it will detect it as a joystick. It can not do both at the same time. I find it easier to leave it as a joystick and just remove the sd card and work directly in the computer for any changes there unless updating firmware (which I haven't since I set it up originally on my X9d)

rockford007

You have to go back in and turn off storage to use it as a joystick. The driver will detect it as a drive for working with the sd card in place OR it will detect it as a joystick. It can not do both at the same time. I find it easier to leave it as a joystick and just remove the sd card and work directly in the computer for any changes there unless updating firmware (which I haven't since I set it up originally on my X9d)

When I am connecting the usb the controller is prompting me to select storage or joystick, I am selecting joystick!
then in controller dont see anything... attaching some images..(excuse the poor quality, just took with mobile)

Attachments

• IMG_20191112_133200.jpg
    IMG_20191112_133200.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20191112_133307.jpg
    IMG_20191112_133307.jpg
    10.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20191112_133315.jpg
    IMG_20191112_133315.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20191112_133331.jpg
    IMG_20191112_133331.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 0

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
You have to plug in the radio, then hold the two trims to center, then plug in the usb. Once you have done that there is a box to click in OTX companion that swaps the mode the usb port will run in. Either storage or controller mode. THEN the selection on the radio will activate it as a controller when asked.

rockford007

strange thing is, after getting frustrated trying to get my taranis recognized by computer, I hooked up my ps3 controller, and it was pretty much same thing. Windows recognized the controller but can't control anything in 'test' section ... I guess I am out of luck with simulator. :rolleyes:

takashi

I meet the same problem... and finally I solved,just double click the device in device manager, and roll back the driver in driver tab.It all solved.

Anno

You have to plug in the radio, then hold the two trims to center, then plug in the usb. Once you have done that there is a box to click in OTX companion that swaps the mode the usb port will run in. Either storage or controller mode. THEN the selection on the radio will activate it as a controller when asked.
Just wondering when you say You have to plug in the radio which cable are you talking about?